Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 AM

58 posts, read 322,267 times

Advertisements

Since employers are so fearful of laying off employees because of potential lawsuits, maybe it means that they know that the odds of winning a wrongful termination lawsuit are stacked in favour of the former employee. In my case, I could easily argue that my former boss had it in for me, as demonstrated by evidence I collected while I was employed. Not saying that I would win the case, but there is always the possibility that the former employer would agree to settle out of court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 09:47 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
What will you gain from it? A major headache and legal fees and possibly a settlement. Instead of burning bridges and scaring future employers with your actions why don't you take the high road and use your time to find a better job?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFestus View Post
In my case, I could easily argue that my former boss had it in for me, as demonstrated by evidence I collected while I was employed.
It all depends on the magnitude of this statement. Some lawsuits are legitimate. Maybe yours is. I'd research the internet a little more to get a gauge what the prospects of your success would be.

Your case better be good.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
Quote:
Since employers are so fearful of laying off employees because of potential lawsuits, maybe it means that they know that the odds of winning a wrongful termination lawsuit are stacked in favour of the former employee. In my case, I could easily argue that my former boss had it in for me, as demonstrated by evidence I collected while I was employed. Not saying that I would win the case, but there is always the possibility that the former employer would agree to settle out of court.
I'm not aware of employers being fearful of potential lawsuits related to labor reductions.

If you have a wrongful discharge case, you should pursue it if that's consistent with your values. However, I don't think it's worth the headache going after a settlement.

With respect, I think if you have lived your life in such a way that $5k is worth the trouble, then you have better things to spend your time on than annoying a former employer.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Since employers are so fearful of laying off employees because of potential lawsuits,
Do you realize how many employees have been laid off in the last few years? I don't think your comment has any basis in reality.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:17 AM

58 posts, read 322,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do you realize how many employees have been laid off in the last few years? I don't think your comment has any basis in reality.
If you are talking about mass layoffs that's one thing, but that's not my case.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:29 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
There is a person of an ethnic minoirity where I work, who is also considered a disabled veteran. This person does zip work, shows up late, when this person does decide to come to work, and everything this person does is wrong, so it needs to be re-done by another person. This person is completely useless. Sorry, it is the truth. But will never be laid off, or fired from the job. It just is not worth the hassle. My boss does not even bother to write this person up any more, because they brought in a note regarding missing work, due to disability. And that job duties needed to be modified for the disability. It is a joke. The person just shows up when ever they feel like it, and just talks on the phone all day to friends. Does nothing. Will never be fired. Outrageous.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is a person of an ethnic minoirity where I work, who is also considered a disabled veteran. This person does zip work, shows up late, when this person does decide to come to work, and everything this person does is wrong, so it needs to be re-done by another person. This person is completely useless. Sorry, it is the truth. But will never be laid off, or fired from the job. It just is not worth the hassle. My boss does not even bother to write this person up any more, because they brought in a note regarding missing work, due to disability. And that job duties needed to be modified for the disability. It is a joke. The person just shows up when ever they feel like it, and just talks on the phone all day to friends. Does nothing. Will never be fired. Outrageous.
According to the EEOC:

The law requires an employer to provide reasonable accommodation to an employee or job applicant with a disability, unless doing so would cause significant difficulty or expense for the employer ("undue hardship").

Source: Disability Discrimination

Your story doesn't sound authentic to me.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
It is authentic, I live it every day. It drives me crazy.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is authentic, I live it every day. It drives me crazy.
If your boss facilitates a bad work environment, it's your problem for continuing to work there. That has nothing to do with anyone's disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment