Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:09 PM

27 posts, read 88,943 times

Advertisements

hey all,

thanks for all your valuable information. at my level of degrees...i am actually overqualified for many of the positions that are out there....i've only been able to land academic positions in the low's 30's for having 20 years higher ed experience.... so, can an academician make it on the low 30's? i have a dog, about $600/mo in debt...and no family. i am not a student...but at an executive management level in higher ed...

in this case, my degrees are what are killing me. hopefully UW-Stout will come through when I interview for this position on 8/29. i've been unemployed for over a year and a half...

Can I make it on that up there?????

Thanks for any help that you can give,
MGRAYCE14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:38 PM

32 posts, read 109,805 times
Menomonie is a nice town, not sure of the cost of living, I imagine it is about like Point, where I live.

If that job doesnt work out, try for a state job. There are tests held every month, and some positions dont require exams.

Good luck with the job interview.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:33 AM

27 posts, read 88,943 times
Default Thanks!!!

Greetings Escape Wisconsin,

Thank you for your words of encouragement...that helps alot...and the tip about the state job. I'll check there and see what's going on... Hopefully they'll take an ole' stodgy academic like myself >wink<

Be well,
MGrayce

Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM

270 posts, read 522,607 times
My husband has been told he is overqualified for many of the positions he has applied for in Wisconsin.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,980 times
We have done extensive research on the internet looking at jobs, company postings, etc. and based on our family and friend's experiences, we'll be qualified for all of the jobs and there are jobs in our field. I dont see how we would be overqualified unless we had 20 some years experience.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 AM

15 posts, read 36,887 times
I was told at my first job interview upon moving to central WI that I would have a difficult time finding a job because I was not from here. I was shocked, but it was true. I've got a job, but finding a decent job in my field has been all but impossible, with my education and experience and impecable references to boot. I'm relocating soon.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,924 times
Smile If you live in the northwoods

wither get your bartending license or learn to use a chain saw or a skidder. bartenders and loggers seem to be pretty reliable jobs up here. the industries are precarious as of late with building supplies and motorcycles tanking. as a lot of the mills seem to be in trouble as far as buyouts and consolidations are concerned

Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,362 times
I work in NE Wisconsin and we are desperately looking for qualified welders. Our company is a union contractor and a journeyman welder with experience working 5-10's (standard work week as of late) will make well over $100k and we can't find enough of them.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:05 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,980 times
My brother in law is from Virginia and married a WI girl he met in the army. He moved up there and had no problem finding a job and now works a great job. So I know that everyone has different experiences but he did not know anyone or anything about Wi and had no problem.

Now here in VA, I work for a very large government contractor. I applied several times and was not ever called back. HOWEVER, when I got married and mentioned my husband and my fathter in law's name, then I got a call, an interview, and an offer all within a week! So its not only WI (that some claim) that you have to know someone or be from there. My company here has over 19,000 people right now and they still go by a name and where you're from status.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:50 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopster View Post
My husband is a highly qualified Trilingual Sourcing Analyst and he commutes to Chicago daily because he has not seen openings for that field in this area.
Sheeesh . . . probably because nobody even knows what the heck a "trilingual sourcing analyst" is! Sounds vaguely naughty though

Seriously, though, to respond to the OP, don't expect much improvement beyond your parent's situation without your college degree completed. That ought to be your main priority at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin