Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 03:43 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times

Advertisements

Has anyone cried at work? Especially over the uncertainty of layoffs, mandatory overtime and workload? These have been big factors looming at our workplace and I was talking to a friend at work about the situation and I just broke down! I'm glad it was late in the afternoon when the office was almost empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:25 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Yeah, but it's not something I make a practice of doing! Once I broke down in front of a co-worker, back when I was a library manager... it was after closing (so just the two of us were there), and she commented that I looked stressed and sad. Apparently she was right, because that instantly got the tears flowing. We ended up having a long heart-to-heart, and it actually helped to get everything out of my system. Definitely not something I do often, though - can only recall one other time besides this example, but that was in private (during a break).

Old 12-17-2010, 05:34 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Men don't cry at work; probably women do.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
Gay! I have seen a couple women cry at work. Usually it's later in the day when no one is around. There have been people who have cried at work when they have been told they were laid off, that I understand.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Men don't cry at work; probably women do.
I'm sure we (women) do that more, but I'd bet a few men have cried at work...

Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I had to keep a box of tissues on my desk at all times when I was in corporate HR; a large percentage of employees who came to discuss their work situations cried. Mostly women.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:58 AM

21 posts, read 73,333 times
I used to have a boss who loved to demean me at work. I had more experience in the field than she did and could have done her job with my eyes closed. She loved to let me know she was the boss!! I just up and quit one day and have been at my present job 11 years and love every second.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
There is no need to cry. Put on a face and carry on. Then quietly get even. Women are evil to each other in the workplace. It feels like high school all over again. Women bosses seem to delight in humiliating, overloading to the extreme, setting up to fail, and doing lots of other great things to their female employees. They seem to treat the males fine. This is gender discrimination, pure and simple. I had a boss last year like the one Bmore Grl described. I resigned without notice and made sure I did it exactly when I knew she would not be in the office. When she arrived, I know she must have hit the roof, which is what I wanted. My former boss was so evil to me that I actually had to plan my escape (resignation), and word the resignation letter very carefully.

Never cry. Just get even, with a smile and with class.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM

219 posts, read 562,554 times
I'm crying right now.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Has anyone cried at work? Especially over the uncertainty of layoffs, mandatory overtime and workload? These have been big factors looming at our workplace and I was talking to a friend at work about the situation and I just broke down! I'm glad it was late in the afternoon when the office was almost empty.
I have seen both men and women cry at work. Usually it is because they are super stressed-out about a lot of different things and whatever was happening at work was just the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Personally, I am usually to p|ssed off to cry. But I occasionally have a good scream in the bathroom. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment