Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:56 AM

4 posts, read 16,762 times

Advertisements

Have been offered employment in Duluth/Superior area - good job/great pay but must relocate. Is it better to live in Duluth or Superior? What are the people like? Best areas/apt communities to rent in? Thanks!!!!!! Moving from a community of about 250,000 people.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 AM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
I don't know where you are moving from or what you are looking for, but both Duluth and Superior have their good and bad points. In my humble opinion, Duluth is turning into a pit of crime, section 8 housing, and government debt that will further degrade the quality of life for its citizens for years to come. Superior isn't too far behind, at one time it had more bars per capita than any other city in the USA. I don't know if it is still true or not. There are plenty of areas on the outskirts of both cities that I find really appealing. Wisconsin has higher property taxes and gas taxes than MN but lower sales tax. I moved out of Duluth a number of years ago and watch its decline from 25 miles south.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:18 PM

Thanks Delanyland....would be relocating from Sioux Falls. I was hoping for a more upscale environment but what I'm hearing from people is that the area is very blue collar and other than the climate - that I wouldn't like it. The rental housing I have found online is almost all income based or section 8. I hate to pass up this job but ya gotta like where you live.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 PM

40 posts, read 259,351 times
I haven't lived in Duluth, but I have visited that area somewhat frequently, and I had to add my non-resident perspective. True, from what some of the local people are saying the city has issues, and it is unfortunate that crime appears to be on the rise, but the region that Duluth/Superior is in is also one of the most scenic in the Midwest. Duluth has really done some nice work in the canal park area over the past 10 years or so. Heading north of Duluth, along the north shore of Lake Superior is the kind of scenery you would expect in down-east Maine, not in the Midwest. And speaking of Lake Superior, the neighborhoods along and near the lake look really nice to me, as does Cloquet, as does the UM-D area, as do a lot of the areas surrounding the two cities. It is not as if this is a crowded metropolis surrounded by suburbs, there appear to be plenty of houses for sale, with acreage, just outside of Duluth and Superior.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
Thanks Delanyland....would be relocating from Sioux Falls. I was hoping for a more upscale environment but what I'm hearing from people is that the area is very blue collar and other than the climate - that I wouldn't like it. The rental housing I have found online is almost all income based or section 8. I hate to pass up this job but ya gotta like where you live.
I lived in Rapid City and am somewhat familiar with Sioux Falls. I also lived in Wisconsin and am somewhat familiar with Superior and Duluth. If anything--Duluth would be more similar to Sioux Falls, than would be Superior. Superior is a old city, rather drab and dilapadated. Was through there like 3 times, the last time about 5 years ago. Was NOT at all impressed with Superior. Duluth, at least on the surface, looked rather appealing. Real nice lakefront, some beautiful parks. The downtown seemed somewhat vibrant, was really "Hilly"--kind of like a little San Francisco. I noticed some nice neighborhoods in Duluth with interesting homes, but also saw some pretty crappy areas. Winters up there can be BRUTAL, especially when an East wind blows off the lake. I don't believe that I would want to live up there, but Duluth was a nice place to visit. Good luck to you. BTW---I LOVED living in Rapid City for the 3 years I was there. Really is a most appealing city!!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I think you will find that Duluth is quite different from Sioux Falls in appearance. It isn't as clean/nice looking as Sioux Falls but it is MUCH more scenic. You won't see the number of new developments in Duluth that Sioux Falls has. If you have been through Sioux City, IA, Duluth is similar to that, very industrial looking.

As for the make up of the populations in Duluth vs Sioux Falls, I think you will find a similar population structure with some of the not so nice areas in Duluth comparing to the areas on the north end of Sioux Falls (12th St. area). Duluth will be similar in that there are a couple colleges/universities, it is the regional medical center as well.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:01 AM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
Quote:
There are nicer places to live than Duluth proper, if you look at some of the communities outside the city limits you'll probably like many areas you see. I don't know if you've got your heart set on living in the city or not. Seems like a lot of folks that don't live here concentrate on wanting a view of the big lake and unless you've got a pile of money or want to live on the hillside, that just won't happen. My wife and I enjoy country living, she drives 20 minutes to Duluth for work every day (which I don't think is terrible) and we've got the luzury of living on 38 acres in a 2800 sf house that would be quadruple the price if we were closer to the city. If you are interested, I could give some information on the outlying areas. A friend of mine moved here from Des Moines 3 years ago and he seems to like it but he'd like it hotter in the summer, me, I'd die in the heat of Des Moines.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Thanks everyone so much for the info thus far. I'm very attracted by the scenery and especially the climate - hate hot, humid weather in the summer. Does anyone know what a "tank heater" is?

Old 05-06-2007, 07:00 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,831 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone so much for the info thus far. I'm very attracted by the scenery and especially the climate - hate hot, humid weather in the summer. Does anyone know what a "tank heater" is?
A"Tank Heater" could be several different things. What is it in reference too??

Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
A"Tank Heater" could be several different things. What is it in reference too??
When I hear "tank heater" I think one of three things:

1) A home furnace run on oil, which is typically stored in an underground tank right near the house;

2) A hot-water tank?

3) The heater in an A1 Abrams tank that keeps its crew cozy during winter combat exercises
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin