Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 88,257 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree that Eau Claire is pretty tolerant and open minded and a good place to raise a family. Great schools, and the minority population keeps getting bigger with alot of people moving from minneapolis and chicago. And being white myself and dating someone black, my family doesnt care. as far as cultural opportunities and things to do Eau Claire is a little over an hour to the Minneapolis area. If you are a professional and looking for something for work i would recommend Hudson or River Fals.. Hudson being on the border,River Falls beign a college town maybe 10 miles or so from Hudson both are part of the Twin Cities metro and short commute times maybe 20 minutes or so to dwtn St. Paul and 30-35 to dwtn Mpls, And whatever you could want is right at your finger tips without dealing with the rat race of the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,858 times
Default Racially-diverse places to live

I live in Milwaukee and I'm not sure I agree with the reports that it's a "segregated" city. Sure there are areas that tend to have more whites and some areas with more African Americans and some with more Hispanics but there are some neighborhoods that are very mixed. In our Milwaukee neighborhood which borders Wauwatosa we have a mix. I would check out Wauwatosa if it wasn't mentioned before (I couldn't read all of the previous posts) Endris Park (Milwaukee), Shorewood, Riverwest, and Bay View.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM

37 posts, read 128,429 times
Default Appleton :-)

Hello,

I'm a single mom of two bi-racial boys - we live in Appleton and I love it! Most of there friends are either mixed race or Asian. We live on the North side of town; but honestly - I don't see problems with any area of Appleton. I would stay away from Clintonville, Hortonville, and smaller towns like New London (where I was born and raised) and Weyauwega and Waupaca - I used to go through those towns to see my uncle and people would stare at the boys horribly; I was asked several times 'where did you get them' - people thought I adoped them and when I told them they were mind they were horrified! Good Luck to you - Madison is a great city too - so much to do!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 AM

37 posts, read 128,429 times
Default sorry, i disagree

hi,

i live in appleton with my two bi racial children and i honestly disagree with your statement. as i go through my children's yearbooks there are more asian, mexican and bi racial children than one white ones. in my sons fourth grade class they just got four new students, two from mexico and two from russia. our neighborhood is very diverse, there is only one white child in our neighborhood and we live near a park and several schools. there is racial issues and tensions in certain parts of cities and states no matter where you go, but living in appleton we haven't encountered any of it! i used to nanny for a very wealthy family in neenah and they had several friends of different races and they and their children were accepted in public schools. just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinIght View Post
Stay away from NE Wisconsin. Although it is very nice, most of the towns (Appleton, Neenah, Hortonville, etc.) are almost ALL white. My husband and I are both white, and we have 3 kids. We reside in Kimberly (which is about 5 min away from Appleton) and I was looking through my daughter's yearbook, and I can honestly say there was no African-American children going to her 800 kid elementary school. While the Fox Valley suits us perfectly, I would advise you stay away.
Good Luck!!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,170 times
Exclamation Highs and Lows of Hartland Relo

My husband and I are African Americans in our 50's, professionals with high 50-60's income, and DINKS for the past 10 years or so. I am desperate for a more fulfilling career and found a company in Hartland, WI that seems to be an excellent match for my current and future aspirations. I am pursuing a BA degree online to prevent disruption of my studies. However, my husband and I live in Illinois, so we will need to relocate to Hartland. We have traveled to Wisconsin several times over the years and always loved the scenery. I have researched Hartland and surrounding areas as well and found nothing particularly disturbing. However, I am no stranger to racial tension and associated fallout. I have learned to be more tolerant to keep the peace but will eventually spit fire. I also realize that residents may be more tolerant of racial intermixes that contribute to tourism with zero to low tolerance of interculteral residents. My husband and I just don't need that kind of environment.

Your comments are extremely helpful so I would welcome feedback regarding the success of our move, cost of rentals and homes, getting around, taxes, moving companies, colleges, and virtually anything else you care to share.

Last edited by sandee5371; 03-04-2008 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: grammer errors

Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 PM

5 posts, read 15,146 times
Default What I think

I have to comment on Quickdraw's comments about blacks destroying a city. I have lived in Milwaukee, and other places in the U.S. and there are some real hicks of all colors, and races out there. I hate that you would put a negative classification on a certain race of people, because there is good and bad in every race.
If you really want to understand why this is happening, then you need to study your history; when a certain committee (I wil not name the organization) was given the power to wipe out half of the human race by 2050, and use whatever tactics at their disposal! This mental collapse is not just with the black people but all people who do not have the financial power to fight for their selves.
This certain committee has exterminated races through drugs, slavery, murder, prisons, and the destruction of well paying jobs for the middle class, and brainwashing through the media to divert the blame on race, societies, the poor and the middle class.
When the real blame belongs on this, and these committees who have controlled the government, and our presidents for over sixty years or so. You are putting the blame on people who want to do the same thing you want or is doing; Put food on the table for their families, live peaceably with everyone, and raise their kids for a new generation of people who would carry their race with pride and honor, but that is not the case.
This corruption started a long time ago even before Moses. So the real culprit is not the races. If you think that the blacks are such a bad people, then they should be running the government, and they should have financial power.
And they should be telling you where to go, and what to do, and making you believe that certain races are no good because they would have the power of the television, and radio to make you believe whatever they want you to believe through sublimenal messages.
It is time to wake up, and stop putting the blame on people who are trying to make it in a damned society. It is time to put the blame where it really belongs. If you really want to find out what is going on look for the date of May 23, 1913 and maybe you will get a wake up call too.
The real reason these cities are being destroyed because the minorities had and are having their will, their courage stripped from them, they want to make it but see no way out. What would you do if you were in a steel box and you could not see a way out after trying and trying to get out.
Being shown what they call legitimate ways to get out of the box, but every plan that was given to you failed. What would you do? You would lose faith, and would break under stress, your spirit would be broken, and tear whatever is in your way, even destroy yourself. Of course you probably do not have that problem writing the things you wrote about black people I guess, take care Quickdraw, and wake up before it is too late.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 AM

21 posts, read 68,260 times
One of the most tolerant mid-size WI cities has got to be Wausau. With a 12% Asian population, it's got the most racial mixing, and it's a fairly progressive town because of it. With about 40,000 people, it's not overwhelming, but there is plenty to do. The local culture is a blend of various ones, such as Norwegian, Hmong, and Latin American. Check it out if you can.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 AM

10 posts, read 49,385 times
I live in Madison, it is a wonderful place. It reminds me of SF in its culture, art and basic enthusiasm for life. Racially it is very diverse, there are folks and ideas from all over the world.
It is growing quite a bit.
Middleton outside of Madison is very nice as well. Both Madison and Middleton have been ranked great places to live.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:45 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhandmike View Post
I have to comment on Quickdraw's comments about blacks destroying a city. I have lived in Milwaukee, and other places in the U.S. and there are some real hicks of all colors, and races out there. I hate that you would put a negative classification on a certain race of people, because there is good and bad in every race.
If you really want to understand why this is happening, then you need to study your history; when a certain committee (I wil not name the organization) was given the power to wipe out half of the human race by 2050, and use whatever tactics at their disposal! This mental collapse is not just with the black people but all people who do not have the financial power to fight for their selves.
This certain committee has exterminated races through drugs, slavery, murder, prisons, and the destruction of well paying jobs for the middle class, and brainwashing through the media to divert the blame on race, societies, the poor and the middle class.
When the real blame belongs on this, and these committees who have controlled the government, and our presidents for over sixty years or so. You are putting the blame on people who want to do the same thing you want or is doing; Put food on the table for their families, live peaceably with everyone, and raise their kids for a new generation of people who would carry their race with pride and honor, but that is not the case.
This corruption started a long time ago even before Moses. So the real culprit is not the races. If you think that the blacks are such a bad people, then they should be running the government, and they should have financial power.
And they should be telling you where to go, and what to do, and making you believe that certain races are no good because they would have the power of the television, and radio to make you believe whatever they want you to believe through sublimenal messages.
It is time to wake up, and stop putting the blame on people who are trying to make it in a damned society. It is time to put the blame where it really belongs. If you really want to find out what is going on look for the date of May 23, 1913 and maybe you will get a wake up call too.
The real reason these cities are being destroyed because the minorities had and are having their will, their courage stripped from them, they want to make it but see no way out. What would you do if you were in a steel box and you could not see a way out after trying and trying to get out.
Being shown what they call legitimate ways to get out of the box, but every plan that was given to you failed. What would you do? You would lose faith, and would break under stress, your spirit would be broken, and tear whatever is in your way, even destroy yourself. Of course you probably do not have that problem writing the things you wrote about black people I guess, take care Quickdraw, and wake up before it is too late.

Did the voices in your computer tell you to write this?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 AM

36 posts, read 177,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Ok then, so what are we supposed to do to fix the problem, tell people where they can or can't move? Do you think the problem is in minorities moving to these areas, or the racists who live there? It isn't a simple fix, but I also believe that the media blows racism up to more a problem then it is. In my experience, Wisconsinites are very friendly generally love meeting new people, hopefully this includes people of a different race.
Alright, fine. Minorities or bi-racial parents....don't ask for advice on these forums anymore. Don't listen to anyone here. Move where you want, despite the warnings of areas that have bigots/racists/white folks who don't want you to move to their neighborhood. Feel free to move wherever you want and when your children are tormented, crosses are burned on your front step, and you find out gee, maybe I can't change the entire white population of a town, too bad I bought that house and put my family through this.......you can come back here and re-read the post above that I quoted about how it's not just a simple fix to move wherever you want and force diversity on ppl who simply will make your life miserable.

Go where you're wanted or live your life miserable trying to change the attitudes of other people. In reality, people don't suddenly wake up and thank you for being a martyr marching to the drum of diversity in the face of overwhelming odds. That's the movies. This is real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin