Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 04:58 PM

483 posts, read 691,949 times

Advertisements

Dancing and singing, shooting middle fingers in the air like Yosemite Sam's pistols, singing "I quit! I quit!"...

That said, I wouldn't be in a hurry. I'd be working out whatever provisions I could take for anonymity in NYS, and also a team of financial advisors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 05:53 PM

133 posts, read 162,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
What would you do?
What would I do if I won a lottery significant enough that I could retire now?

1.) I would say and do nothing out of the ordinary until I made 100% sure my winnings were secured.

2.) I would not do anything until I received the first payment and/or cash sum.

3.) I would politely put in my two weeks notice and do everything I could to ensure that I left in a professional manner while making the best impression possible.

Winning big lottery jackpots usually end in horrible misery. The stories of jackpot winners having their lives ruined are legendary. It often destroys marriages and has you ostracized from your family. I would strongly suggest any lotto winners do EVERYTHING THEY CAN to not burn a bridge, because you never know if you'll need to cross it again. I've never burned a bridge in my life. Karma is a real thing - people that burn bridges often are doomed to failure because they have a loser's attitude. Yes, not being able to control your emotions and lashing out at others, even if it is well-deserved, is a loser's attitude. Winners exercise self-control and professionalism, even against their will.

That being said, if you DO find yourself winning a big jackpot, take the annuity. You'll have everyone you've ever known coming after you for money, and taking the annuity ensures you won't have a gigantic cash sum to hand out. People will try and rob you and take advantage of you. You'll lose many of those checks. You want them to keep coming in. You'll probably need them later in life after the first 1,000 mistakes you'll make as a newfound millionaire that can't manage your wealth.

Don't give anyone money. You can take them out to dinner, you can pay off their mortgage, but don't hand anyone cash.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
I love my job, but I would be out of there if I won enough money, more things to do in life than go to work.

They have been real good to me, so I would not ditch them right away, I would just stay on until my replacement is up to speed, and even offer consulting service as things pop up.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:55 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,907 times
I wouldn't be showing up the next day..

Old 09-16-2016, 09:16 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
I'm self-employed. I don't think I'd stop working altogether, but I would hire someone to do the work I'm currently doing so I could focus on the things I want to be doing.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,535 times
I'd put in a two weeks notice, and work the two weeks.

After that, It would be a return to the music world for me - form a band, and tour everywhere - Only without having to worry about pesky bills and such!

Old 09-16-2016, 10:34 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
Quote:
Now, are there any bosses who would expect you to give 2 weeks notice and continue coming into work every day for at least 2 weeks ?

Get real !
If you win the really big bucks you should tell as few people as possible.
So a boss shouldn’t even be one of the people you tell WHY you’re leaving.
Therefore, the issue of my boss “considering me an idiot if you won tens of millions” is mute because he wouldn’t KNOW I “won tens of millions.”
All he’d know is I came back from vacation and had to give two weeks resignation notice.
If he asked why: it’s a personal matter in the immediate family that has come up and I need to devote some time to that.”

One reason people get themselves into trouble with all the attention they garner is they tell too many people.
And my boss is not on my “need to know” list.

I shake my head at the decisions of some people….. just one example is those who come forward the next day after winning 300 million dollars. They can’t possibly have done all the moves they need to, to get things in order so they’re NOT pestered, or so they can handle the win in the best least public, most advantageous way possible. But that’s on them…whatever…. At least they’ll be able to afford the extra security they and the kids and grandkids may need.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:39 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I actually think your boss would laugh an consider you an idiot if you won tens of millions and gave 2 weeks notice and continued working.
That depends. In a small company there may be no one available and trained to move into your position. If I had been treated decently as an employee I would give notice ( or as I said in another post buy the company).

Old 09-16-2016, 11:53 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,253,346 times
How would I leave my job if I won the lottery? As in hundreds of millions of dollars? If I hit a win that big, I might have a heart attack. Then I might leave my job in an ambulance.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:18 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
By helicopter, from their front lawn, as a marching band played "Take This Job and Shove It!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment