Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 01:09 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Perhaps.
You gotta admit WI does not do itself pround with the likes of Kohl, Feingold or Obey though.

1. I think Kohl is dead. He reminds me of the movie "Weekend at Bernie's".
2. Obey has not had an original thought in years.
3. Feingold is just nuts. It is good to see that he just wants to pocket his $ now. He is pretty quiet these days. No longer the "rebel" he used to portray himself as.
Thankfully, our politicians here in Wisconsin don't get arrested by the feds as frequently as they do in Illinois.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 07:15 PM

172 posts, read 414,310 times
I was thinking Waukesha, too.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Thankfully, our politicians here in Wisconsin don't get arrested by the feds as frequently as they do in Illinois.
Aww come on, their kinda luvable that way.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:18 PM

177 posts, read 686,815 times
Quote:
And the most of them are what, democrats!

Great thread!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehobothBeachDela_where View Post
And the most of them are what, democrats!

Great thread!
Most of the politicians in Wisconsin are Democrats too, what's your point? Are you implying that the Democrats have a monopoly on corruption? Do the names Jack Abramoff or Tom Delay mean anything to you?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 PM

33 posts, read 87,325 times
I don't know if this has changed, but at one time wasn't the Fox River area from Appleton to Green Bay quite a conservative area? I don't have the stats, so maybe someone can verify or refute that.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:24 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Wausau, Appleton, Rhinelander..... all pretty conservative. My brother moved there - and came running back to Madison.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 AM

101 posts, read 219,244 times
I was born and raised in Appleton and it is slowly becoming more diversified. Oshkosh, however, is probably the most conservative (and non-progressive) city I've ever had the displeasure of living in. And I lived in Utah for awhile. That says something. If it helps anyone out, Oshkosh is sure NOT to have it. But I don't want to just slam the city. It does have some pretty good restaurants. And Lake Winnebago is pretty cool (not during lake fly season). It does seem like an nice mid-sized city. It's just not for me. I've got a buddy that lives in Waukesha and the north and west suburbs of Milwaukee are very conservative, but Oshkosh trumps them all. Fond du Lac comes in at a close second.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
I was born and raised in Appleton and it is slowly becoming more diversified. Oshkosh, however, is probably the most conservative (and non-progressive) city I've ever had the displeasure of living in. And I lived in Utah for awhile. That says something. If it helps anyone out, Oshkosh is sure NOT to have it. But I don't want to just slam the city. It does have some pretty good restaurants. And Lake Winnebago is pretty cool (not during lake fly season). It does seem like an nice mid-sized city. It's just not for me. I've got a buddy that lives in Waukesha and the north and west suburbs of Milwaukee are very conservative, but Oshkosh trumps them all. Fond du Lac comes in at a close second.
I love when people have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Social services in Oshkosh are exactly the same as they are in every other part of the state. Oshkosh has the university and more minorities than any other city in the Fox Valley, which contributes to it not being conservative. Historically, Neenah, Appleton, and small cities like Little Chute and Kimberly were very conservative, but as more people move to the Valley from places like Milwaukee, Chicago, Twin Cities, and elsewhere, the area has steadily gotten more moderate to liberal. Both Winnebago and Outagamie counties went for Obama in the 2008 election, and both are represented by Democrats in the US House of Representatives.

FDL county went for McCain, but I still say the southern counties like Waukesha, Rock, and Washington are the most conservative places in the whole state.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 PM

21 posts, read 105,673 times
Quote:
I love when people have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Social services in Oshkosh are exactly the same as they are in every other part of the state. Oshkosh has the university and more minorities than any other city in the Fox Valley, which contributes to it not being conservative. Historically, Neenah, Appleton, and small cities like Little Chute and Kimberly were very conservative, but as more people move to the Valley from places like Milwaukee, Chicago, Twin Cities, and elsewhere, the area has steadily gotten more moderate to liberal. Both Winnebago and Outagamie counties went for Obama in the 2008 election, and both are represented by Democrats in the US House of Representatives.

FDL county went for McCain, but I still say the southern counties like Waukesha, Rock, and Washington are the most conservative places in the whole state.
Actually, Fond du Lac County went for Obama over McCain 56% to 42%, but is represented by a Republican in the House.

Other than Madison there isn't any place in the state that is inhospitable to Republicans and conservatives in general. Oshkosh may seem more to the right than some areas, it certainly is very business-friendly. The print media in the big three Fox Valley cities - Appleton, Oshkosh and Fondy - are all owned by Gannett, and show a slightly right-of-center attitude in their editorial positions. One gets the feeling that they would like to go more conservative if corporate headquarters in Washington would allow it. And there is an abundance of radio stations that carry all the right-leaning talkers, and also a lot of Christian stations. Their are the normal amount of zealots on both sides of the political spectrum, but if anything stands out about the views of the general population in Central Wisconsin it is that they are not as concerned with the push-pull of the national debate as the hardcore on either side would hope for. People are more into just trying to make a living, enjoying the endless year-round recreational opportunities that the state offers, and rooting for the Packers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin