Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM

392 posts, read 704,364 times

Advertisements

Would people work for free in their chosen profession?
Why is volunteering offered as a resume-building "solution" but being working for free is not?
What better resume builder is there than that?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
yeah there is always a first time for everthing in life, how do you expect to gain experience if nobody will give you a chance?
Volunteer.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Would people work for free in their chosen profession?
Why is volunteering offered as a resume-building "solution" but being working for free is not?
What better resume builder is there than that?
Blame that one on labor laws.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM

417 posts, read 825,147 times
Does volunteering in anything really aid on to gain experience in a specific field? I can't imagine helping out at at Habitat for Humanity would make much headway in a job ad asking for 2-3 years of experience of social work. lol. The point being, while you should volunteer (it helps no doubt...), you should also attempt to be selective. At least that's my take on the matter. After all, there is no insurance you'll make connections. Nice to have something remotely relevant you can tie into your profession to...the latter volunteer work is much harder to find than any volunteer work.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
Does volunteering in anything really aid on to gain experience in a specific field? I can't imagine helping out at at Habitat for Humanity would make much headway in a job ad asking for 2-3 years of experience of social work. lol. The point being, while you should volunteer (it helps no doubt...), you should also attempt to be selective. At least that's my take on the matter. After all, there is no insurance you'll make connections. Nice to have something remotely relevant you can tie into your profession to...the latter volunteer work is much harder to find than any volunteer work.
Ah, but you are looking at it wrong.

As an employer, I can call a volunteer coordinator at an organization and find out that the person I'm interested in hiring showed up when they said they would, was a team player, and was polite with other volunteers/staff/clients.

I can find out if they tackled less desirable or more difficult tasks with a great attitude, if they offered suggestions on streamlining processes, if they had the ability to look at the big picture.

Bottom line, I can find out if they have common sense and a good sense of purpose, if they are self-motivated and if they needed a lot of hand-holding or if they could take a task and run with it.

And as a Habitat volunteer, I can tell you that it's not all about building houses. There are people who volunteer in fundraising, community relations, legal affairs, accounting, I/T, family selection, and family nurturing. The latter two would be perfect for someone seeking a career in social work.

Those committees read through applications and meet with the prospective homeowners to select who would be a good fit for the program, and then work with the homeowner to make sure they complete all their classes (budgeting, home ownership, etc.) and sweat equity. It's very much part social work.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Most of those jobs meant for High School grads and College students sadly went to India and China. The companies that don't want to outsource ends up cutting jobs and causing lots of people to be out of work. Other companies that could afford to hire knows that alot of people are looking for work, and want those that has the right experience or the abilities.

Now, the youth are thrown in this you look for work but don't have experience and remain unemployed loop.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Most of those jobs meant for High School grads and College students sadly went to India and China. The companies that don't want to outsource ends up cutting jobs and causing lots of people to be out of work. Other companies that could afford to hire knows that alot of people are looking for work, and want those that has the right experience or the abilities.

Now, the youth are thrown in this you look for work but don't have experience and remain unemployed loop.

Dont be so upset, people in their late twenties to mid thirties, who probably normally would have been in middle management, are taking all those entry level jobs the college kids used to get.

I dont know what was more disheartening, being laid off from a respectable job, or taking a temporary job I could have done in high school as a replacement.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Volunteer.
i've done my share of that

Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Volunteer.
I'm sorry. But volunteering does not pay back my student loans.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I know plenty of companies around here that are willing to hire folks with no experience. The pay is around $12/hr to start, raises based on performance, good benefits and good opportunity for overtime. Never see anyone lining up for these jobs. Granted, starting wages used to be around $14/hr 10 years ago, but things are very competitive right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment