Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:11 PM

8 posts, read 15,389 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I have some questions about Williston. I will admit I already know a lot because my husband has been back and forth from that area. He is currently working outside of Williston and me, my kids, and mom will be moving to Williston.
The problem we have right now is the timing. We were gonna wait till next year but due to a current situation we will like to go now. We are aiming for the end of October and here is my question:

1. When does it start snowing, before or after Halloween? I would like to get there before it snows even though I have experience in driving in snow.

2. Will there be a lot of snow from October to December or will it be come and go? Or is it different every year? I have lived and driven in snow 15 years but I still like to be prepared.

3. I know the housing is plentiful right now but is there any specific area to look for? I will like to be as close as possible to the middle and elementary schools. We will be renting either a townhouse or a house.

4. As for schools, how are they? I saw a while back they had high scores like a 10 but now it seems to be lower, is this due to all the new kids that came in to the area? We are used to smaller town schools that invest a lot of time in kids, is this the same?

5. I read somewhere here that they are very accepting to new kids due to their being so many. Is this still true?

I actually have more questions but I can't think of them right now. I just really would like to get a sense of how it is now for families. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:43 AM

75 posts, read 162,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofi2244 View Post
Hi everybody, I have some questions about Williston. I will admit I already know a lot because my husband has been back and forth from that area. He is currently working outside of Williston and me, my kids, and mom will be moving to Williston.
The problem we have right now is the timing. We were gonna wait till next year but due to a current situation we will like to go now. We are aiming for the end of October and here is my question:

1. When does it start snowing, before or after Halloween? I would like to get there before it snows even though I have experience in driving in snow.

2. Will there be a lot of snow from October to December or will it be come and go? Or is it different every year? I have lived and driven in snow 15 years but I still like to be prepared.

3. I know the housing is plentiful right now but is there any specific area to look for? I will like to be as close as possible to the middle and elementary schools. We will be renting either a townhouse or a house.

4. As for schools, how are they? I saw a while back they had high scores like a 10 but now it seems to be lower, is this due to all the new kids that came in to the area? We are used to smaller town schools that invest a lot of time in kids, is this the same?

5. I read somewhere here that they are very accepting to new kids due to their being so many. Is this still true?

I actually have more questions but I can't think of them right now. I just really would like to get a sense of how it is now for families. Thank you.
1. A little early this year, but we got some snow yesterday.
2. I have been here 4 years and some years a lot of snow and others not so much. From here on out I never go out of town without a survival kit in my vehicle, just in case. A couple of springs ago we got 12" of snow the last week of April.
3. Plenty or varied housing. A renters market. If I have the choice, get a place with interior entrance. Very nice in the winter.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityMike View Post
1. A little early this year, but we got some snow yesterday.
2. I have been here 4 years and some years a lot of snow and others not so much. From here on out I never go out of town without a survival kit in my vehicle, just in case. A couple of springs ago we got 12" of snow the last week of April.
3. Plenty or varied housing. A renters market. If I have the choice, get a place with interior entrance. Very nice in the winter.
Thank you for reply. Already? Sure sneaks up fast. I am mostly concerned for the drive there. I will definitely keep a survival kit in car.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:25 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofi2244 View Post
Thank you for reply. Already? Sure sneaks up fast. I am mostly concerned for the drive there. I will definitely keep a survival kit in car.
Hi I am a meteorologist in Grand Forks ND... yeah that part of the state is highly variable anytime of year. Our falls are short and our springs even shorter it seems. Williston can get into the warmer air at times and loose their snowcover for a time. Anywhere along the Missouri and west and south us folks out in the eastern part of the state call the banana belt in the winter as very cold air often doesnt last too long.... but one thing the wind is ever present there....even more so that in the east. So ground blizzards are not uncommon in the winter....just a little snow and winds to 50 mph can create real bad conditions for a few hours. So yes if you need to drive anywhere outside of the city limits in the winter be sure to have a survival kit in the car.

I've never been to Williston myself so cannot comment on the living situation there, other than there was a lot of building and with the slow down the vacancies and rental amounts are a lot easier to deal with than 2-3 years ago.

I have always found the people in the Prairies to be friendly and will help you out if needed. But they tend to stick to themselves or their friends until they know you, and that can take some time. Though with kids you get to know parents a lot faster than if you moved there without kids.

Good luck

Dan

Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
What grades are your kids in? I would still say that generally the schools are great. The high school went through a small rough patch when it first opened and Bakken Elementary is still suffering considerably BUT the high school seems to have worked out the kinks and the elementary school teachers I've met seem to truly love what they do. Bakken Elementary is new, it is understaffed and is for all 5th and 6th graders in district 1. For the first time ever they decided to put 6th graders on a bell schedule which has had quite a few bumps. The principal is notorious for her lack of communication though it sounds as if that is improving. The teachers are trying but they were only able to move into the building about 4 days before school began which has caused the whole transition to be extremely difficult for parents, students and staff. However I do get the feeling they are trying their hardest.

I've been in Williston for long enough that I feel like it is home now. I'm of the firm belief that you either love it or hate it. I love it. We did have snow this morning when I woke up but it's melted. As Kamsack said the weather is really unpredictable. Last year we wore light jackets on Halloween, the year before there was hats, gloves and winter coats.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:50 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Oh and feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. I have a child and feel like I'm quite familiar with the town. We are involved in several different things in the town and honestly there is so much more available to families and kids now than before.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Hi I am a meteorologist in Grand Forks ND... yeah that part of the state is highly variable anytime of year. Our falls are short and our springs even shorter it seems. Williston can get into the warmer air at times and loose their snowcover for a time. Anywhere along the Missouri and west and south us folks out in the eastern part of the state call the banana belt in the winter as very cold air often doesnt last too long.... but one thing the wind is ever present there....even more so that in the east. So ground blizzards are not uncommon in the winter....just a little snow and winds to 50 mph can create real bad conditions for a few hours. So yes if you need to drive anywhere outside of the city limits in the winter be sure to have a survival kit in the car.

I've never been to Williston myself so cannot comment on the living situation there, other than there was a lot of building and with the slow down the vacancies and rental amounts are a lot easier to deal with than 2-3 years ago.

I have always found the people in the Prairies to be friendly and will help you out if needed. But they tend to stick to themselves or their friends until they know you, and that can take some time. Though with kids you get to know parents a lot faster than if you moved there without kids.

Good luck

Dan
Thanks for info! I come from windy area too so glad to know that. I will be sure to carry a survival kit.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
What grades are your kids in? I would still say that generally the schools are great. The high school went through a small rough patch when it first opened and Bakken Elementary is still suffering considerably BUT the high school seems to have worked out the kinks and the elementary school teachers I've met seem to truly love what they do. Bakken Elementary is new, it is understaffed and is for all 5th and 6th graders in district 1. For the first time ever they decided to put 6th graders on a bell schedule which has had quite a few bumps. The principal is notorious for her lack of communication though it sounds as if that is improving. The teachers are trying but they were only able to move into the building about 4 days before school began which has caused the whole transition to be extremely difficult for parents, students and staff. However I do get the feeling they are trying their hardest.

I've been in Williston for long enough that I feel like it is home now. I'm of the firm belief that you either love it or hate it. I love it. We did have snow this morning when I woke up but it's melted. As Kamsack said the weather is really unpredictable. Last year we wore light jackets on Halloween, the year before there was hats, gloves and winter coats.
I have a son in 3rd grade and daughter in 8th( ) She is currently in a homeschool/school hybrid but is really wanting to go back to school full time. How is the middle school? And you said the high school had a rough patch when it opened is this due to it being new or just a abundance of new kids?

Am happy to know the elementary teachers are good. So the elementary schools are divide by grades?
That is great there are a lot of activities and family things there. I have always liked it better in smaller towns with right mix of things to do. Are sports a big presence there?

Thanks so much for info, I appreciate it!

Old 10-23-2016, 09:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Here are some links that may be helpful and informative. I haven't lived there in many years, and I didn't have small children so I do not know the names of the schools near my home, but I own a home there in a neighborhood that I think is one of the best, 13th Ave. West area, near the new Library and the Hospital, and the Rec Center which is outstanding.

My renters tell me that the schools which are 1/2 a block away are considered the best. There were 2, I know one was elementary, and I believe one was middle and are across the street from the new library. Someone on CD will be able to tell you the names of these schools....near the Outlaw Steak house, and the Professional Bldg on the Hospital campus, across from the New Library. You should be able to find the general neighborhoods by looking at the maps on these links.

I think if you found a nice house to rent in this general area that you would enjoy the quiet neighborhood which is close to so many amenities.

I spent a few weekends, and at the end a full week there working on my house this summer. It was nice to reconnect to Williston after living away for so long. My husband and I loved being there, all the new improvements nearby makes it close everything and it still had a nice quiet neighborhood feel.

Good luck to you.

Williston Recreation & Parks: Online Activity Registration, Recreation Software

Home - Williston Public School District 1
Schools - Schools

Williston Community Library -- Williston, ND

Last edited by JanND; 10-23-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-01-2017, 05:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
OP Did you ever get moved to Williston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston