Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,457 times

Advertisements

I actually have a great boss and would probably award her some of my winnings, depending on how much I got. I'd probably give to my co-worker as well. I actually think I would stay at my job, since I enjoy it. I'd just worry less about bills. I would definitely take more vacations too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I actually think I would stay at my job, since I enjoy it. I'd just worry less about bills. I would definitely take more vacations too.
I have to admit I do not understand this frequent set of words from people discussing winning huge amounts of money.

Take the two main US lotteries right now - Powerball and Megamillions. The Powerball cash lump sum pre-tax prize is $162 million. The Megamillions cash lump sum pre-tax prize is $67 million.

Let's assume Federal tax is 39% and your state tax is 10%; that is, let's assume your tax hit is 49% - let's say 50% just for kicks.

That means you get to KEEP about $81 million with the Powerball prize and about $33 million with the Megamillions prize.

If you put that cash into a mattress, you can spend a million dollars a year with the Powerball proceeds for 80+ years or a million per year with the Megamillions for 30+ years and not run out of money.

But let's say you get crazy and put all the money into US Treasuries - say 30-year Treasuries. Today that would get you about 3.67% per year ROI.

For the Powerball, that means you're pulling in a pre-tax $3+ million per year and for the Megamillions you're pulling in pre-tax more than a million per year.

And ALL the original prize is available for your heirs - not a penny spent (until inheritance tax, of course).

Why would anyone continue to dedicate their life to any work environment under such a situation? That totally perplexes me. I can think of both selfish and totally-nonselfish things to do with the time left in my life that have nothing to do with employment...

Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Nothing at all, not until the money was safely in my account.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
I wouldnt tell my boss how I felt about her, instead Id talk to HR about her and how she has caused two people to quit already. Then I would poop in her chair.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
I have to admit I do not understand this frequent set of words from people discussing winning huge amounts of money.

Take the two main US lotteries right now - Powerball and Megamillions. The Powerball cash lump sum pre-tax prize is $162 million. The Megamillions cash lump sum pre-tax prize is $67 million.

Let's assume Federal tax is 39% and your state tax is 10%; that is, let's assume your tax hit is 49% - let's say 50% just for kicks.

That means you get to KEEP about $81 million with the Powerball prize and about $33 million with the Megamillions prize.

If you put that cash into a mattress, you can spend a million dollars a year with the Powerball proceeds for 80+ years or a million per year with the Megamillions for 30+ years and not run out of money.

But let's say you get crazy and put all the money into US Treasuries - say 30-year Treasuries. Today that would get you about 3.67% per year ROI.

For the Powerball, that means you're pulling in a pre-tax $3+ million per year and for the Megamillions you're pulling in pre-tax more than a million per year.

And ALL the original prize is available for your heirs - not a penny spent (until inheritance tax, of course).

Why would anyone continue to dedicate their life to any work environment under such a situation? That totally perplexes me. I can think of both selfish and totally-nonselfish things to do with the time left in my life that have nothing to do with employment...
What's wrong with enjoying my job? I personally do not want to sit around on top of piles of cash all day and spend it on things. I've come to realize that people in my life are more important than things.

Yes, I would take time to do things, since I have the cash flow to do so. But I would get bored. When my mother passed, she left a good amount of money and I bought things and. I was going stir crazy from it, I needed an environment that allowed me to be productive.

I think you are also contradicting yourself a little bit. You're saying save the money and invest it, but at the same time what am I suppose to live on if I am putting toward my heirs?

I don't plan to pee my money away, which is what some lottery winners end up doing. I plan to pay off all the big things (the house, student loans, etc), but I don't plan to go around buying million dollar homes.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:23 AM

624 posts, read 763,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"Pizza is on me, enjoy! Cya!"
LOL

You are a classy guy

Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
You're saying save the money and invest it, but at the same time what am I suppose to live on if I am putting toward my heirs?
Uh...$3 million per year for Powerball ROI, $1+ million per year for Megamillions ROI - and that's if you haven't (correctly) hired the Knowledgable Financial Firm that knows how to get huge returns in Cayman Island accounts.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Uh...$3 million per year for Powerball ROI, $1+ million per year for Megamillions ROI - and that's if you haven't (correctly) hired the Knowledgable Financial Firm that knows how to get huge returns in Cayman Island accounts.
I actually do know someone who'd be able to do that, the SO's best friend is a tax lawyer in Manhattan. Gets paid a ridiculous amounts of money to hide money.

As stated, I plan to vacation and go to the places I always wanted to go but continue to work. I will enjoy my new fortune for a while of course, but I do not want to become a person who buys things and then sits around with their thumb up their butt all day.

Same thing for my kids, when I have them. I'm stealing this directly from a movie but if I happen to come into some sort of money, I'm giving my children enough money to do something but not enough to do nothing.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:43 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,642,353 times
Once it was safely in my bank account, I'd grab my briefcase and purse, leave my office keys on the desk and hightail it for the lobby without a word to anyone. I'd call the managing partner from my car and say "Sorry, I resign effective immediately, keys on desk. buh-bye!" Okay, actually, I'd have to be professional about it - I'd wait until they found a replacement, buy gifts for the colleagues I actually enjoyed working with, give a big chunk to my daughter, other family members, friends and a few charities, and live the good life squirreled away up in the mountains with hubby (and dogs).

Old 02-11-2014, 12:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Nothing. I would throw away my cell. Mail in my badge and keys. I would not even clean out my desk.

Disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment