Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

student 101:"I know things will get better, but I'm having a hard time coping with the 'right now'."

I assume your present job does not require a degree, therefore, the right now is simply for living expenses, but what you are being educated in is more important. Dwell on the bright future, not the sustainence present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:01 PM

225 posts, read 1,115,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_101 View Post
I cry everyday on my way to work. It has affected every part of my life. The stress of layoffs have hit everyone, you can't trust anyone and I just sit there all day and hope no one talks to me. I used to love my job, but everything has changed. The company has changed. I dread going in everyday, to the point that I cry. I still have 4 weeks until I find out if I got the layoff I put in for. If I don't get it, I'll be devestated. How do you deal with a work enviroment that is no longer good. You can feel the tension in everyone the second you open the door. I'm miserable. How do I get through these 4 weeks?
Don't feel alone, there are many in your situation. Look for a job and get out as soon as possible. My stomach is upset every morning on the way in and I can't wait to get out at night. I don't sleep at night thinking about going back next morning. My coworkers are bailing and I am right behind them.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
I can so relate-I went to college too a tad late-graduated at 35-but dang if I didn't do it! Having a family and all-you do feel like you've got to keep this job-no matter if your sanity is about to go. I would rather hit a tree than deal with this place daily. There is no work environment-it's all about them and what's in it for them. I get threatened once or more a week that this department is going to get shut down and given to people in another part of the state that will work. I was told that if I didn't bring enough money in during my 6 month probation(medical collections) I will terminated. I have no clue what I've done. My date is up on April 18th. And I am sick to my stomach-every night I am diving into Tums because my stomach is always upset. Even though I hate this job with every ounce of my being-I am forced to stay because we have no other income right now-although hubby does have 1 job lined up for Saturday-first one of the new year. I've been dealing with knowing I am making less than I did when I was 21($10hr)-no degree at the time and I drove a school bus. This whole new world has got to be the worst I've ever seen in all my years. I've never been without health insurance-in all my married life. I wonder why I am being punished daily-what is it that I did that God felt that I needed to deal with this. There is no easy answer-but go job hunting-I've not stopped since the day I walked through this guys door. Be persistent. Don't give up-we all have to think there's something better out there.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Thumbs up Why are you waiting...

Quote:
I cry everyday on my way to work. It has affected every part of my life. The stress of layoffs have hit everyone, you can't trust anyone and I just sit there all day and hope no one talks to me. I used to love my job, but everything has changed. The company has changed. I dread going in everyday, to the point that I cry. I still have 4 weeks until I find out if I got the layoff I put in for. If I don't get it, I'll be devestated. How do you deal with a work enviroment that is no longer good. You can feel the tension in everyone the second you open the door. I'm miserable. How do I get through these 4 weeks?
around to find out if you are getting layed off or not? Why not use this time constructivly by actively seeking other employment? I've never in all my life heard of people 'applying' to be laid off. Stop crying and be pro-active for yourself. To hell w/this company! Honey, it's all about you. You deserve better!
Koale

Old 04-10-2011, 09:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:

Most healthy people do not cry on the way to work every day.
Perhaps you need to see a mental health professional.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Most healthy people do not cry on the way to work every day.
Perhaps you need to see a mental health professional.
Hey, it beats diving into a bottle, or a drug, or overeating to the point of obesity, or sex addiction or a lot of other things.

Crying is ok. It's a natural way to deal with sadness.

And seeing a mental health professional never hurts, but that doesn't change the reality that the US is sunk and the old days are gone.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
the reality that the US is sunk and the old days are gone.
The US isn't sunk.
This is a bump in the road.
For most people, the economic recession isn't the worst thing that can happen to them (health problems, family problems, etc)

Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Only third world countries put profits before people the way America does. It really is pathetic.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Only third world countries put profits before people the way America does. It really is pathetic.
You're the benefecator of those profits, Mr. Mutual Fund Owner.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:38 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Uh, what? You put in for a lay off?

How are you still stressing if that's the case. I mean you're sole responsibility is to not screw up so badly that you can be denied unemployment benefits, right? Sounds like a blast. Go in, shoot the breeze and pretend to work. How is it even possible to stress about being laid off when are asking to be? Or do I just understand what you mean by "put in"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment