Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 02:17 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
One of the first requirements in the world of grown up people (I mean to cast no aspersions on you in saying this) is the ability to be wronged. If you were 'wrongly' terminated you have a case at court almost by definition. If you were terminated merely for a reason unsatisfactory to you that is another matter. As to 'idiot demands'...well?

If s/he's paying you, you have to do what the idiot tells you to do or quit.
In my case, I did what a former idiot boss told me to do, and was still terminated. And the reason had nothing to do with my job performance.

As for being an adult, injustice in any context, shouldn't have to be tolerated. With your mentality on this subject, blacks still wouldn't be able to vote, in the south!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:17 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
My whole point, is that abolishing the employment at will rule, would empower the employee. And now more than ever, employees need more empowerment in the workplace!
If I were bound by law to keep every employee I hired, I'd be forced to be mighty picky in my hiring practices. That leaves the inexperienced and the untested applicants looking to prove themselves out in the cold. The 'at will' doctrine can only be replaced with a coercive alternative that will send even more jobs overseas.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:

As for being an adult, injustice in any context, shouldn't have to be tolerated. With your mentality on this subject, blacks still wouldn't be able to vote, in the south!
I'd credit you with believing what you just wrote but to do so would affront your intelligence.

Continuing this discussion with you after a comment like that would affront my intelligence.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And how exactly did you arive at your number of 40-50%? Other than just picking it out of thin air to help support your argument.
I said that was my 'guestimate', not a hard and fast rule. Lighten-up!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I'd credit you with believing what you just wrote but to do so would affront your intelligence.

Continuing this discussion with you after a comment like that would affront my intelligence.
Don't go away mad, just go away!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Don't go away mad, just go away!
I begin to sympathize with the guy that fired you.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:32 PM

41 posts, read 72,880 times
Quote:
No one has a right to a job. Period.

If you like your job and you want to keep it, work hard and make yourself essential to your employer.

No one has a right to social peace. Period.

If you like social peace and want to keep it work hard to make yourself and society halfway fair.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 PM

41 posts, read 72,880 times
Quote:
Why would an employer let a valuable employee go?
Stupidity. It's pretty common in business, there being many reasons that cause people act stupidly.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:42 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
I doubt that 95% of employers, don't discriminate. You'd have to show me hard evidence to back that up. Any fool knows that employers are subect to fire people. But what I'M saying, is that employers shouldn't be able to just let people go, for ridiculous reasons. And many do. And many do discriminate. The employment at will rule, makes it all too easy for employers to do that.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
If I were bound by law to keep every employee I hired, I'd be forced to be mighty picky in my hiring practices. That leaves the inexperienced and the untested applicants looking to prove themselves out in the cold. The 'at will' doctrine can only be replaced with a coercive alternative that will send even more jobs overseas.
Nobody has said that you would be 'bound by law to keep every employee that you hired'. But the employment at will rule, means that you can fire any employee, for any flimsy, frivilous excuse. And that should be abolished. If an employer can prove that an emplyee is no good, and has been warned in writing that their job is in jeopardy, then the employee should be fired.

On the other hand, you shouldn't be allowed to terminate an employee, for a flimsy reason, that isn't based on their behavior, or perfromance. Get it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment