Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 PM

629 posts, read 1,234,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
After reading this whole thread, I'm beginning to understand why the managers think the way they do about the OP.

Seain has given you excellent advice as the other posters have on here. You continue to be combative and can not get past the actions of these 3 WOMEN managers. You somehow think you have power and are justified by it when you have another co-worker not only telling you to go to HR to get a manager fired but letting you think you might get a promotion out of it. Both of you are spinning your own wheels and not realistic at all of the situation.

Instead of thinking how you're going to continue doing a good job in hopes that nothing happens, I would continue doing a good job BUT I would definitely be looking for another job. The handwriting is on the wall and you're not taking advantage of it. You, luckily, have been warned and could work this in your favor by getting another job quickly and quit instead of being blindsided by getting fired.

I think it would please me if I found another job and was able to walk in to work with my 2 weeks notice and hand it to my manager to see the look of surprise on her face. That to me would be priceless.

Good luck to you in whatever you decided to do!
I love when poster pay attention but don't pay attention. I was only "combative" when someone assumed I was claiming I had the power to do anything when I clearly stated I did not. Your making the same assumption. Also I stated what my friend told me and clearly stated that I did not agree with it. I simply asked for an opinion on it. He also never said nor did I post that I was going to HR for the purpose of getting anyone fired so I'm not sure how you arrived on that conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I did elaborate more since I did post somewhat a vague statement. I'm not out to get you or be mean to you. I'm only thinking it would be priceless if you took some of the other posters advice and "socked it to them" with a 2 week notice after finding a better job. Wouldn't that make you feel so good and give you a sense of power instead of waiting to see what they are going to do?
Again this was said to me before and I never said I didn't agree with it. You simply assumed I didn't. I already said that I was looking for a new job. Thank you for paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,055 times
Ok, well, I hope you find a better job. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Kagami46, I understood immediately that you weren't fantasizing about getting them fired and instead were being realistic that your work environment would be more terrible if any managers were fired.

Not sure why people started attacking you for your simply acknowledging that going to HR wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe it's a full moon.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:47 AM

157 posts, read 504,834 times
Haven't read all the responses in the thread, but my first thought is that you would do well to keep quiet about getting the email while looking for another job. Forewarned is forearmed. Usually when they already have termination in mind, as is obviously the case here, it is just a matter of time. Best to use this as a heads up to give you time to get a new job.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
I already have my evidence gathered just in case. I spoke to a close friend and coworker of mine about it and he suggested I go to the out of state HR department (since the one here answers to the regional) and see what I can do. He said I can even get a raise out of this. Although I don't agree with his suggestion, what do you think about it?

I think even if I get what I want, having 3 angry managers out for my blood isn't a good idea. Especially if I get one of them fired.

Honestly-- the email was a mistake, poor class, whatever. But it is NOT wrongdoing. In one of your other posts you had mentioned that you had numerous write-ups

Quote:
My performance is not the issue here. I actually shifted my actions and became a boring person who doesn't talk to anyone which increased my performance greatly but makes my job feel empty. My performance was noticed by my coworkers but my managers continue to say they don't see improvement. I was even called a "poor performer" by my regional. Three months ago I was stressed and afraid for my job. Then 3 months of nothing ,then this. My write ups have already past the probation period and my slate is suppose to be clean. I see others with "actual" poor performance and they didn't get this treatement.
Honestly-- you may (or you may not) be performing at the level that they want. No one here on this message board knows. But if you have numerous performance warnings plus some of the personal work issues that were already mentioned (the picture of you with the gun that offended someone else), they do not feel you are a fit within the organization.

HR may do something to get you to shut up right about now-- but it will be only temporary and will not stave off the fact that they are just not into you. They don't like you, they don't like your performance, and they are wanting to get rid of you. Unless you work in a state that is not at will or unless you are bound by a contract, they are allowed to make that decision as to whether or not that they will keep you. They have obviously made the decision to not keep you.

You can perhaps prolong it, but why would you want to stay somewhere where every single step will be watched and all that they will do now is continue to create a paper trail so that when they do finally get rid of you you will not be able to contest the poor match?

Use your time far more productively. IN a way, you have been given a "gift." You thought in the past 3 months you no longer had to worry about your job-- you obviously do. A termination will no longer be coming out of left field-- you have the time and the emphasis to find something else and move on. Most people do not get that.

The only thing I would go to HR for is to perhaps leverage a lay off with severance since we are all obviously no longer a fit for each other. That would be MY only intention. I have known those who have done just that, but I will also caution that their skills were in demand and the 3-4 people I know about did not have to search for longer than 2-6 months to find new employment. Understand how easy or hard it will be to find a new job in your field-- and then make your decision accordingly.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 AM

629 posts, read 1,234,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Honestly-- the email was a mistake, poor class, whatever. But it is NOT wrongdoing. In one of your other posts you had mentioned that you had numerous write-ups

Honestly-- you may (or you may not) be performing at the level that they want. No one here on this message board knows. But if you have numerous performance warnings plus some of the personal work issues that were already mentioned (the picture of you with the gun that offended someone else), they do not feel you are a fit within the organization.

HR may do something to get you to shut up right about now-- but it will be only temporary and will not stave off the fact that they are just not into you. They don't like you, they don't like your performance, and they are wanting to get rid of you. Unless you work in a state that is not at will or unless you are bound by a contract, they are allowed to make that decision as to whether or not that they will keep you. They have obviously made the decision to not keep you.

You can perhaps prolong it, but why would you want to stay somewhere where every single step will be watched and all that they will do now is continue to create a paper trail so that when they do finally get rid of you you will not be able to contest the poor match?

Use your time far more productively. IN a way, you have been given a "gift." You thought in the past 3 months you no longer had to worry about your job-- you obviously do. A termination will no longer be coming out of left field-- you have the time and the emphasis to find something else and move on. Most people do not get that.

The only thing I would go to HR for is to perhaps leverage a lay off with severance since we are all obviously no longer a fit for each other. That would be MY only intention. I have known those who have done just that, but I will also caution that their skills were in demand and the 3-4 people I know about did not have to search for longer than 2-6 months to find new employment. Understand how easy or hard it will be to find a new job in your field-- and then make your decision accordingly.
Let clear this up. I received 2 written notices 3 months apart. No warning not even a word that something was wrong. Just bam here's a write up for something you did a month ago. I asked why I never received a warning and received no answer. I understand a writeup if I'm repeatedly asked to change my behavior and ignore it, but to never have had any notice that anything was wrong (at work we all act the same without a problem) just to receive a questionable write up a month later is fishy. My second write up happened the same way. No word for a month then, here's your write up, tell us what happened, no it didn't happen that way, this is how it happened, here's your write up. That's how they approach it with me. I told them it wasn't necessary to take such steps for something that can be easily adjusted but they obviously did. Finally the picture I had I was not "showing off" I was viewing my own pictures on my camera to see what I should work on when I get home (I like to do graphic design as a hobbie). It was my lunch break and a few coworkers had asked about my army pics. They were interested so I told them about how it was. A month later I'm written up. On paper, I displayed big guns in pictures. I mean really? A written notice a month later? Telling me the next day would've insured I never do anything personal at work even during my breaks. No talking, no nothing just chew my food and go back to work like a drone.

Last edited by Kagami46; 04-10-2011 at 07:08 AM..

Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
OP,

I would follow everyone else's advise and look for a new job. Getting fired is going to happen.

Also, you probably won't want to hear this, but you may not have heard anything in the last 3 months because they have given up. I have seen it happen. Bosses stopped correcting one employee because they thought that they weren't being heard and their ideas weren't being respected. They were just waiting to fire him when it was a good time for the company. This may be what's happening to you.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
It might be time to request a meeting with your supervisor to humbly ask how well your performance is being received and if there are areas in which they would like to see improvement.

You sound as if you are not quite sure why they are dissatisfied- it's time to find out so you don't make the same mistakes at your next job.

PS Look very hard now for a next job.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
It might be time to request a meeting with your supervisor to humbly ask how well your performance is being received and if there are areas in which they would like to see improvement.

You sound as if you are not quite sure why they are dissatisfied- it's time to find out so you don't make the same mistakes at your next job.

PS Look very hard now for a next job.

I don't think this is bad advice.

The thing with message boards is that we hear one side of the story. I have rarely worked at places where management is COMPLETELY unreasonable. I worked with a lady I used to refer to as Frau Hitler-- but even then I was pretty certain that I would not be getting fired-- she was just a horribly aggressive manager and it was fairly easy to know where you stood-- (if you were late 2 minutes, you would be written up regardless if you were in a car accident or if your car would not start-- it was pretty obvious).

I stated and quoted what the poster had originally wrote-- and then the OP responded with the reasons why those things happened. If taken at face value- yeah it seems like management is completely unreasonable, but there is also a chance that the OP has no clue what is really annoying management or where his performance is just not up to their expectations. The only way to find out is to have a dialogue.

I tend to be pretty skeptical-- I have been on both sides of the management spectrum. I have had employees who no matter how much coaching was done they were still shocked that they were not the hero at review time. They had a complete inability to actually see the reality of their performance. Thank God-- those types tended to be the ones in smaller supply.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
You could reply to all and answer the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment