Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:38 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,899,609 times

Advertisements

I would line up a part-time job doing counseling or working with animals then I would give my current company a month's notice so they have time to replace me. I wouldn't tell anyone about my winnings and would just go on living as I do. I would buy a house in a nice middle-class area and would pay off some debts.

I would also start up a business or get a franchise.

And of course travel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:00 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
I would give a one-month notice and buy a lot of lunches for my fellow employees.

I don't understand people who would just keep working. Freed from work, I would indulge in many hobbies and travel extensively.
Studies have shown that life is a lot more fulfilling if you work. The idea of taking a vacation for the rest of your life may sound like a good idea now, but it will get old fast and will depress you. I have personally seen this happen several times.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:54 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Studies have shown that life is a lot more fulfilling if you work. The idea of taking a vacation for the rest of your life may sound like a good idea now, but it will get old fast and will depress you. I have personally seen this happen several times.
Work doesn't necessarily have to be what many people consider work, a 9-5 job at some corporate office or doing some manual labor job clocking in and out everyday. Notice the OP said hobbies and travel. A hobby can take up a lot of your time and you can do these things because you no longer are stressed about making money doing things you don't necessarily get a joy out of doing. A hobby can be work, basically.

Just because you no longer have to work a 'traditional' job due to necessity, that doesn't mean you can't find meaningful and fulfilling things to do on a permanent vacation. You can volunteer to teach people, you can volunteer for charities, you can help the poor, etc. That is work by any definition, but you do things like that because you enjoy doing it, not because you have to. Being on permanent 'vacation' doesn't mean sitting at some dive bar in a third world country drinking yourself to death for the rest of your life.

I love to travel. If I won the lotto, my work would be setting up my own travel blog and youtube videos. Not because I want any publicity or money, but because it's something I love to do and would fill up a lot of my time.

The list is endless.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,403,930 times
I'd say "good morning." I like my job and coworkers and I'm too young to retire. Hobbies are fine, but a life without a sense of purpose or urgency sounds awfully dull.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:42 PM

212 posts, read 335,655 times
I enjoy the people I work with and my company has always treated me with respect. I would show them the same respect. It would be likely that most would know about the windfall, and I would certainly offer to stick around as long as they needed me to help transition my role to a new person.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:53 PM

581 posts, read 456,677 times
I'd put in two weeks notice because I wouldn't want to leave my co-workers in the lurch, but there's no way in hell I'd stay in the rat race if I won 10 mil or more. Working sucks. I'd volunteer and take up hobbies if money were no issue.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:35 PM

285 posts, read 225,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I'd say "good morning." I like my job and coworkers and I'm too young to retire. Hobbies are fine, but a life without a sense of purpose or urgency sounds awfully dull.
I think shuffling papers in a cubicle is awfully dull.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 AM

806 posts, read 877,617 times
I would say " goodbye " . That's all they need to know .

Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
I often fantasize about telling my employers where they can go when I feel helpless. I would not do or say anything because I am now more powerful than they are. There is no fear. I have a good work ethic so I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability most days.

It is nice to work to keep busy instead of surviving.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:23 PM

206 posts, read 154,476 times
Nothing. It is neutral between us. I'd probably keep working there until I decided I was sick of it or they were done with me. Then I'd move on to whatever was next in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment