Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 AM

63 posts, read 287,386 times

Advertisements

I looked for other threads before submitting this one to avoid starting a new one, but couldn't find any. I really need some advice.

I am currently a SAHM for the past 5 years and am in my early 40's. Before I stopped working I was in the insurance industry for 10 years, my last position was an insurance adjuster for a large carrier. I always thought I would be able to return to that company because I had an excellent work history with them. I recently spent 6 weeks applying and interviewing with this company. First I had a phone interview, moved on and took a 7 part, 4 hour assessment test - and passed. Even though I was told not many pass. Then moved on to a 3 hour interview process with 5 managers and a potential co-worker. I think I was too confident at this point and let myself open up and be too friendly and joking with them...long story short I got a rejection letter over the weekend and I was devastated. I should mention none of my former managers are at this company any longer, they were all laid off or moved on themselves. Apparently the company has gone in a much more corporate and serious direction. Anyway, I am scared. I don't have any skills other than insurance. I never finished college.

I have people telling me all kinds of advice. Go back to school, they say. Problem is, that costs money and then I finish (hopefully) in my late 40's and now I have student loans. Worse, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. And I read here on these forums of people with college degrees who can't find a job either!

Or do I hit the pavement and take an entry level job and hope for the best? If I can find someone to give me a shot. Like I said, prior to quitting work, I always had an excellent work history - but will my 5 years at home nullify all that?

Then there is insurance. I can go get my license again on the cheap and try and find a claims job again. I hated claims. People yell at you, but its a job.

I worry about retirement and savings. Now that my husband and I reached 40, it hit me we are very unprepared. Please, no flames. Life gets in the way and you just don't think of these things.

So anyone who can offer suggestions or advice, I appreciate it. Or personal stories similar to mine. Sometimes all we need is a little hope, I guess.

Thanks if you read this far...I know its a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
You probably wouldn't need an entry level job. Claims adjusters have some skills that are valuable to an employer, like dealing with irate people in stressful times or being able to make difficult decisions and sticking with them. Take a look at places like hospital billing departments. Spend some time researching the companies in your area to see if any of them offer things like tuition reimbursement if you want to go back to school at some point.

Your five years at home shouldn't nullify your previous work experience. You had a kid. You're done having kids. You're ready to go back to work. That isn't a bad thing at all.

Remember that you are going back in to the work force to give your family more stability and a better future. The reason you'll go to whatever job you get is to provide for your family. At least an entry-level job can open doors for you and contributes to your family's future (unless you have to pay for daycare or extended care and your new job doesn't cover that cost, which is a whole different topic).

Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
You have a valuable skill. Don't be personally disappointed, things changed at your old job. I would find out where your old managers are working now and apply there. Check on linkedin to find out where they are working and give them a call. Tell them you are looking to get back in the business.

Use your contacts!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
The linked in suggestion is good, and if an employer won't pay for school, consider the state university system. Far cheaper, and with lower student loans, even with a degree in late 40s, there will be plenty of time for a solid Return on Investment on it.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 AM

33 posts, read 66,711 times
I have a friend who was a stay home mom for about 12 years. She got a temporary job at sort of a low salary but the hours meshed with being a mother.

They loved her at her job. After a few months, they took her on. She was running the office in a year.

Hang in there and keep your self esteem and dignity. Be open to temporary or part time work. Good luck to you and others in your shoes.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 PM

12 posts, read 21,043 times
Happy to see these posts. I am getting the feelin-'there is always light at the ened of tunnel'. Tampa1228, hang in there. There are many people like you. I am also a SAHM, (since 2009) and planning to return to workforce. It is so difficult to explain the long gap in resume.
btb i was working in a hiring firm,but i am more interested in getting into a new career.Thinking about taking some certification from nearby community college(probably something like early childhood education). Now in the process of gathering info before i make a decission.
Good luck to you..

Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Community colleges are such tremendous bargains!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Sorry you hate what you can get paid in...I don't really like my job much either...but that is why I am paid to go there...just start doing claims...then think about what else you would rather do...

Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 AM

12 posts, read 21,043 times
bobtn, i dont know where else should i go, I am looking for a short term certification.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:03 AM

63 posts, read 287,386 times
Thank you ALL for your comments! I truly do appreciate them all. One step at a time! Luckily, I am able to stay home until Fall when both kids are in school full time. One more summer care free! Keep the suggestions coming. And newbee, good luck to you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment