Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
None of us do--but we actually have muscles and know how to use them.
Someone comes in that can't hack it, we get rid of them. We convince them to quit, actually.
When you have done that lifting stuff for a while you will also be convinced to leave as well. The body was not made to do that kind of work forever. That is why God gave the majority of us brains so we could develop tools to do the lifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM

It is refreshing to see someone that values his job so much more than his employer does. I mean where I work those that are valued the most make the most.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,424,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
TKramar, can you modify these formulas to your company real quick? I mean....it is just thinking, it is easy.

These are the basic forms of what I use regularly. Since this stuff is so easy I won't waste your time explaining any of this.

Use this probability

Again...easy. Right?
This is technical knowledge. Not really thinking, even the modification part is mostly routine. Computer programmers have tremendous amounts of technical knowledge and modification/applying ability, but few today can find a 6-figure job. Those computer programmers who really break out and are highly sought after are not even that good technically, but know when to grasp opportunities and how to sell their ideas.

The thing about this recession is that it laid off mainly the desk jockeys. Just because you're a desk jockey with a lot of technical knowledge, doesn't make you indispensable. You're really no more indispensable than the UPS truck driver who you denigrate and probably paid lower too.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
This is technical knowledge. Not really thinking, even the modification part is mostly routine. Computer programmers have tremendous amounts of technical knowledge and modification/applying ability, but few today can find a 6-figure job. Those computer programmers who really break out and are highly sought after are not even that good technically, but know when to grasp opportunities and how to sell their ideas.

The thing about this recession is that it laid off mainly the desk jockeys. Just because you're a desk jockey with a lot of technical knowledge, doesn't make you indispensable. You're really no more indispensable than the UPS truck driver who you denigrate and probably paid lower too.
The equations such as the ones I posted are used by top management consulting companies where the lowest paid employee makes over $250,000/year.

Anyone can do an equation. You get paid top dollar if you can actually apply those equations to a business. If you could take equations such as the ones I posted and apply them to an enterprise-wide problem, you could easily pull in half a million dollars per year. Read some of the white papers written by McKinsey & Company. The math will make your head spin. It is anything but 'simple modification'.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:

As hnsq pointed out, the "thinking" comes when you take the technical knowledge you've learned and figure out how to apply it successfully to fix a problem. If you think that's easy, it's because you've never done it.

There is always a more or less normal distribution of talent within a pool of white collar workers. The worse ones tend to be in simpler functions that pay less, and they may be a greater risk of losing their jobs. The better ones are in higher paid positions, and they are less likely to go so ling as the enterprise is viable. This is nothing new.

And you damn well better believe that I expect to be paid a lot more than the UPS driver. My job requires a much greater investment in technical knowledge development, and it involves much greater risk and pressure when it comes to producing problem-solving output than his does. I could muxh more easily step into his job role than he could into mine.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:45 PM

I can't remember if I asked this yet or not. Just wondering what is in all those boxes or items that are being lifted? Could the guy lifting the item design and build it? Could the guy lifting the item come up with the idea for the item? Can the guy that lifts the item improve upon the item in any way? How about coming up with a better way of lifting the item up, is that possible?

If that is not the case then it would seem that without the person that comes up with the idea and implements it to create a product that has to be lifted, then their is no need for the person who would be employed to lift heavy items. I mean untill a product is actually produced then their is no one needed to do the heavy lifting.

I remember working one summer for a General Contractor. He was building a building. Someone else graded the lot, someone else laid the concrete, someone else did everything. In the end when the building was complete he was the one that everyone considered as having built the building. It was his name that they would go back to not anyone else.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:33 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,424,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The equations such as the ones I posted are used by top management consulting companies where the lowest paid employee makes over $250,000/year.

Anyone can do an equation. You get paid top dollar if you can actually apply those equations to a business. If you could take equations such as the ones I posted and apply them to an enterprise-wide problem, you could easily pull in half a million dollars per year. Read some of the white papers written by McKinsey & Company. The math will make your head spin. It is anything but 'simple modification'.
You missed my point, which is that thinking and applying alone won't get you anywhere, you have to be able to sell it. The high flying consultants at McK that you are talking about are nearly all front-end revenue generators, not back-end (who absolutely do not make $250k a year). The front-end consultants are the personable ones who deal with clients directly and have to convince their clients that their advice is worth listening and implementing. Why do you think they have such huge expense accounts?

A regular employee is not in a position to apply math equations to an "enterprise-wide problem" even if he knew exactly how to do it and had all the right ideas. Who would trust millions of dollars and the fate of a company to him with such decisions? Get where I'm going?

You get paid top dollar not from thinking alone, you make it by having someone else convinced that your ideas will make them a lot of money. And that is much harder in many ways than thinking, because so much of that is dependent on being at the right place at the right time and having the right tracking.

It's the same in law firms. The one who makes partner is the one who can woo in the most clients for the firm, and it's rarely the guy with the best ideas on the table nor the hardest worker. There is of course a correlation between being good at what you do and being successful at selling yourself, but few employees are even given an opportunity to demonstrate that in a way that will allow them to reach the top.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why are we continuing to take this thread off topic? Why can't you just leave my statement--that white collar "work" isn't work--as it is, without having to comment and have back and forth on it?
That would probably be because your statement is preposterous when taken from the perspective of the broader spectrum of existing value-added job tasks.

Last edited by ambient; 04-16-2011 at 04:04 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 06:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
You missed my point, which is that thinking and applying alone won't get you anywhere, you have to be able to sell it. The high flying consultants at McK that you are talking about are nearly all front-end revenue generators, not back-end (who absolutely do not make $250k a year). The front-end consultants are the personable ones who deal with clients directly and have to convince their clients that their advice is worth listening and implementing. Why do you think they have such huge expense accounts?

A regular employee is not in a position to apply math equations to an "enterprise-wide problem" even if he knew exactly how to do it and had all the right ideas. Who would trust millions of dollars and the fate of a company to him with such decisions? Get where I'm going?

You get paid top dollar not from thinking alone, you make it by having someone else convinced that your ideas will make them a lot of money. And that is much harder in many ways than thinking, because so much of that is dependent on being at the right place at the right time and having the right tracking.

It's the same in law firms. The one who makes partner is the one who can woo in the most clients for the firm, and it's rarely the guy with the best ideas on the table nor the hardest worker. There is of course a correlation between being good at what you do and being successful at selling yourself, but few employees are even given an opportunity to demonstrate that in a way that will allow them to reach the top.
No...you really don't understand. The back-end technical guys DO make $250k/yr. That was my point. That is why they are the best. They take the back end people and train them to be sell as well. If you can do the technical math and apply it to a wide range of businesses, you can easily make 200-400k/yr in your first year as a consultant, WITHOUT having any sort of people skills.

You are talking only about sales and marketing guys. That is an extremely narrow segment of a company. Are you telling me that demand planners, sourcing analysts or financial analysts (just to name a few) don't make six figures? Technical knowledge is very, very lucrative. If you want to 'sell it to the customer', go into sales, but that isn't the best way to make money.

Now obviously you have to be able to sell yourself to your company, so everyone is a salesman in that regard. But still, it is very ignorant to think technical knowledge doesn't generate high salaries.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 AM

I guess we can say that they both make more than the guy slinging boxes for a living. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment