Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
people drink to much and bum around to much. The schools are not nearly as good as is talked about and is used as a cruch to make people feel things are ok with the young ones. Property taxes are high, the weather is bad, and the economy is in a recession. other than that its ok
May I suggest some EXLAX? I thing youre "full" and therefore grouchy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
A great state that no matter what the weather throws in its direction, its hardy Wisconsinites can always find some sport or outdoor activity to enjoy! It's fun all year round if you want it to be

Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
I think it is hard to describe a whole state as if it were a small town. Different regions of the state vary greatly in many areas. The following is all my opinion or impressions. First, I grew up here and will admit that I'm thinking of leaving because of the weather, so I've sort of detatched a little and may even be a little negative about the state of things here, but I think my perspective is fairly balanced.

Wisconsin schools are, on average, some of the best in the country, but that's not to say there aren't bad schools here. I can think of two school districts off the top of my head that I would never recommend.

The economy is great in some areas, not so great in others, it's a big state. My understanding is that northern WI, north of Wausau and Eau Claire (Hayward, Manitowish Waters, Spooner, Minong), have always been economically depressed. There's just not a lot up there to support an economy. Pretty much just tourism.

The North also tends to be more closed socially, people stick to their own and it is hard for new people to find a niche. The southeast tends to be more friendly, but even in this restricted area you see differences. Both Milwaukee and Madison folks are friendly and outgoing, but go down to Janesville and you can feel the frost at the city limits.

Both Madison and Milwaukee have cultural and social opportunities you won't find any place else in the state. Appleton and GreenBay have some and Kohler has some funded by the Kohler family, but nothing like Madison and Milwaukee. It's a very agrigarian, blue collar state. Lots of farms, "plants" and "mills."

One thing I've always noticed and wondered about. You'd think the western side of the state didn't even exist because no one talks about it. Why is that? The fact that part of the Johnney Depp movie was shot in Darlington doesn't seem to have changed that which I find kind of odd. I'd love to know more about that area as my father's family is from there. His father was estranged from his family, but my Dad did go over there a couple of times as a boy and his cousin's still spoke Irish (Gaellic).

The weather here is extreme. Some people take pride in the fact that they are tough and they can "take it." I say, why? Why must life be an endurance test?

I just wanted to add that the middle of the state tends to be a tough place to move as well. I lived in Eau Claire for two and a half years and it was a very lonely period. People don't even chat in the grocery store line there unless they are related by blood.

Last edited by Megan1967; 04-28-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
I've lived in WI my whole life (all of 30 years, last 7 or so in Appleton) and there's alot of good to say (and has been said above). Generally good schools, most of the cities are clear of riff-raff (was it 6 of the top 10 Morgan Quinton safest cities last year were in WI?), and there's plenty to do if you look for it.

But I'm going to rant a bit and be the devils' advocate, since I just got back from Las Vegas where it is warm. I absolutely, straight, LOATHE the winters here. It's ok for the first couple of weeks... but winter is a 7 month season and every year is a little harder to cope with. It stays at 0F or slightly above for a very long time. Then it gets a smidge warmer, dumps a crapload of snow on your driveway, and you get to shovel it off on a 5F, really windy night. . Then you drive your car to work in insane amounts of road salt and dodge friggin idiots who, I swear to God, drive in winter for the very first time every single year. There's always an accident on hwy 41 or 441 or both any time the weather is less than clear. It's not that hard!!! Just slow down! Oh, and it'd be nice if you'd all pay attention to the road too. I've driven to at least half the states in the lower 48. Wisconsin has some of the most blatanly inattentive drivers I've ever seen. Especially when I drive to Chicago I am reminded of how bad people here are. I would donate money, body parts, my first born, to get a law passed to nail the left-lane riders.

Also I must say there's alot of hicks 'round these parts. Everyone loves pickem up trucks and hunting. Not that I can't get along with most everyone, and I do, but for pete's sake can't a guy go to a half-way nice restaraunt and not be surrounded by people in Walmart jeans and their friggin gym trainers?!?!? You're hard pressed to go anywhere and find someone in shoes you can actually polish. There is a serious adversion to the slightest bit of vanity or class, and slightly related there's a terrible amount of fast food and other chain restaraunts so there's alot of fat people too. I'll be going to Appleton's performing arts center for a show next week, and if I'm the only one in a black suit I will be very disheartened.

Economy, if you just want a "job", there's plenty of those. I've got a cubicle. But if you want something prestigious, fancy, something that might fulfill you with a sense of doing something more, I haven't found it here. Maybe that's ok, but if you have dreams beyond a 9-5, well everything is pretty small time.

Back to winter, I get terrible cabin fever and every February I start seriously thinking about moving. The problem is that I haven't found a warm place that mirrors the good amenities of my home. Recently I read up on Sarasota, FL (turns out theres lots of crime), Naples, FL (gang problems in old foagie Napels, really??), Henderson, NV (I hear it's a dump), Flagstaf, AZ (whoops, it's cold there and there's an illegal immigrant problem), Raleigh, NC (everyone moved there so developers turned it into a sprawling mess)... Back to Wisconsin. It's a great safe place to raise my kids. Excluding the freeway. So I don't know what else to say. Unless Utopia pops up, I'm staying here by default.

Last edited by yo vanilla; 04-28-2008 at 10:22 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 10:22 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
yo vanilla, I have to say that is one of the best posts I've ever read. We think alike in many aspects. Especially the moving part. Wisconsin isn't all that bad, just the winters get to dang long....But that does make you enjoy summer that much more.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
The winters can be a tad bit cold up in the northwoods. I believe Eagle River had a LOW of -25F in MARCH this year. It is just amazing how cold it gets there so late in the winter and into early spring.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Yo Vanilla,

Have you checked out Austin, TX? Just curious what your thoughts are.

I loved your post btw. I completely agree with everything you posted and hope you are not the only one in a black suit next week.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,884 times
I love winter. I can take the cold better then the heat. So it doesn't bother me.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I like the cold too but I am not sure I could handle sub -20F weather by the time March comes around

Old 04-30-2008, 04:56 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Wow, thanks for the comments. I thought for sure my rant would get some negative feedback (not that I was looking for that).

Nope, Austin isn't on my list of potentials. I'll give it a peek though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin