Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 04:23 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Why?…. when I could win AND stay anonymous. There are plenty of winners of jackpots that we don't know about. I could retire of off some of the secondary jackpots, and certainly we never hear of those winners.

The first minimum jackpot AFTER a win is what one mill, 2 mill 10 mill. I don't even know. But someone has won those amounts and have you ever heard anything about them? And that's more than enough to quit my job over.

As a matter of fact I'd RATHER win the minimum after a big 300 mill jackpot. So many people will be looking for THAT winner. I could claim my prize under the radar just as plenty of people do every day….

WRONG !

Those secondary winners' names and towns are made public in most states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 04:26 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
I talk about this topic quite regularly w/ my SO! In fact, I'm working a new job right now that I'm thinking of quitting.

I'D QUIT FOR SURE!!! I'm a low profile person who hates attention on myself, so I wouldn't say I won the lotto, but I'd do all the proper resigning procedures, such as giving the 2-wks notice (if they required it) & just leave w/ zero fanfare. I'd walk to my car on my last day to drive off & not even look back (I mean I literally WON'T turn my head back around to give the place one last look), no matter how long I have been working at a place. I'd probably never work ANY job again...just travel the world, do what I enjoy, & have contentment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
You guys must love your jobs.. I absolutely HATED mine - and practically everyone I worked with...
I personally wouldn't say I hate everyone I work w/, but there's definitely no love lost whatsoever!

Old 09-17-2016, 08:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I would work until I have the money... If it's not in my hand, it didn't happen...

Old 09-17-2016, 10:06 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
i would build me a new house about six hours away from where i am, get it totally done move in and everything, and not tell a single sole not even the outer family.

then one day go in, complain about the coffee being cold, dammit i quit , walk outside, hop in truck and make the six hour drive and never return. they be going to the old house, looking for me, might even bulldoze the old house

and i dont even drink coffee

Old 09-17-2016, 11:00 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
I would leave as quietly and politely as possible and do everything I could so that as few people as possible knew about my windfall.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:09 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
I used to fantasize about what I would do if I won the lottery - I have retired since then, sadly without the lottery dream but here goes...

I worked at night and the first contact the staff would have in the morning would be me, so I would be wearing a clown suit, makeup and everything, when they arrived. I would act any different or address the fact that I am a clown either - I would just let things escalate on their own and just keep doing my job until they kicked me out. And then I'd walk to the top of the stairs, almost at the street, bend over and give them a nice clown moon...

The other one I had was I would be at work, checking my ticket - or scratch off a million dollar amount - and mid-sentence, no matter what was going on... I would just walk out the door - hopefully as a stuporviser is yelling at me, trying to get my attention. I'd just ignore everything and walk away - then I'd clear out my retirement account and go crazy until my lottery money arrives...

If I win now, I might be off the job but I'll go back just to annoy them... or maybe not.

What would you do?
Yes...I'd travel and start some businesses and or invest it in something.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:50 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
If I was no longer working, I'd still be a steady patron of the business, so there would be no avoiding the other employees. I doubt they could find anyone to do all the things I've done, at the odd hours I sometimes have to do them. There'd have to be two or three new people hired. But I'd probably give free instructions and even do some of the difficult tasks pro bono, since I'd be there almost daily.

The first thing I'd do after a big lottery win, would be to rent an apartment in the next city over and change my official address to there. Driver's license, and other such things that might lead someone to me, would be changed. Then, I'd cash the ticket and collect the money. Immediately, I'd cancel my new residence and change everything back to what it was before, never having actually moved anyway. Always having used my middle name, except for official things, would further disrupt any attempts by con-artists to find me.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:38 AM

Last night's drawing.........1 winning PowerBall ticket sold in Georgia

(he will get over $120 million after taxes )

No $2 million winner
No $1 million winner

Old 09-18-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If I was no longer working, I'd still be a steady patron of the business, so there would be no avoiding the other employees. I doubt they could find anyone to do all the things I've done, at the odd hours I sometimes have to do them. There'd have to be two or three new people hired. But I'd probably give free instructions and even do some of the difficult tasks pro bono, since I'd be there almost daily.

The first thing I'd do after a big lottery win, would be to rent an apartment in the next city over and change my official address to there. Driver's license, and other such things that might lead someone to me, would be changed. Then, I'd cash the ticket and collect the money. Immediately, I'd cancel my new residence and change everything back to what it was before, never having actually moved anyway. Always having used my middle name, except for official things, would further disrupt any attempts by con-artists to find me.
I'll bet if you suddenly died they would hire one person to replace you ( not two or three )

Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,459,180 times
I would use two vacation days and take a limo to Harrisburg to verify. Then I'd go in, tell my boss I'm quitting, get my paperwork together and thank them for the opportunity. I have no beef with my employer or management.
I would throw a big party and help out a couple guys who I know need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment