Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
not necessary.

those who cannot be bothered to exert themselves physically, however, should not be allowed to live.

The 50 lbs was an example of the usual weight I need to lift. Air compressors, bench tools, generators, cabinets, toilets...all weigh quite a bit more than that, and I do it MYSELF, we don't do a two man lift at my job. Everyone has to pull their own weight, or you're not needed. If you need "help" to do it, then you can't do the job.
Wow a lot of people built the items that you mentioned and many of those people never lift 50lbs. Engineers, designers, and others develped the concept for many of the items that you mentioned and I would guess they don't move 50lb loads.

Also not doing a 2 man lift for many things is a good way to end your career. Lucky you because then you won't have to lift anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
If you want to get something DONE, you have to actually DO something, not just "think about it".

Besides, thinking isn't difficult.
Clearly the simple level of thinking that you do is not difficult. As you can see, it has not gotten you anywhere.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
not necessary.

those who cannot be bothered to exert themselves physically, however, should not be allowed to live.

The 50 lbs was an example of the usual weight I need to lift. Air compressors, bench tools, generators, cabinets, toilets...all weigh quite a bit more than that, and I do it MYSELF, we don't do a two man lift at my job. Everyone has to pull their own weight, or you're not needed. If you need "help" to do it, then you can't do the job.
I'm glad you like your job because someone's got to do it and most have no desire to do non-innovative work.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
If you want to get something DONE, you have to actually DO something, not just "think about it".

Besides, thinking isn't difficult.
Ok then, please give me the framework for a Bayesian Forecasting model using exponential smoothing set in the framework of a mixed integer linear programming scenario to determine the optimal production schedule at your company.

It is 'just thinking'. You should be able to knock that out in your sleep, right? After all, that is just a white collar job.

Look, if you can't cut it at a real job - one that actually takes thought and have to resort to grunt work your whole life, that is fine, but please understand that is what you are doing. Give me six months at your company and I could develop a system that completely eliminates your job (or any manual labor job for that matter). Manual labor isn't real work. It is unnecessary cost to a business.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Ok then, please give me the framework for a Bayesian Forecasting model using exponential smoothing set in the framework of a mixed integer linear programming scenario to determine the optimal production schedule at your company.

It is 'just thinking'. You should be able to knock that out in your sleep, right? After all, that is just a white collar job.

Look, if you can't cut it at a real job - one that actually takes thought and have to resort to grunt work your whole life, that is fine, but please understand that is what you are doing. Give me six months at your company and I could develop a system that completely eliminates your job (or any manual labor job for that matter). Manual labor isn't real work. It is unnecessary cost to a business.
I like your post. Let me add that in our Lab area we used to have techs that would place specimens in test equipment. You complete a test and the tech would take the sample to have another test completed on another machine. This is mostly for blood work or other body fluids. Now that is all done on a single machine. It has what I like to refer to as a slot car type set up where the vials are delivered to what ever test equipment that you want it checked out on. Ok so it is not lifting 50lbs. How about another example.

In the past we would do everything in our Radiology department using actual X ray film. The packets are very heavy. Usually men would handle the job of moving that stuff around. We even had a 6,000 square foot storage area with 8 feet high shelving to store the x rays. That has all been eliminated because it is all digital now.

Just about any means of using the physical body can be duplicated by a machine now. The real reason that we have these jobs is because for now it can be cheaper to use a person then to convert over to new equipment. I always like to see what is out there and look for jobs that could be replaced by a machine, computer, or some other means. The person that thinks hard, you know using their brain, will eventually design tools that will do the job of those that use their backs to work.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:08 AM

TKramar, can you modify these formulas to your company real quick? I mean....it is just thinking, it is easy.

These are the basic forms of what I use regularly. Since this stuff is so easy I won't waste your time explaining any of this.

Use this probability

and just throw the part of your process you want to maximize into the Z variable below.

Again...easy. Right?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

He's capable of doing a white collar job, but he doesn't want to.

And you're right that machines can replace manual labor jobs. But machines don't think, so machines can't replace a job that requires thinking.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
He's capable of doing a white collar job, but he doesn't want to.

And you're right that machines can replace manual labor jobs. But machines don't think, so machines can't replace a job that requires thinking.
Sure machines can 'think'. AI has come a long way.

And if that were really the case, I would be more than OK with it. Obviously blue collar jobs are very hard work, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with working one. That being said, claiming anything that isn't physical labor is easy and not real work is nothing short of ignorant.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Clearly the simple level of thinking that you do is not difficult. As you can see, it has not gotten you anywhere.
I do intellectual things for fun, as a hobby.

Where is it supposed to "get me"? I'm not materialistic, and all of my bills get paid every month, so I'm doing just fine.

Why are we continuing to take this thread off topic? Why can't you just leave my statement--that white collar "work" isn't work--as it is, without having to comment and have back and forth on it?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow a lot of people built the items that you mentioned and many of those people never lift 50lbs. Engineers, designers, and others develped the concept for many of the items that you mentioned and I would guess they don't move 50lb loads.

Also not doing a 2 man lift for many things is a good way to end your career. Lucky you because then you won't have to lift anything.
None of us do--but we actually have muscles and know how to use them.
Someone comes in that can't hack it, we get rid of them. We convince them to quit, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment