Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,195 times

Advertisements

what about just applying for an entry-level job? because thats why i've been volunteering, i'm trying to get an entry-level job

Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 PM

since Volunteering helps you, do you have to Volunteer specifically at a place that is similiar to the type of job you are looking for? for example, if you want to get hired at a Pet Store, is volunteering at a Dog or Cat Shelter the place recommended you volunteer at? or work is work? doesn't matter where you volunteer at?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
since Volunteering helps you, do you have to Volunteer specifically at a place that is similiar to the type of job you are looking for? for example, if you want to get hired at a Pet Store, is volunteering at a Dog or Cat Shelter the place recommended you volunteer at? or work is work? doesn't matter where you volunteer at?
now you know the answer to that question. If someone wanted to stay sharp at accounting would they volunteer to MOP floors?????????????????-lol

Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
now you know the answer to that question. If someone wanted to stay sharp at accounting would they volunteer to MOP floors?????????????????-lol
i think it's stupid that employers want you to have experience but how do you get experience if they won't give you a chance? that is more than unfair, that is not right

Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
i think it's stupid that employers want you to have experience but how do you get experience if they won't give you a chance? that is more than unfair, that is not right

Well you got to figure it out, my cousin was unemployed for 5 months and during that time she volunteered to handle the accounting duties at her church.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 AM

18 posts, read 52,803 times
Default It takes networking........

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Okay I graduated from college(like that matters now a days) about 8 months ago, and even though I have done internships in my field, I can't find a job because when I look at job descriptions even for entry level they want you to have 3-8 years experience..
like where the hell am i suppose to get that?
like i know i can do a job, if was given a chance but i can't get a chance with out chances..

anyone else experiencing this?
and another thing, is the internet the only way to find a job?! i mean the newspaper of course (which i rarely work in my major/close to it anyway) but what are other ways...or am i slave to the net forever?
I know you are frustrated but there are many resources you can tap into. First make yourself an action plan, stick to it and create an attitude of success, not defeat. I believe wholeheartedly that we attract to us what our 'energy' puts out.

1. Find as many ways as you can to network within your industry.
2. Volunteer for trade associations including their events/meetings giving you great exposure to key people. Your goal should be to meet 4-5 key people at each event and keep in contact with them.
3. Talk to your college career center to see if they have contacts within the community that can help you. TALK to the professors at the college too. I can't tell you how many key contacts I found this way. Most career centers help students and graduates practice their interview skills. This should also include ways of getting your foot into the door of a company even if you do not currently have the experience.
4. Start a blog about topics within your industry ! Its a great way to develop online and offline exposure. Keep it squeaky clean and not overly opinionated or offensive to anyone.
5. Continue to take classes and go to seminars in topics that will help you. Make yourself meet X number of people at each seminar you go to. Give them a business card (yes, you need one). Take their card and keep in contact with them every month or so (send them an article you think they'd be interested in or something so they remember you

Become that person any company would be excited to hire!

I've gotta run but I hope that helps.....

Oh, I forgot, the best way to find a job (like someone already mentioned) is through contacts. However, another way is to find key people at the companies you want to work in and call them. Yes, call them. Not in pursuit of a job, initially, but to ask if you could interview them. It could be for your new blog, or just to determine if they enjoy their job/industry...then if you get in to see them, ask at the end of the interview how they recruit and if they have any tips for you .... The key is finding key contacts and developing a trusting, communicative relationship with them.

Good Luck

JP

Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Well you got to figure it out, my cousin was unemployed for 5 months and during that time she volunteered to handle the accounting duties at her church.
Seriously, why are employers so damn picky and choosy on who they hire, give interviews too? even retail, customer-service jobs, movie theaters, grocery stores are like that too, seriously, has it always been like this? or has it been this like since the Recession started near the end of George Bush's final term in office?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Seriously, why are employers so damn picky and choosy on who they hire, give interviews too? even retail, customer-service jobs, movie theaters, grocery stores are like that too, seriously, has it always been like this? or has it been this like since the Recession started near the end of George Bush's final term in office?

Job like retail and movie theaters are not easy to get because they low paying. You still have to know somebody to get hired. My cousin only got a job at Mcdonald's because her father worked there-lol

Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Job like retail and movie theaters are not easy to get because they low paying. You still have to know somebody to get hired. My cousin only got a job at Mcdonald's because her father worked there-lol
so the phrase, saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know", so in order to get a job, get hired somewhere you have to know somebody that works there, like a friend or relative? well i'm still volunteering, taking charge for my life, so it's not like i sit around and complain, i'm actually doing something

Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 PM
FBJ

Quote:
so the phrase, saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know", so in order to get a job, get hired somewhere you have to know somebody that works there, like a friend or relative? well i'm still volunteering, taking charge for my life, so it's not like i sit around and complain, i'm actually doing something

Yup, people think just because it's a fast food restaraunt they will automacially get hired but you still have to know people most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment