Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,788,949 times

Advertisements

I have a story to add at the risk of being very boring but I do think it's quite relevant.

Over 11 years ago one of my customers/friends was shot and killed at my restaurant during an armed robbery. My business went down the tubes drastically in the next several months and I asked my landlord if he would consider reducing the rent. He came over to meet with me, carrying a large bible. His daughter accompanied him. They agreed to a substantial and most generous rent reduction. Then his daughter turned to me and said, "I know you probably don't want to hear this but if you give yourself to Jesus Christ all your problems will be solved."

This foray into the field of religious beliefs was actually quite painless and conducted most civilly and we actually had an interesting philosophical discussion about the bible and its roots. Of course she'd never heard of the Dead Sea scrolls or the Gnostic Gospels but she then came up with the proclamation that unless I gave myself to Jesus I simply wouldn't go to Heaven, period.

I asked her, "So, let's put this into perspective. Are you telling me that a serial killer on death row who has slaughtered countless people and deprived countless families of their loved ones will go to Heaven if he accepts Jesus into his life but I, who have never knowingly hurt anyone in my life, will be denied access because I haven't officially given myself to Jesus?"

"Yes," was her simple response. Yikes. I was polite and simply told her, "With all due respect, we just can't continue this conversation as there's no way that we'll ever see eye to eye."

I've had several other amusing encounters with religious zealots who firmly believe that God/Jesus/prayers will solve all the problems. But heck, those zealots will see a guiding light in the simplest of "signs". A penny retrieved from the ground = God's way of showing us we're taken care of.
An unwanted pregnancy of a 13 year old = "God's Will". It never ends and there's no point fighting it because the believers will never believe the unbelievers or the disbelievers. I don't know if anybody here watched the George W. Bush CD, "FAITH in The White House"? To a believer it must have rocked but to any remote sceptic it was so the worst of the worst.

OP, just ignore their silliness, smile and go on your merry way. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Bottom line is: If you want to pray for a job or anything else, it's your previledge to do it! If you don't believe in pray.......it's simple, DON'T PRAY, but try to be courteous to folks who want to pray for you!! Believers and non-believers will ALWAYS squabble. It's been that way for centuries!
If the OP has a problem with her parents telling her to pray or that they are praying for her......then it's HER problem to confront her parents about this or simply say "thank you". All the anger she has over it and saying WTF in her Thread isn't helping her situation one bit. The gal has a problem and none of us have a Master's or PHd in Physiology to help her!
A lot of us believe in praying/Faith to help our situation, no matter what it is! Some of you don't believe in praying and that's entirely up to you!
I don't think she has such a problem that requires a trained psychotherapist or psychiatrist. It's a pretty simple problem which has been addressed. If she said WTF, then WTF? She's frustrated and looking for advice which she has received in very good measure.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,550,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Stuck View Post
I'm getting sick of them telling me "god this and god that". I'm 2 months behind on my rent and these fools are telling me to "let the lord handle it".

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but that has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I even told one family member that I was going to relocate and try to find work elsewhere and they said----"don't do it, god told me he has something for you there".

One thing that they cannot tell me is WHEN will god provide me with a job. They always say "God will provide it to you when he's ready and just when you need it."------WTF!!!!
Why is it that whenever people say things like "no offense" or "I'm not trying to be disrespectful" they always end up being offensive and disrespectful?? It's like they are thinking "ok, I have now put this shield to protect me so now I can be as offensive and disrespectful as I want". You call people who care about you fools but of course you're not "trying to be disrespectful".

And you wonder why you haven't had any luck lately??

Old 10-19-2010, 01:54 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,220,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I had initially responded to your and her quotes. But I'm not going through that again.
I know you responded to both, frankly, I think you might of gotten us confused, and that's fine. It happens.

Quote:
And bashing isn't always blatant and obvious, just so you know. It's an opinion to think a male godhead ideal as "screwy" (just because you and others may not agree with the dynamics), or referring to someone's god as the "Grand Poobah (of the Universe)". Like it or not, it's a mockery of another's faith. However, I think you wanted to make a point, without realizing that. I still think you're one of the better posters here, as you kept your responses within reason. I know you did not make the more/most offensive comments in this thread, and am not accusing you of that.
To be clear, I don't view faith as a singular entity across the board. Faith that is comprised of screwiness, as I see it, will be labeled as such. That doesn't mean all faith, all perceptions of a supreme being/way, will be met with similar attitudes on my part. I have my opinions and will not be forced or bullied into withholding my opinion, or diminishing my perception of reality, because a group of humans believe in a MAN in the sky. Also, I don't think the terms I use are incorrect. Frankly, the premise is a matter of self-mockery. It's right up their with CTers. It has little to do with me.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 10-19-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,059,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I know you responded to both, frankly, I think you might of gotten us confused, and that's fine. It happens.

To be clear, I don't view faith as a singular entity across the board. Faith that is comprised of screwiness, as I see it, will be labeled as such. That doesn't mean all faith, all perceptions of a supreme being/way, will be met with similar attitudes on my part. I have my opinions and will not be forced or bullied into withholding my opinion, or diminishing my perception of reality, because a group of humans believe in a MAN in the sky. Also, I don't think the terms I use are incorrect. Frankly, the premise is a matter of self-mockery. It's right up their with CTers. It has little to do with me.
...Take care.

Last edited by LexWest; 10-19-2010 at 06:25 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 08:31 PM

8,987 posts, read 20,410,823 times
Well, just because you don't care what people write, mad or not, doesn't mean others don't! Only thing wife/I can think of is if she uses this kind of language on a public forum, we can just imagine the language she uses period! The girl has got a problem and is very, very upset and it isn't just with what her parents are saying to her about praying!! She is not a "believer" and they are and she needs to learn how to handle that in general. Sounds like she had other problems crop up due to the difference in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't think she has such a problem that requires a trained psychotherapist or psychiatrist. It's a pretty simple problem which has been addressed. If she said WTF, then WTF? She's frustrated and looking for advice which she has received in very good measure.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't think she has such a problem that requires a trained psychotherapist or psychiatrist.
To be fair, LoveBoating actually suggested she visit a physiologist... which would only be helpful if she's looking to run a marathon or something. Sorry, I just couldn't resist pointing that out!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,025,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, just because you don't care what people write, mad or not, doesn't mean others don't! Only thing wife/I can think of is if she uses this kind of language on a public forum, we can just imagine the language she uses period! The girl has got a problem and is very, very upset and it isn't just with what her parents are saying to her about praying!! She is not a "believer" and they are and she needs to learn how to handle that in general. Sounds like she had other problems crop up due to the difference in this.
Wow, I can't imagine what you'd think of me... because I'm a woman who swears like a sailor!! But I do know when to be professional, and seeing as I usually work with kids, I'm VERY good at holding my tongue when appropriate. I know you're a bit older (no offense), so it's probably shocking how the GenX & younger generations speak - we do have dirty mouths, I admit. Not a good reason to judge her, though, especially when it's a simple "WTF" on an internet forum. Do you really think that equals emotional issues??

Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
To be fair, LoveBoating actually suggested she visit a physiologist... which would only be helpful if she's looking to run a marathon or something. Sorry, I just couldn't resist pointing that out!
Thanks - too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wow, I can't imagine what you'd think of me... because I'm a woman who swears like a sailor!! But I do know when to be professional, and seeing as I usually work with kids, I'm VERY good at holding my tongue when appropriate. I know you're a bit older (no offense), so it's probably shocking how the GenX & younger generations speak - we do have dirty mouths, I admit. Not a good reason to judge her, though, especially when it's a simple "WTF" on an internet forum. Do you really think that equals emotional issues??
I'm older than him. WTF.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 AM

8,987 posts, read 20,410,823 times
Don't care if you are old than us! Thank God that we (wife/I) don't hang around/make friends with people who use this kind of language!! Sorry, but there is just an extreme amount of foul language that people use on the Internet today......even when using abbrivations that a lot of people know what it means.
I can't tell people how to talk, but by reading what they write can surely tell anyone certain things about them. As for the OP, I'll be we are close to twice your age, right?

I'm older than him. WTF. [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment