Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
(VERY conservative)
I like how conservative is always listed as a bad thing when talking about a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 10:17 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I like how conservative is always listed as a bad thing when talking about a place.
Are you really surprised? After all, this is Wisconsin, one of the more liberal/progressive states there are.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Are you really surprised? After all, this is Wisconsin, one of the more liberal/progressive states there are.
Or so it would seem from your East Side enclave. But get out into the sticks and even many of the suburban areas and you'll soon recognize that the state is pretty evenly divided. You think Mark Belling just sits and talks to himself all day? Obviously he doesn't -- he has an audience out there, and not an insubstantial one.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Or so it would seem from your East Side enclave. But get out into the sticks and even many of the suburban areas and you'll soon recognize that the state is pretty evenly divided. You think Mark Belling just sits and talks to himself all day? Obviously he doesn't -- he has an audience out there, and not an insubstantial one.
Ironically, the most conservative counties in Wisconsin are all in suburban Milwaukee. The rest of the state, excluding a handful of Northern counties, all trended Democratic in the last election.

President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Old 12-20-2009, 09:53 AM

People like Mark Belling and Charlie Sykes don't represent the average Milwaukeean any more than Rush Limbaugh represents the average New Yorker.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,088 times
Many of the Democrats in Wisconsin are farmers, union members or blue collar workers, not exactly San Francisco types of progressives. If anything it is the distrust of Republicans more than a progressive agenda that drives them to vote for Democrats. The Democrats edge is so slight in Wisconsin it wouldn't take much for a Republican win in the Senate, Governor or President.
Wisconsin is clearly a swing state and with good reason.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Many of the Democrats in Wisconsin are farmers, union members or blue collar workers, not exactly San Francisco types of progressives. If anything it is the distrust of Republicans more than a progressive agenda that drives them to vote for Democrats. The Democrats edge is so slight in Wisconsin it wouldn't take much for a Republican win in the Senate, Governor or President.
Wisconsin is clearly a swing state and with good reason.
Wisconsin hasn't voted for a Republican in a presidential election in 25 years. During that election (1984) every state besides Minnesota and DC voted for Reagan.

Herb Kohl's Senate seat has been in Democratic control since 1957, while Russ Feingold's seat has flipped numerous times throughout the years, but he's been in there since 1993.

As far as governor's go, I don't think we'll ever see another Republican in the capitol again. As old people die off and minorities continue to move in, Wisconsin will only become more Democratic in the future. I have a feeling either Tom Barrett or a third party candidate will end up as governor next year.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:53 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,088 times
Quote:
Wisconsin hasn't voted for a Republican in a presidential election in 25 years. During that election (1984) every state besides Minnesota and DC voted for Reagan.

Herb Kohl's Senate seat has been in Democratic control since 1957, while Russ Feingold's seat has flipped numerous times throughout the years, but he's been in there since 1993.

As far as governor's go, I don't think we'll ever see another Republican in the capitol again. As old people die off and minorities continue to move in, Wisconsin will only become more Democratic in the future. I have a feeling either Tom Barrett or a third party candidate will end up as governor next year.
I don't disagree with anything here except for the final paragraph. Democrats have a slight edge and it can turn if things are going poorly. 1/3 of the voting population will vote either way and can turn an election quickly. The presidential elections of 2000 and 2004 point this out. Very close within a few percents. I realize that the Gore and Kerry won, but it was extremely close. I wouldn't take anything for granted. As far as old people die off. Many liberals became rather conservative later in life when they move to the suburbs and have children. Take a look at the hippie baby boomers from the 60's. They were going to change the world. Talk about white flight, McMansions, sprawlville, anti tax and the rest. Maybe the most conservative generation ever. As soon as people have something of value(family, career, home, investments etc) it's amazing how conservative they become.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 12-20-2009 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Ironically, the most conservative counties in Wisconsin are all in suburban Milwaukee. The rest of the state, excluding a handful of Northern counties, all trended Democratic in the last election.

President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times
They tended Democrat in the last election, but that's only one election. Check out how close the previous two presidential elections were, or the voting patterns of the last few elections, or how frequently the state assembly and governor's mansion changes hands. Not to mention "Democrat" does not equal "Progressive," something else the "progressives" within the party might take notice of. The Democratic party is, of course, a broad coalition.

Wisconsin is only "progressive" if you live in one of its handful of progressive bubbles. Everyone else recognizes Wisconsin for what it is: a state that is about as closely divided politically as any state could be.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:18 PM

12 posts, read 52,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I didn't necessarily mean politically conservative, although the South is that, too. The word "conservative" just means traditional, resisting change, etc. These are bad things to most people. The person who posted the original question was looking for a "diverse" place with people of different backgrounds and ethnicities. That sounds to me like a culturally progressive place is desired, not a conservative place. Has nothing to do with politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin