Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 09:06 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times

Advertisements

I would be totally worthless on my job, get fired and collect unemployment for 6 months then live off lottery money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 09:09 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,999,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I would use two vacation days and take a limo to Harrisburg to verify. Then I'd go in, tell my boss I'm quitting, get my paperwork together and thank them for the opportunity. I have no beef with my employer or management.
I would throw a big party and help out a couple guys who I know need it.
I like your attitude !

As I said, if it was a huge lottery ( like last night) I doubt your boss would expect you to work after winning that much.

Imagine what a distraction you would become at your work place if you showed up everyday to fulfill your 2 week's notice.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I would be totally worthless on my job, get fired and collect unemployment for 6 months then live off lottery money

There actually was a woman on welfare who won a big lottery but insisted on continuing to draw welfare.

It turns out, Michigan had to pass a law that forbid it because there was a loophole that allowed her to stay on welfare.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:51 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
A 2 second notice.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:16 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
So people honestly think it's an intelligent thing to do to tell so many people who've won?
I know they may not care, and their state may not let them stay anonymous. That's a separate issue from whether it's smart to broadcast the win.

Or do they not care about being smart about how to handle this kind of thing?

Old 09-18-2016, 11:46 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Do any of you actually have a clue about how the lottery works ?

In the majority of states your name is made public whether you like it or not.

You have no choice in the matter !

I'm rather surprised at that, what's in it for the State?
The only thing I can think of is, the more people that hear about a big win, the more tickets that then get sold.
In the U.K., you can come forward, or you can opt for complete anonymity.
Financial commentators say that coming forward is best, as you'll get financial advice from Camelot, who run the lottery.
If you keep it quiet, you have to do all that yourself, and hope that you get it right.
Please God I get the opportunity to decide on telling the world, or keeping my trap shut.
The only thought that I've ever had, was that if I hit it big, I'd give a reasonable chunk of change to the heads of the families of my relatives, and let them decide how to distribute it to their kids/grandkids.
I've spent so much time in the U.S. that if I could do it, I'd buy a nice house halfway between Sarasota FL and Port St. Lucie FL, maybe around Lake Placid, and legally spend October to March there, buy another mini Downton Abbey, but perhaps only 2 storey, but with a gated driveway, in west Kent, maybe West Sussex, and spend April to September there, keeping the 3 storey town house on the river near Tower Bridge, where I live now, in case I, or friends or relations, wanted a few days in London.

Last edited by Jean-Francois; 09-18-2016 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Removed comma

Old 09-18-2016, 12:50 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I wouldn't leave.

I work for a small company, I know everyone and I wouldn"t hesitate to make everyone's life better.

How much I would give would depend on how much I want but if the amount was large, say $50 million after tax, I'd share my good fortune giving everyone $500k and hold the Christmas party of all Christmas parties.
Don't forget that no good deed goes unpunished.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I'm rather surprised at that, what's in it for the State?
The only thing I can think of is, the more people that hear about a big win, the more tickets that then get sold.
In the U.K., you can come forward, or you can opt for complete anonymity.
Financial commentators say that coming forward is best, as you'll get financial advice from Camelot, who run the lottery.
If you keep it quiet, you have to do all that yourself, and hope that you get it right.
Please God I get the opportunity to decide on telling the world, or keeping my trap shut.
The only thought that I've ever had, was that if I hit it big, I'd give a reasonable chunk of change to the heads of the families of my relatives, and let them decide how to distribute it to their kids/grandkids.
I've spent so much time in the U.S. that if I could do it, I'd buy a nice house halfway between Sarasota FL and Port St. Lucie FL, maybe around Lake Placid, and legally spend October to March there, buy another mini Downton Abbey, but perhaps only 2 storey, but with a gated driveway, in west Kent, maybe West Sussex, and spend April to September there, keeping the 3 storey town house on the river near Tower Bridge, where I live now, in case I, or friends or relations, wanted a few days in London.
Your 2nd sentence was the correct answer to your first sentence.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:50 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
I don't know if I would quit my job. I only work two days a week and I like my job. I'm only working to relieve the boredom I was feeling.

However I would have fun with my winnings! New house, pay off my oldest son's student loan, pay off both my kids' cars, buy my mother a beautiful condo and a new car, have a mini facelift, give lots to charity, start my own animal shelter maybe even travel to Italy, France and England (and definitely visit Highclere Castle). Yes it would be fun.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:04 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I like your attitude !

As I said, if it was a huge lottery ( like last night) I doubt your boss would expect you to work after winning that much.

Imagine what a distraction you would become at your work place if you showed up everyday to fulfill your 2 week's notice.
Thank you. Yeah, it would kind of be an a-hole thing to do to come in every day for the next two weeks. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment