Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Doyle's not a great governor but he got in and stayed in because of the lack of competence of his immediate predecessor and the alternatives. The bulk of the state's economic decline has happened while Republicans held the legislature, and the decline began with a Republican governor. There is shared responsibility here.
You cannot be serious? I really don't have the time to list all the reason's why doyle is the reason b/c the list is too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
1. Winter
2. Winter
3. Winter
4. Inconsisten weather (yesterday's high was 46 degrees....IN JUNE!!)
5. Winter
6. Winter
7. Winter
8. Winter
9. Winter
10. Winter

On a positive note, all the trash that was all over the city that I was so shocked by in early April was cleaned up. I was pleasantly surprised to see that city workers came out and picked up everything. It looks great!

Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
the inability to protect myself with CCW, and the cops nowhere around when something does happen.

plus the high property tax is bad too.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Default Bad...and good

This area is so polarizing to me. There is so much about it that I really just do not like at all, and some others have hit it really well. However, there are some attributes about here that I really, really like and enjoy quite a bit too.

First, for the bad:

1. The LENGTH of the cold / cool / chilly weather
>I could live more with winter's cold harshness if it were a consistent 3 months...truly, I don't especially mind a few months of "classic winter" terribly; if it would end relatively quickly. However, cold / cool / chilly doesn't last here DEC - FEB. It runs mid-November through early-May, and periods of late-May and October certainly can qualify as well). THAT is what is so downright depressing, not so much the actual couple of months of winter themselves.

1a. Related weather issues:
> -Very short days in late fall / winter
-Very gray / cloudy in late fall / winter
-Precipitation: A high amount of rain and snow
-Driving in winter "weather"
-Yes, the extreme cold in the winter gets old

2. Taxes
>I know we've reached a point where people somehow don't mind paying high taxes - [although I have found many / most of those on the CD Forums that don't mind this also don't own homes] - but taxes *really are* a terrible, woeful aspect of living here. Sure, there are other areas of the nation where taxes are worse [although not TOO many others], but I wouldn't want to live in those areas either, and at least in a California, you have pleasant weather / landscape to comfort yourself with after paying through the wazoo.

3. Non-transient population
>Part of this isn't so horrible, as it leads to a lot of traditions and traditional values, etc., where if you befriend folks here, they'll be your good friends for life, however, as I have grown older, this has more and more bothered me. It leads to a very odd inferiority complex/arrogance type of thing that just is annoying.

4. The wind
>Josh really nailed this one. People don't realize it, but Milwaukee is the 5th windiest city in the US in terms of annual average wind speed. It gets really old. There are so many days in April, May, etc., where the temps aren't *that bad* - say, low-60s...however, you have that darn ever present 15 or 20 mph wind blowing through that really takes away. And it seems like in March, April, May, etc., it is almost impossible to have a really nice, warm day without an accompanying 20 or 25 mph wind. Also, in the heart of the winter, that darn wind whipping around really does make the cold feel much tougher.

5. Union culture and mentality
>Not looking for a political debate or disagreement here. It just is my strong opinion, and the union culture / mentality is big here.

6. High winter utility bills

7. The lack of "green" / foliage from late-October until mid-May...it is just brown and barren for far, far too long in the calendar year

8. The accent (and this is really nitpicky I know...and the thing is, I have somewhat of it in my vernacular as well)

9. Not a fan of the "deer hunting culture" or the "Up North culture"...nothing wrong with them in the least nor am I *against* them, I just am not a fan.

10. Mosquitoes and abundance of other summer bugs
>Mosquitoes can just so ruin summers here; and summers / warm periods are so brief and valuable, this can be extremely disheartening. Some years are better than others, but do I DESPISE mosquitoes here.

11. Lake Michigan's cold water

12. Not trying to offend anyone in the least, but just my tastes alone, I just am not a big fan of almost anywhere / any town in WI that isn't the Milwaukee metro area; just not an "Up North" kind of guy

Here are things I really enjoy about the MILWAUKEE area of Wisconsin:

1. Summer (when it really does arrive; summers here are quite pleasant)
2. September / early October (the best time of the year here, especially September)
3. Fall foliage colors
4. Many gorgeous lakes and rivers
5. Nice parks / golf courses / green spaces (for the 5 or 6 months of actual green!)
6. Love Milwaukee's architecture
7. Love Milwaukee's airport - perfect size
8. Love proximity to Chicago, especially for travel options
9. Conventional winter is actually nice from Thanksgiving until NY Day
10. Cost of living isn't terrible, taxes aside
11. Traffic is reasonable
12. Good restaurant / food options for a city of its size
13. Good bars
14. Miller Park is a world-class gem of an MLB stadium; tailgating tradition is fantastic
15. Do enjoy all of the sports options
16. Close proximity to South Bend, IN - University of Notre Dame
17. Green, lush foliage is beautiful from mid-May until early-October
18. Lake Michigan's gorgeous lakefront
19. Milwaukee's Downtown - I love it
20. Milwaukee's "Big I" interchange

All in all, I think my list has a real balance to it. Even though the "good" in numbers outweighs the bad, the bad's "significance" outweighs some of the good.

This area is polarizing to me. Some elements I really love, and some I really abhor.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:52 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
That's one great post, EnjoyEP! I think you summed everything up pretty well. I don't do the hunting thing either. I keep to myself in the fall because my family and friends go nuts about it. I do love getting away to the Northwoods even if I can't get out on the lake to fish. Their is something in the air up there I think it kicks in past highway 10, lol. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan truly is gods country if you ask me.

The high price to register a vehicle here. I can't remember if someone mentioned that or not? Why do we have front plates?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
just not an "Up North" kind of guy

Ya can't beat Oneida and Vilas counties for fall foliage. It is some of the best in the country. I don't particularly care for the "bar on every corner culture," though. Winter is spectacular with all of the snowmobiling and ice fishing. I know some friends in the area and I go up when I get the chance sometimes. The air DOES feel different up there with all the lakes and woods. It is also a touch higher in elevation than many realize (about 1700ft).

I learned the art of layering over the years that I have traveled through the Upper Midwest

Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 PM

I agree with EnjoyEP about the length of the winters here. I think that the extreme cold and snow is tolerable...for a few months. But winter that lasts virtually half the year is a bit much. After awhile the "nothingness" of having no flowers, no leaves on the tress and bushes, and brown lawns (mostly covered in snow) gets a bit depressing.

But there are a lot of good things about Wisconsin to counteract the winters. As somebody who isn't going to be leaving Wisconsin anytime soon, I try to expound on the positives a bit more than I did when I first moved here.

My mother just left for San Diego after visiting me here for two weeks. She was depressed having to go back to that "brown concrete hell" as she calls San Diego. LOL! It really is a matter of subjective opinion, and it seems the grass is always greener somewhere else!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:38 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I agree with EnjoyEP about the length of the winters here. I think that the extreme cold and snow is tolerable...for a few months. But winter that lasts virtually half the year is a bit much. After awhile the "nothingness" of having no flowers, no leaves on the tress and bushes, and brown lawns (mostly covered in snow) gets a bit depressing.

But there are a lot of good things about Wisconsin to counteract the winters. As somebody who isn't going to be leaving Wisconsin anytime soon, I try to expound on the positives a bit more than I did when I first moved here.

My mother just left for San Diego after visiting me here for two weeks. She was depressed having to go back to that "brown concrete hell" as she calls San Diego. LOL! It really is a matter of subjective opinion, and it seems the grass is always greener somewhere else!
Something that always helped me was planting lots of coniferous trees closer to the house. All of that extra greenery acts as a buffer for the longer winters and bare trees. My favorites are white pine, balsam fir, white spruce, red pine, and eastern hemlock.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Something that always helped me was planting lots of coniferous trees closer to the house. All of that extra greenery acts as a buffer for the longer winters and bare trees. My favorites are white pine, balsam fir, white spruce, red pine, and eastern hemlock.
Oh, I'm sure that would help. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to read up on planting evergreens.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 PM

67 posts, read 107,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Wisconsin Budget -6.6 billion

North Dakota Budget + 700million

This say's it all, thanks Jim Doyle!
HAHA, that's why Wisconsin is one of the least progressive states in the country! We got a governor who does nothing for anyone!! We need some businesses here and more jobs, then we could guess what? Afford a bigger budget and guess what else, have more GOING ON in this state. It's people like you that stay small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin