Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Would love to know what jobs are work and which ones are not work?

Is an engineer someone who works?

What about a police officer?

Does your boss work? If your boss sits at a desk have you ever told them that they don't work? If not could you please and make sure that someone is videotaping so we can see it on the web.

How about managers or directors? Do they work or not?

Also I would like further information on your idea that women don't work. My sisters all have jobs and as far as I know they work. My wife works in Nursing and I can tell you she works her but off, but maybe that isn't work either. Her cousin is an Engineer and makes $200,000 a year in her mind "working" but maybe she really isn't working. Could you let me know if she is working or not? What about all the housekeeping staff at the hospital. Many of them are women. Are they working or not? I noticed that our landscaping company has a woman working for them, although I am using the term "working" as I know it and not as you know it. Maybe you can let me know if she is working as well.
I didn't say that women do not work. I have said that they are not needed in the workplace. I have said that at the company I work for, the only position they hold is cashier. Other locations may have them in some other position, but our location has no women working that do not work as a cashier. No management. No sales associates. No freight team associates. Just cashiers.

We have had women on the freight team in the past, but they couldn't hack it. They don't pull their weight. Everything's "too heavy" for them to lift or move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not if you have more than half a brain.
I get it. Computing taxes on multi-billion dollar corporations with tens of thousands of products sold on a daily basis is easier than lifting boxes. Who is thinking with half a brain here?

Quote:
We have had women on the freight team in the past, but they couldn't hack it. They don't pull their weight. Everything's "too heavy" for them to lift or move.

I get it now. You don't do real work, you do basic manual labor. Come back to us when you do something that is actually difficult.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

I get it now. You don't do real work, you do basic manual labor. Come back to us when you do something that is actually difficult.
I did that manuel work stuff before myself. Then I decided to go to school and get a degree. Now that I have that done others have taken over that have less education. I guess that they are now the ones working and I just spend all my time doing nothing. LOL

Old 04-13-2011, 12:30 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
I never claimed that it was a job. It's a volunteer gig. And I definitely would not characterize it as "work", it's far too simple to be work.
You can argue semantics and make your own definitional distinctions, but the fact remains that both manual / physical labor and intellectual / office labor are important and valuable tasks in a society. You would personally suffer if either type of task was not done. Don't play the fool and pretend that you don't recognize and appreciate this...I trust that you don't need me to draw a full picture of the obvious for you.

Also, I've been in business long enough to know that tax implications can be exceedingly complex depending on a variety of circumstances. There are trained lawyers, accountants, and consultants who make a very good living doing these things. Maybe what you do is simple and requires only half a brain, but this is not necessarily the norm in the tax world.

Last edited by ambient; 04-13-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I never claimed that it was a job. It's a volunteer gig. And I definitely would not characterize it as "work", it's far too simple to be work.
When you grow up and get a real job, have a family, buy a home, build a portfolio of investments, start a business of your own then it goes from being simple to being complicated. Their is more to taxes than the 1040EZ. LOL

Old 04-13-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
When you grow up and get a real job, have a family, buy a home, build a portfolio of investments, start a business of your own then it goes from being simple to being complicated. Their is more to taxes than the 1040EZ. LOL
I know, and if you can follow simple directions, anyone can fill out their tax forms. You overcomplicate things.

I've done Schedule Ds, capital loss carryovers, royalties, rental income, a wide variety of different returns. Like I said--it isn't difficult.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I know, and if you can follow simple directions, anyone can fill out their tax forms. You overcomplicate things.

I've done Schedule Ds, capital loss carryovers, royalties, rental income, a wide variety of different returns. Like I said--it isn't difficult.
Hey look I am with you on this one because I like doing taxes. I have no problem filling out the forms. For most people though they head over to places like H&R Block. You know one of those places that people are not working at. LOL

Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
  • Trade jobs with your office's security officer (guy that checks badges, etc) for double your salary?
  • Clean the bathrooms (janitor) for double your salary?
  • Rake the company grounds of leaves, operate the lawn machinery, the company landscaper for double your salary?
  • Work 3rd shift (same job as you have now) for double your salary?
No, it would be boring. I don't like sitting for long stretches of time and doing nothing.
No, I did it at the law firm where I worked when they cut the cleaning lady's hours. My boss's bathroom manners were disgusting.
YES!!!! I love outdoor/gardening work - I love working with and learning about plants, and I already make some decent money selling produce and especially herbs I grow myself. I've worked on local farms seasonally. The work is hard, the pay isn't great, but I really enjoy it and the learning experience was priceless to me.
No, I go to sleep with the chickens and get up at dawn.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Manual labor is the only form of "work" out there. The rest of it, you might be employed, but you do not do any "work".

Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Manual labor is the only form of "work" out there. The rest of it, you might be employed, but you do not do any "work".
According to physics, white collar jobs employ significan amounts of "work". So give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment