Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My answer is--I would NEVER take a white collar job in the first place, for any amount of money. It isn't "work".
But...isn't sitting behind a desk doing taxes a "white collar job" - something you stated that you do (or have done) here:

"When I've done taxes, especially if it's slow, I can leave a sign saying I'll be back in 15 minutes. Get something to eat, come back and eat it at the desk."

Whatever happened to the 8 hour work day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
First you'd have to hire one. None of our supervisors are female. Females can be cashiers, and that's about it.
I have proudly reported to females who come with Ivy League degrees and who are sharp as a whip - I'll wager that they are a standard deviation above you in terms of IQ. They also had a proven track record of stellar achievement in a variety of settongs among very selective peer groups composed of the best of the best, and they rose faster in their careers than a lot of males did - so I'll also wager that they could buy and sell your entire family and then some. I learned a lot from them - chiefly that you don't let ignorant external boundaries define who you are and what you can do.

So let's summarize: these were women who it is safe to say were smarter than you, more caable than you, and more successful than you. So your opinion means...what again?

Oh, that's right - nothing.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Wait, people still take this TKramer troll seriously?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Yes, many of you do.
How is white collar jobs not "work"? There's a lot more "work" in terms of quantity going on at white collar jobs than there are at blue collar jobs. Sure, at blue collar jobs, there's work on a larger scale (movements of massive objects over a distances vs movement of electrons through synapse junctions from cell to cell), but they are both "work".

Old 04-12-2011, 11:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wait, people still take this TKramer troll seriously?
Yea, that troll should be banned for sure.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
But...isn't sitting behind a desk doing taxes a "white collar job" - something you stated that you do (or have done) here:

"When I've done taxes, especially if it's slow, I can leave a sign saying I'll be back in 15 minutes. Get something to eat, come back and eat it at the desk."

Whatever happened to the 8 hour work day?
I never claimed that it was a job. It's a volunteer gig. And I definitely would not characterize it as "work", it's far too simple to be work.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
I never claimed that it was a job. It's a volunteer gig. And I definitely would not characterize it as "work", it's far too simple to be work.
Doing taxes is more complicated than than the majority of physical labor.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
  • trade jobs with your office's security officer (guy that checks badges, etc) for double your salary?
yes
  • clean the bathrooms (janitor) for double your salary?
yes
  • rake the company grounds of leaves, operate the lawn machinery, the company landscaper for double your salary?
yes
  • work 3rd shift (same job as you have now) for double your salary?
yes
lol :d

Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Would love to know what jobs are work and which ones are not work?

Is an engineer someone who works?

What about a police officer?

Does your boss work? If your boss sits at a desk have you ever told them that they don't work? If not could you please and make sure that someone is videotaping so we can see it on the web.

How about managers or directors? Do they work or not?

Also I would like further information on your idea that women don't work. My sisters all have jobs and as far as I know they work. My wife works in Nursing and I can tell you she works her but off, but maybe that isn't work either. Her cousin is an Engineer and makes $200,000 a year in her mind "working" but maybe she really isn't working. Could you let me know if she is working or not? What about all the housekeeping staff at the hospital. Many of them are women. Are they working or not? I noticed that our landscaping company has a woman working for them, although I am using the term "working" as I know it and not as you know it. Maybe you can let me know if she is working as well.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Doing taxes is more complicated than than the majority of physical labor.
Not if you have more than half a brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment