Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:31 PM

5 posts, read 12,824 times

Advertisements

I have another county in Wisconsin to add to the avoid list. Dunn. I think people should know what goes on here and what I have had to put up with for the past three years.

I am disabled and after a bad family situation in the town I grew up in Colorado I decided to move here at the urging and recommendation of a 'friend'. I write it that way because she turned out to be no friend at all. After I moved here, she glommed onto my elderly ailing father and scammed him for several thousand dollars. However, that's not my main beef with Dunn County, just a sideline to a horrific living situation in the county.

I moved here with my three dogs who are my best friends and companions. All were rescues and got me through dying, then being brought back only to lose a limb and undergo heart surgery. When I moved here I purchased a mobile home in Birch Terrace Mobile Home Community on the outskirts of Menomonie. The park has a strict community guideline that must be signed in order to lease lot space in the park. I actually liked it feeling that it would mean fewer problem tenants and a more ideal community to live in. Once the lease was signed the problems began within a month of living here. The neighbors to either side of me are Hmong. Before I am accused of being a bigot I will inform you that I grew up as a child in Hawaii amongst a largely Asian population. I moved with my army family from Hawaii, taking with me many fond memories and a respect for the Asians in that community. I was not familiar with the Hmong but, despite horror stories locals told me after moving here, to be fair I researched the Hmong online. I found numerous articles written by authors in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Armed with what I thought was more reliable information I made friendly overtures to both neighbors. I naively thought that having made the first move I could settle in and become a part of this community. By the end of the first month however, I found that not to be the case at all. Noise levels at all hours of the day and night finally forced me to contact park management and ask them to enforce the community guideline agreement. They refused. The excuse I was given was, "you can't tell the Hmong no because they don't understand English." I found that to be a bold faced lie which was confirmed by several deputies who admitted that 98% of the Hmong in the park speak fluent English and of those that don't, someone in the home does. After several months here further problems developed. A neighbor across the street from me called and asked me to come over to their home to witness what they had been observing for several days. I did as they asked and went over. As soon as I was out of my home and in theirs, I watched as the Hmong children from one trailer ran up to mine and began beating on the door and the siding up and down the length of the home. Suddenly some things became all too clear. Over the past few days I had to leave for doctor appointments, grocery shopping and various other errands. When I returned home my normally orderly home was in complete disarray. Cushions on the sofas and chairs on the floor and items on my coffee table were askew. I went over to the Hmong trailer and knocked on the door. An older woman opened it and I began to explain to her what her children/grandchildren were doing and asked that they stop. She never said a word, gave me a cold stare, flipped me off and slammed the door in my face.

At that point I called Dunn County Sheriff. A deputy showed up and suggested we both go over to talk to the owner of the trailer with the children. I agreed. We went over and spoke to the father of the monsters, who had just arrived home. No apology was given or assurance that the harassment would stop. What shocked me the most was when Deputy "Fife" informed the man that because the children were underage neither they nor he as the responsible adult would be charged and no report would be filed. From there the harassment and abuse of my dogs escalated. In three years now it has gone from banging on my door and windows to full damage to my siding and paint which cost me over a thousand dollars to repair. The Sheriff's office refused to talk to the perpetrators, refused again to file a report and I ended up having to pay for the repairs out of my own pocket. Nor when called would they file charges, file a report or even talk to the people when the Hmong from the trailer on the other side of me began urinating and defecating on the lot.

It got so bad that when I would take my dogs out to go potty the children in the one trailer would stand at the windows screaming and banging on them, scaring my dogs so badly that they ended up becoming too nervous about going outside at all. I had to invest in incontinence pads for my dogs so that they could relieve themselves inside my home. At even further expense, just so my dogs could go outside at all, when I replaced the flimsy enclosed porch with a much sturdier one, I added an enclosed deck to the back.

As I mentioned earlier, this has been going on for three years. Last week, after weeks of being woken up to rap music blaring through my walls from the Hmong next door, I turned up my own music system to drown it out. For the first time ever I got a call from the manager of the park to say that she was getting complaints from the Hmong next to me saying my music was too loud. The music had already been turned off in my home when she called. Shortly after a Sheriff's deputy showed up at my door. I explained to him what was going on, he refused to listen, threatened me with citation if I did it again and refused, as usual, to speak to the Hmong about what they were doing.

I will be leaving Wisconsin as soon as is humanly possible. I rate abuse of animals, the disabled, the elderly and children right alongside necrophiliacs. Abuse is unacceptable for any reason. If it has escaped anyone's attention, what the first deputy did by declaring that no charges would be filed against either the children or the parent responsible was to give a blanket permission to continue. The neighbors who have been witness to most of what has been going on are as disgusted as I am and are looking to move to another county. Other friends I have made in this community, also witnessing some of this are fast losing respect for law enforcement, the Hmong, and Wisconsin. Not only is it this problem but raw sewage backing up in the park and being left for weeks with no action or even return calls from County Health and increasing problems with park management refusing to take action on ANYTHING that they are responsible for.

As an interesting side note to this, the 'friend' I mentioned earlier it turns out is a friend and classmate of the current Sheriff. And people thought corruption in law enforcement was rampant in Chicago and New Orleans.............Guess again. Between the park, the Hmong and the Sheriff's Office, the park is now primarily Hmong. Even the manager admitted that the whites and the few blacks who lived here were leaving in droves, most taking their mobile homes with them. The other mobile home parks aren't much better and property taxes in Menomonie are exorbitant. Most are moving east to Eau Claire in Eau Claire County or across the border into Minnesota.

If you are looking at Menomonie, it's a great place especially during Stout - UW Homecoming. It's become tradition for students to defecate and urinate on private property as part of their celebrations. Personally, I think the county name should be changed to DUNG, it's more fitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:09 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCal View Post
I have another county in Wisconsin to add to the avoid list. Dunn. I think people should know what goes on here and what I have had to put up with for the past three years.

I am disabled and after a bad family situation in the town I grew up in Colorado I decided to move here at the urging and recommendation of a 'friend'. I write it that way because she turned out to be no friend at all. After I moved here, she glommed onto my elderly ailing father and scammed him for several thousand dollars. However, that's not my main beef with Dunn County, just a sideline to a horrific living situation in the county.

I moved here with my three dogs who are my best friends and companions. All were rescues and got me through dying, then being brought back only to lose a limb and undergo heart surgery. When I moved here I purchased a mobile home in Birch Terrace Mobile Home Community on the outskirts of Menomonie. The park has a strict community guideline that must be signed in order to lease lot space in the park. I actually liked it feeling that it would mean fewer problem tenants and a more ideal community to live in. Once the lease was signed the problems began within a month of living here. The neighbors to either side of me are Hmong. Before I am accused of being a bigot I will inform you that I grew up as a child in Hawaii amongst a largely Asian population. I moved with my army family from Hawaii, taking with me many fond memories and a respect for the Asians in that community. I was not familiar with the Hmong but, despite horror stories locals told me after moving here, to be fair I researched the Hmong online. I found numerous articles written by authors in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Armed with what I thought was more reliable information I made friendly overtures to both neighbors. I naively thought that having made the first move I could settle in and become a part of this community. By the end of the first month however, I found that not to be the case at all. Noise levels at all hours of the day and night finally forced me to contact park management and ask them to enforce the community guideline agreement. They refused. The excuse I was given was, "you can't tell the Hmong no because they don't understand English." I found that to be a bold faced lie which was confirmed by several deputies who admitted that 98% of the Hmong in the park speak fluent English and of those that don't, someone in the home does. After several months here further problems developed. A neighbor across the street from me called and asked me to come over to their home to witness what they had been observing for several days. I did as they asked and went over. As soon as I was out of my home and in theirs, I watched as the Hmong children from one trailer ran up to mine and began beating on the door and the siding up and down the length of the home. Suddenly some things became all too clear. Over the past few days I had to leave for doctor appointments, grocery shopping and various other errands. When I returned home my normally orderly home was in complete disarray. Cushions on the sofas and chairs on the floor and items on my coffee table were askew. I went over to the Hmong trailer and knocked on the door. An older woman opened it and I began to explain to her what her children/grandchildren were doing and asked that they stop. She never said a word, gave me a cold stare, flipped me off and slammed the door in my face.

At that point I called Dunn County Sheriff. A deputy showed up and suggested we both go over to talk to the owner of the trailer with the children. I agreed. We went over and spoke to the father of the monsters, who had just arrived home. No apology was given or assurance that the harassment would stop. What shocked me the most was when Deputy "Fife" informed the man that because the children were underage neither they nor he as the responsible adult would be charged and no report would be filed. From there the harassment and abuse of my dogs escalated. In three years now it has gone from banging on my door and windows to full damage to my siding and paint which cost me over a thousand dollars to repair. The Sheriff's office refused to talk to the perpetrators, refused again to file a report and I ended up having to pay for the repairs out of my own pocket. Nor when called would they file charges, file a report or even talk to the people when the Hmong from the trailer on the other side of me began urinating and defecating on the lot.

It got so bad that when I would take my dogs out to go potty the children in the one trailer would stand at the windows screaming and banging on them, scaring my dogs so badly that they ended up becoming too nervous about going outside at all. I had to invest in incontinence pads for my dogs so that they could relieve themselves inside my home. At even further expense, just so my dogs could go outside at all, when I replaced the flimsy enclosed porch with a much sturdier one, I added an enclosed deck to the back.

As I mentioned earlier, this has been going on for three years. Last week, after weeks of being woken up to rap music blaring through my walls from the Hmong next door, I turned up my own music system to drown it out. For the first time ever I got a call from the manager of the park to say that she was getting complaints from the Hmong next to me saying my music was too loud. The music had already been turned off in my home when she called. Shortly after a Sheriff's deputy showed up at my door. I explained to him what was going on, he refused to listen, threatened me with citation if I did it again and refused, as usual, to speak to the Hmong about what they were doing.

I will be leaving Wisconsin as soon as is humanly possible. I rate abuse of animals, the disabled, the elderly and children right alongside necrophiliacs. Abuse is unacceptable for any reason. If it has escaped anyone's attention, what the first deputy did by declaring that no charges would be filed against either the children or the parent responsible was to give a blanket permission to continue. The neighbors who have been witness to most of what has been going on are as disgusted as I am and are looking to move to another county. Other friends I have made in this community, also witnessing some of this are fast losing respect for law enforcement, the Hmong, and Wisconsin. Not only is it this problem but raw sewage backing up in the park and being left for weeks with no action or even return calls from County Health and increasing problems with park management refusing to take action on ANYTHING that they are responsible for.

As an interesting side note to this, the 'friend' I mentioned earlier it turns out is a friend and classmate of the current Sheriff. And people thought corruption in law enforcement was rampant in Chicago and New Orleans.............Guess again. Between the park, the Hmong and the Sheriff's Office, the park is now primarily Hmong. Even the manager admitted that the whites and the few blacks who lived here were leaving in droves, most taking their mobile homes with them. The other mobile home parks aren't much better and property taxes in Menomonie are exorbitant. Most are moving east to Eau Claire in Eau Claire County or across the border into Minnesota.

If you are looking at Menomonie, it's a great place especially during Stout - UW Homecoming. It's become tradition for students to defecate and urinate on private property as part of their celebrations. Personally, I think the county name should be changed to DUNG, it's more fitting.
I actually read all of the above...wow...nothing I say can emotionally compinsate you for the emotional and physical stress caused by your situation...

I always say 'follow the money'...and someones getting a lot of money from someone or a group which silently says 'hush'...or money flow will stop...

Kind of like when the mob ran New York, and owned the cops, the judges, and those who issued permits...

When the money is flowing from whomever or whatever...people will serve, the sorce of that money...

You'll have to interpit and make sense of that on your own...

None the less, none of it justifies the irrational, rude, criminal behavior displayed by your neighbors in that park...

I'll do some investigating on my own on the Hmong community in Wisconsin...

Wasn't one of them involved in a hunting issue a few years ago?

Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Good night my friend...we will chat again soon...

Your story, your life, intrigues me...
I have a few more interesting things. I like to save them for future posts.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a few more interesting things. I like to save them for future posts.
Then share...I'm all ears...

We learn by listening and considering what others have to say...

Not by dismissing and condemning...

So if you have more to say, please do, I can learn from it, and or add experiences of my own...

Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Then share...I'm all ears...

We learn by listening and considering what others have to say...

Not by dismissing and condemning...

So if you have more to say, please do, I can learn from it, and or add experiences of my own...
Cool.

Right now, my own impression of Wisconsin comes from my father's experience of living there most of his life. I have never actually lived there, but I have been there a few times.
Growing up, I started to believe Wisconsin was a much better place to live than Georgia. He used to talk about how some of the negative aspects of southern culture and the way things worked in the South.
At this point, I hear what is on these forums, and then I hear what my father says. He says Georgia and Wisconsin aren't much better,only different. Personally, I'm kind of conflicted at this point. I really don't care to stay in Georgia much longer. However, hearing some stuff about Wisconsin, well, it is leaving me asking some questions. Culturally, I might fit in. I say "pop", not coke as is colloquially used in Georgia. I have a Midwestern accent, some people tell me I sound either Canadian, Minnesotan, or Californian. I love sauerkraut(grew up with it). I have been fishing before and liked it. I like cheese too much. I am wondering if I would be jobless if I moved to Wisconsin. There are posts mention the high unemployment rate of African-Americans in Milwaukee.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Cool.

Right now, my own impression of Wisconsin comes from my father's experience of living there most of his life. I have never actually lived there, but I have been there a few times.
Growing up, I started to believe Wisconsin was a much better place to live than Georgia. He used to talk about how some of the negative aspects of southern culture and the way things worked in the South.
At this point, I hear what is on these forums, and then I hear what my father says. He says Georgia and Wisconsin aren't much better,only different. Personally, I'm kind of conflicted at this point. I really don't care to stay in Georgia much longer. However, hearing some stuff about Wisconsin, well, it is leaving me asking some questions. Culturally, I might fit in. I say "pop", not coke as is colloquially used in Georgia. I have a Midwestern accent, some people tell me I sound either Canadian, Minnesotan, or Californian. I love sauerkraut(grew up with it). I have been fishing before and liked it. I like cheese too much. I am wondering if I would be jobless if I moved to Wisconsin. There are posts mention the high unemployment rate of African-Americans in Milwaukee.
It's hard to say where you would fit in better...all depends on your social circle...

Sometimes you can have 3 best friends, and not notice one hundred callious people around you...

Or you can be alone, socially isolated, and feel everyones against you, when their really not...

Moving up to Wisconsin alone, as any ethnic group, sounds like it can be very trying...

I've heard almost equal gripes from whites and blacks, who almost mirror the same sentiment...

I think it's easier when you grow up somewhere as a kid...cause then your able to crack the social code...

And kids are resiliant to a lot of stuff that ails adults....

But when you move into some place already as an adult...socially it can be very hard to make in roads, black or white...

Only when black, living in a majority white area, you tend to be more color conscious...

Cause your like 'Well, why else would they not like me??'...

But I've heard whites express the same thing, while living amongst other whites...

I've driven through Wisconsin many times, in the past...but only the main insterstates, and frequented interstate service store culture...

But I've never driven a county road there, 100 miles into the interior...like I have in Georgia...

Georgia is one of those places, you might not miss, until you leave...

Old 05-01-2011, 07:10 PM

DCal

I did some research into the 'Hmong' community in Wisconsin...

And I learned Wisconsin ranks 3rd in the nation of Hmong populated states...

They originally helped the U.S. battle the Communist during the Vietnamn war...

(they were recruited by the CIA to fight a secret war on Loas, and they fought bravely and hard)

When our Government decided to retreat from Vietnamn, many, at least 100,000, were resettled to America to avoid persicution from the Communist...

And yes, indeed it was a Hmong, who was involved in that hunting inncedent, where a Hmong hunter, felt he was being picked on by native hunters, and the Hmong went Rambo on them...

Hmong Life in the United States - Information by Jeff Lindsay

Welcome to the Hmong Chamber of Commerce | Business Commerce Connections

Also, the Hmong youth, have gone the route of many American youth in as far as gang membership and activity...

Again...this whole Hmong incident you had, is an interesting twist to Wisconsin culture that most had no clue existed.

How odd, that a people or culture from hot, humid, tropical SE Asia, would take so well to the frozen terrian of Wisconsin...they have adapted well there, maybe even better than some of the natives.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
DCal

I did some research into the 'Hmong' community in Wisconsin...

And I learned Wisconsin ranks 3rd in the nation of Hmong populated states...

They originally helped the U.S. battle the Communist during the Vietnamn war...

(they were recruited by the CIA to fight a secret war on Loas, and they fought bravely and hard)

When our Government decided to retreat from Vietnamn, many, at least 100,000, were resettled to America to avoid persicution from the Communist...

And yes, indeed it was a Hmong, who was involved in that hunting inncedent, where a Hmong hunter, felt he was being picked on by native hunters, and the Hmong went Rambo on them...

Hmong Life in the United States - Information by Jeff Lindsay

Welcome to the Hmong Chamber of Commerce | Business Commerce Connections

Also, the Hmong youth, have gone the route of many American youth in as far as gang membership and activity...

Again...this whole Hmong incident you had, is an interesting twist to Wisconsin culture that most had no clue existed.

How odd, that a people or culture from hot, humid, tropical SE Asia, would take so well to the frozen terrian of Wisconsin...they have adapted well there, maybe even better than some of the natives.
That is interesting. And it isn't just with Hmongs. Alot of Puerto Ricans live in New Jersey and New York. Alot of Somali refugees are living in Minnesota. Sudanese refugees are living in Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas.

And there is a flip side to this too. Alot of Russians who have immigrated to the USA are living in California and Florida(in addition to NYC). Alot of Romanian immigrants(specfically from 1990-now) have landed in California, Georgia, Texas, and Florida(Atlanta is a sister city of Romania's capital, Bucharest).

As it is, cold weather has not been the biggest deterrent. African-Americans from the South moved to cities like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Buffalo,etc.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 PM

146 posts, read 388,505 times
The most overt racism I have ever seen in my life happened in Cedarburg. I was walking down Washington Ave after the strawberry festival and most of the vendors had packed up. Of course, someone had to clean the streets after the festival. So a black man was going down the street with a broom and dust pan sweeping up garbage. I am on the other side of the street and a car drives by and the driver yells: Having fun n***** b****!!! He kept driving and evidently turned around because he came down the street a second time and yelled the same thing.

I really wish this wasn't a true story.

We were all shocked and I was really upset that the "good folks" of WI would act like that. My friend who is from VA and was walking with me said he had never seen anything like that, not even down south.

To be fair, 99% of the people in the state would never do such a thing, but there are always a few born and bred racists.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
That is interesting. And it isn't just with Hmongs. Alot of Puerto Ricans live in New Jersey and New York. Alot of Somali refugees are living in Minnesota. Sudanese refugees are living in Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas.

And there is a flip side to this too. Alot of Russians who have immigrated to the USA are living in California and Florida(in addition to NYC). Alot of Romanian immigrants(specfically from 1990-now) have landed in California, Georgia, Texas, and Florida(Atlanta is a sister city of Romania's capital, Bucharest).

As it is, cold weather has not been the biggest deterrent. African-Americans from the South moved to cities like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Buffalo,etc.
Not to get off subject...but obviously all these refugees must have sponsors...specifically the American Govnernment...

Cause how can $1.oo a day wage earners from Sudan, suddenly afford to fly across the ocean, to Nebraska...get an apartment...and a month later be the owner of a Gas station??

I mean one day someones walking across Somolia with a pot on their head going to the water well...the next week, their in America, living in 3 bedroom apartment and starting college...

I can't even afford to move 800 miles...(have ya priced a moving van lately)...yet Zihad, from Mongolia, can up root his whole family...(18)...fly across the ocean...some how get into housing, by-passing the usual credit and employment checks, and a week later has 2 cars and 3 convient stores...

Somethings odd there....

States must recieve tax credits or incentives to take in refugees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin