Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:28 PM

673 posts, read 3,146,213 times

Advertisements

My mom and step dad live in Manitowoc. My mom was laid off for several months and struggled to find a job. She tried for months and had a few factory jobs but she wasnt able to keep up like she could in the past, and she had been out of that field for several years. She just recently found a job in retial after collecting unemployment for almost an entire year.

Now last week my step dad was laid off! He was at his job for 27 years!! Neither have an education beyond high school and I know the economy hasnt always been good to them.

My husband and I are looking to relocate to WI. We live in Virginia now and we both hate it. The cost of living is outrageous, but the jobs are numerous. They pay ok, but we dont have our college degrees yet so we arent making what we need to be to get ahead. After we graduate in a couple years, we plan to move back to WI because we both like it so much better than here and my family is up there, as well as a brother of his.

My biggest concern is, will we be able to find jobs, and if so, what are the chances of us being laid off? I guess my impression is that those who dont have college degrees have a harder time up there with finding and keeping jobs. Is that true or am I missing the real problem? Both my husband and I will have degrees in IT and we're looking at the Fox Cities region.

What is your take on the job situation up there? I myself was laid off about 8 years ago when I lived there and I know several who have been. I just dont want it to happen to us again. I keep thinking that if we have our bachelors and master's degree (I'll have a B.S. and my husband will have his Masters) that we'll be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
If you've got degrees and some experience in the IT field, you won't lack for job offers, I can assure you. Depending on your speciality - programming, networking, security or whatever - you could wind up in the enviable position of having to decide among several competing offers when the time comes.

However, don't expect to be able to job-hunt from Virginia; you'll have to actually take the gamble and move here, or most places won't bother to interview you. They'd rather get someone local than take on possible relocation costs plus the wait for you to get up here and settled.

Madison has probably the hottest job market in the state at this point, at least for IT and related jobs. There are several companies in that field in this area that have been doing extremely well of late, and they're regularly adding to their workforce. Of course, by the time you're ready to make a move in two years' time, the hot spot could be in another part of the state, but I just don't see Wisconsin going into a Michigan-style economic meltdown between now and then. The job market may get a little softer, but we're not a one-industry state, so it's a lot less risky.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 AM

270 posts, read 522,633 times
Unless one have connections or a last name that sounds familiar, professionals may have trouble find a good job. My husband is a highly qualified Trilingual Sourcing Analyst and he commutes to Chicago daily because he has not seen openings for that field in this area.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 PM

537 posts, read 1,940,094 times
We have lived in central WI for 20 years. I am a preschool teacher and my husband works in the produce industry (fruits and vegetables). We love our jobs. My husband doesn't have a college degree but he didn't have a hard time finding a job in management. I got my BA, 3 years ago.
It depends on what your degrees are in but in our area (Wausau) there are people coming here from all over and landing good jobs.
I work 3 miles from my house. When we lived in Chicago I drove 8 miles but it could take up to an hour or more depending on traffic.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:48 AM

115 posts, read 796,014 times
Madison is a super hot market for IT at the moment and there are plenty of companies in Milwaukee hiring programmers and other IT workers at decent salary. I have looked for jobs twice in the last three years in the Milwaukee area and both times I had multiple job offers. The Fox Cities might be a little more difficult. The larger companies up there have experienced some layoffs. The upside is the cost of living in the fox valley is lower than in Madison or Milwaukee.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:40 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
With a B.S. and / or a Master's, you won't have a problem with jobs...Fox Valley or wherever here. You'd be fine with that edu.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses! I appreciate the honest answers. When we move we'll probably quit our jobs here and move first, like suggested. My mom and brother live in Manitowoc and if we have to we can stay with them (my mom's already offered) or we'll get an apartment hopefully temporarily. We'll be able to sell our house here in VA for alot more than we owe, the housing market has increased here so much that even if prices go down, we'll still be doing ok.

We may look in other areas other than the Fox Cities, but that will be our first place to look. Madison is a really nice area and the burbs of Milwaukee seem nice (I've been gone 7 years so I know things can change).

Thanks again to everyone who replied! Any other comments/suggestions are welcomed!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 AM

32 posts, read 109,814 times
It would be silly to worry about not having connections or a name that sounds familiar. There are jobs to be had just as the above comments state, you will have no problem landing jobs here in Wisconsin. Your education and experience will speak for itself.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:37 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Wisconsin View Post
It would be silly to worry about not having connections or a name that sounds familiar. There are jobs to be had just as the above comments state, you will have no problem landing jobs here in Wisconsin. Your education and experience will speak for itself.
I completely second this!

Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I completely second this!
Yes I agree with that too. I know that is not the case since my brother in law moved up there and I can guarantee he is the ONLY one with the last name he has...and he got jobs just fine. In some cases that is the case but I have never heard of it happening there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin