Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 04:08 PM

720 posts, read 3,008,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Um, congratulations I guess?
Online/Media companies tend to be laid back so comming from a botique ad agency, online company, media company you are going to hate a corporate atmosphere.

Also, I'm not a worker drone like so many people, regardless of how good the money is I'm not going to do something I'm miserable doing.

Was laid off for 6 months, decided I didn't wanna work for someone else and started my own media company and making about 10% more than I would have at orbitz even in this business climate so hell ya congrats to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,917,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Online/Media companies tend to be laid back so comming from a botique ad agency, online company, media company you are going to hate a corporate atmosphere.

Also, I'm not a worker drone like so many people, regardless of how good the money is I'm not going to do something I'm miserable doing.

Was laid off for 6 months, decided I didn't wanna work for someone else and started my own media company and making about 10% more than I would have at orbitz even in this business climate so hell ya congrats to me.
Hahaha--yeah you're not a drone; you're special. It's everybody else who are drones. You keep telling yourself that!

And Orbitz is 'corporate america' because you didn't like working there, but another company that does the exact same thing, where you work in the exact same job--they're not 'corporate america' simply because you did like working there. Right, that's what defines 'corporate america'. Uh-huh.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 PM

720 posts, read 3,008,787 times
Quote:
Hahaha--yeah you're not a drone; you're special. It's everybody else who are drones. You keep telling yourself that!

And Orbitz is 'corporate america' because you didn't like working there, but another company that does the exact same thing, where you work in the exact same job--they're not 'corporate america' simply because you did like working there. Right, that's what defines 'corporate america'. Uh-huh.
Apparently you didn't read what I said and have no idea what your talking about.

Smaller online/media/ad companies tend to be young, casual, laid back, tight knit, etc.

Larger companies, places with a "corporate culture" tend to be very different.

Your right I liked one place and not the other but the whole point of this thread is uptight corporate companies and I was describing how if you aren't used to that and get into it you will hate it.

Btw, I'm a better boss than any boss I've ever had at a large corporation.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Btw, I'm a better boss than any boss I've ever had at a large corporation.
Yes, you really do think you are quite special, don't you? And that's not at all a corporate mentality!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:29 PM

49 posts, read 252,332 times
I can relate to this as well. Similar to a beehive, the worker bees (front line) delivers the goods while the queens (upper management) sit back and soak up all the glory. malamute hit the nail on the head when he/she said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, that's one of the problems.

The top guy doesn't really know what the job involves at the other levels.
And because things don't work well, they keep adding middle layers when streamlining works better. If one middle manager or VP can't do his job right, they get him an assistant, and then that position gets an assistant. Paper moves very slowly - sitting on many desks getting approval after approval - but the higher ups don't even know what they're approving really - it's just to make the lower guys nervous.

The only reason things go on at all is because the front lines keep on plugging away, trying to get the work out. Or they keep on goofing off and the middle and top doesn't know it. If they sense a problem they'll call for yet another meeting to put all the heads together, the heads that don't really know what's happening on the front lines anyhow, they'll discuss it and have to report back with some spreadheet and action plan -- and life at the front lines goes on as always until they get hit with a layoff.
This is exactly what happened to me. Upper managment essentially ignored the market segment that I worked in and actually turned business away because it was not high profile enough for them. I worked very hard to establish relationships that resulted in business walking in the door only to have it turned away because some pinhead (middle management) at corporate (with spreadsheet in hand) determined that the company's resources were better used elsewhere. In the end, it was decided that the market I worked in was "not producing the results the company anticipated". Well no S#%T !!!!! Now, my former company has posted a whopping $29.5 million loss over the last four quarters. But no worries, all the middle and upper management are still gainfully employed with their mid six figure salaries. **Sigh**

And another thing I've noticed with large corporations, they will pay a consulting firm $2.5 millon to tell them what to do but they won't ask the front line (who would be more than happy to answer the same damn questions for FREE).................????????????? Go figure !!!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I can relate to this as well. Similar to a beehive, the worker bees (front line) delivers the goods while the queens (upper management) sit back and soak up all the glory. malamute hit the nail on the head when he/she said:

This is exactly what happened to me. Upper managment essentially ignored the market segment that I worked in and actually turned business away because it was not high profile enough for them. I worked very hard to establish relationships that resulted in business walking in the door only to have it turned away because some pinhead (middle management) at corporate (with spreadsheet in hand) determined that the company's resources were better used elsewhere. In the end, it was decided that the market I worked in was "not producing the results the company anticipated". Well no S#%T !!!!! Now, my former company has posted a whopping $29.5 million loss over the last four quarters. But no worries, all the middle and upper management are still gainfully employed with their mid six figure salaries. **Sigh**

And another thing I've noticed with large corporations, they will pay a consulting firm $2.5 millon to tell them what to do but they won't ask the front line (who would be more than happy to answer the same damn questions for FREE).................????????????? Go figure !!!
Just listen to yourself.

First you say (or agree) that corporations and their workers are robotic drones, doing the same thing without thinking, staying in that rut without thinking about how to do things different or better. Well obviously your company wants to change, and if they ask their current employees--those robots you complain about--they won't get anything but robotic repetitive answers. The only way for a company to not repeat the corporate drone cycle is to bring in outside perspectives. And yet you complain about this too.

And from your own description you are part of that middle management inertia. Of course you think you're special and different from all the rest but you're just the same. You are in your rut, with your routine sales pitch, even though clearly management wants a different type of client. But instead of thinking of how you should do things differently, you just continue along in your rut and then complain that its management's fault that your rut doesn't fit their changing business model. You ARE corporate america. Stop deluding yourself that you are any different.

Maybe the better definition of a corporate drone is people who complain about everything, simply for the sake of complaining.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:44 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,847,706 times
Quote:
Yes, you really do think you are quite special, don't you? And that's not at all a corporate mentality!
Bad day at the office? or just that Sunday dread of the coming Monday?

Old 08-16-2010, 12:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
once a horse has gotten used of running loose without a rider and saddle, the notion of the bit and saddle and spurs seems bizarre.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:27 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,578,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Bad day at the office? or just that Sunday dread of the coming Monday?
Little heavy on the charm huh

Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,659,557 times
Yes, I deal with a lot of very stiff, uptight people where I work. A lot of "regulations" and "rules" are really quite unnecessary and only in place because one idiot decided not to follow protocol so now everyone has to deal with the new regulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment