Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 AM

629 posts, read 1,234,046 times

Advertisements

I sent this email to my manager's (I have 3) since I was turned down for a saturday off because 4 others already requested (and recieved) this day before me.

"OK that's fine. What is the earliest I can request for a day off. I was under the impression I could not request a day off too early in advanced.

Thank you."

A day later I recieved this email.

"Did you answer him? Due to how close he is to termination I want to make sure we don’t give him any reason to say we are not fair"

This was obviously not meant for me. I figure she replied by accident instead of forwarding it to the other manager. I've had previous conflict with this "new" management team. Comprised of all women who seem to favor the charming associates. Most of the complaints have been minor. I've been written up for talking (although I talk to my coworkers far less than the majoirty), Showing a picture of myself in the military (someone complained it was offensive) and for wearing part of a costume inside the building (I clocked out and I was leaving for the Halloween parade). I was told this was unprofessional behavior. I've been a machine (all work no play) for three months without any complaints. I thought I put my past actions behind me then I get this.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Nothing.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 AM

By the way. Manager came by my area and told me (with a smile) that I will recieve that Saturday off. I told her it wasn't necessary to change the schedule and that I just wanted to know for future reference. I guess everyone's a good actor here. She was clearly unaware she sent me the response.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Nothing.
Ok then how would you feel?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:18 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,055 times
That would be a warning to me to do my job and not do anything to tick off my boss and the others that I work with. I would do what you've been doing for 3 months and work hard and not ask off for any days. I would work my 8 hours without talking and go home.

I'm not quite sure why someone was offended by your military picture unless it was inappropriate. Make sure you're not doing anything or saying anything inappropriate. Also it seems that you don't like women bosses and it's probably showing in your body language and attitude.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Ok then how would you feel?
I think I misread your original post (not enough coffee yet). When you said "obviously this was not meant for me" I thought you meant that the accidental e-mail in question wasn't referencing you, and that you were not the one close to termination.

So do you think that they are talking about you?

Start looking for another job. Save the e-mail; you never know when it might come in handy (if they try to deny UI for instance). But then you'd have to prove that the e-mail was specific to you.

Personally I'd be tempted to send the e-mail back to her with some innocuous comment about how she's been sending correspondence to the wrong people and should be less careless but that's a decision that only you can make for yourself.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,955 times
Tough call. And tougher news, it definitely sounds like they want to let you go. I don't think there's any harm to replying politely: 'I believe you mistakenly sent this to me.' It's possible they get scared that you have in your possession a pretty sensitive email, (not to mention embarrassing to the reckless sender) and re-think the termination.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
By the way. Manager came by my area and told me (with a smile) that I will recieve that Saturday off. I told her it wasn't necessary to change the schedule and that I just wanted to know for future reference. I guess everyone's a good actor here. She was clearly unaware she sent me the response.
She realizes her mistake. That doesn't mean that you are off the chopping block.

You have two choices:

1) Look for another job. (It's possible that she intended for you to get that email so you would simply leave, saving them the hassle of coming up with a reason to fire you.)

2) Be a perfect employee and wait to be laid off. If you can't survive on unemployment, I don't recommend this option.

Quote:
So do you think that they are talking about you?

Start looking for another job. Save the e-mail; you never know when it might come in handy (if they try to deny UI for instance). But then you'd have to prove that the e-mail was specific to you.
It's obvious that the email was about him. It was a response to his email, which clearly showed below. She replied to "all" instead of taking the time to remove his name for the distribution list. But I agree he should print out a copy of that email and take it home. He might need that email to win unemployment.

Quote:
Personally I'd be tempted to send the e-mail back to her with some innocuous comment about how she's been sending correspondence to the wrong people and should be less careless but that's a decision that only you can make for yourself.
This is terrible advice. OP, don't do it.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Tough call. And tougher news, it definitely sounds like they want to let you go. I don't think there's any harm to replying politely: 'I believe you mistakenly sent this to me.' It's possible they get scared that you have in your possession a pretty sensitive email, (not to mention embarrassing to the reckless sender) and re-think the termination.
That's a more polite response. Definitely a safer way to go compared to Metlakatla's suggestion.

But if they want to get rid of you, there's really nothing stopping them if you live in an 'at will' state.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
That would be a warning to me to do my job and not do anything to tick off my boss and the others that I work with. I would do what you've been doing for 3 months and work hard and not ask off for any days. I would work my 8 hours without talking and go home.

I'm not quite sure why someone was offended by your military picture unless it was inappropriate. Make sure you're not doing anything or saying anything inappropriate. Also it seems that you don't like women bosses and it's probably showing in your body language and attitude.
Actually I work 10 hour days. I only requested off (my first time) because my girlfriends birthday is that day. My picture was me standing in uniform holding my weapon. The write said I was holding large weapons in a photo. Sounded like I was in a gang instead of fighting for my country. I have no problem with women managers as long as they treat everyone equal. HERE in my job the women treat the charismatic associates very different from the other (i wonder why). This is a job and performance should determine my level of employment. I treat everyone the same regardless of gender or position. I believe in equal treatement in the work enviornment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment