Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 02:33 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I'd love to know where the line is drawn about the bahavior of employers?

I am really curious about where the line is drawn.
Oh come on now, you know employers can't possibly be bullies and treat their employees badly. There will NEVER be a line drawn. They can do as they wish apparently. Taking another job to get away from a bully is not really solving the problem as they will just bully someone else in the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:04 PM

379 posts, read 813,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Oh come on now, you know employers can't possibly be bullies and treat their employees badly. There will NEVER be a line drawn. They can do as they wish apparently. Taking another job to get away from a bully is not really solving the problem as they will just bully someone else in the office.
One solution would be to do what Rosa Parks did. She refused to sit in the back of the bus, thereby breaking an actual law that tolerated prejudice. And from there, we are where we are today.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the same people that take the abuse and complain on CDF--- are the same people that hate unions and would rather die than be in one.
it reminds me of women that live with wife beaters.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
This all goes back to the economy. Many bullies today would look clueless to their bosses, if the economy was better, and they were losing disproportinate staff each year, relative to other departments. Managers never want to look alone, there is cover in #s, so as long as they do not lose any more than mgr X, they are ok. If the economy ever comes back, the emperor has no clothes, and the same boss' boss winking at his bully tactics will throw him off the bus, and claim he did not know.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,401 times
I think the corporate structure and what American companies are turning into is what's to blame. For example, take a retail company who has a CEO that doesn't really do anything but collects a multi-million dollar bonus at the end of every year. Due to the economy, sales are down all across the board and stock prices plunge which causes stockholder's to get angry and in turn demand that the Board of Directors do something about it.

The CEO gets angry now that his bonus is in jeopardy and demands that his regional managers do something about the low sales. These managers yell at the District Managers who than yell at Store Managers who yell at Department Managers who than take out all their anger and frustrations on poorly paid and over-worked Store Associates (who happen to be young, college students).

This is the problem. When the CEO feels a pinch in his paycheck and his company's stock starts to plunge you have a trickle down effect where regular part-time employees have to face the blunt of the anger.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Yes. People play into workplace mobbing and do what the psychopathic boss tells them to do. Then they wonder why ole' "Milton" comes back to work to sabotage others or even stalks others out of revenge. See it's a vicious cycle of retaliation: if your psychopathic boss is ruining lives: you'd better help to stop it. The corruption starts at the top and rolls downhill.

Need I remind everyone of Michael Moore: sure he is grossly overweight and rich but that didn't stop him from exposing GM and the insurance companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
by accepting all manner of bad treatment because a) we like or need the paycheck b) we're too tired to look for another job c) there's no time to look for another job d) the benefits or vacation time is good. Why do the majority of employees accept the injustices and flagrant disregard for the law? Do we just feel that it's the same everywhere, so why bother to seek a civlized work environment? I'm not saying that all employers are like this. However, I have observed that some companies know their employees need to pay the mortgage, etc., and feel that 'anything goes' because the employee is desparate to keep their job to pay those bills. It's amazing what goes on. Why do we stand for it?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Michael Moore already documented that in his DVDs The Big One, Sicko, and Capitalism: A Love Story.

There is a book called Corporate Cults by Dave Arnott that everyone should check out. The corporations are about equivalent to that of the institutions in Stalin's Soviet Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
I think the corporate structure and what American companies are turning into is what's to blame. For example, take a retail company who has a CEO that doesn't really do anything but collects a multi-million dollar bonus at the end of every year. Due to the economy, sales are down all across the board and stock prices plunge which causes stockholder's to get angry and in turn demand that the Board of Directors do something about it.

The CEO gets angry now that his bonus is in jeopardy and demands that his regional managers do something about the low sales. These managers yell at the District Managers who than yell at Store Managers who yell at Department Managers who than take out all their anger and frustrations on poorly paid and over-worked Store Associates (who happen to be young, college students).

This is the problem. When the CEO feels a pinch in his paycheck and his company's stock starts to plunge you have a trickle down effect where regular part-time employees have to face the blunt of the anger.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
When I was 16, and starting out in my career, I got yelled at like anyone starting out should. Matter of fact, my dad yelled at me quite a bit growing up, so when I started my first job, my boss really didn't have to yell too much. The whole yelling part made me learn faster. No one wants to get yelled at, so when they do, they learn not to present the opportunity to be yelled at. What amazes me is, 8 years later, when some of my friends are now starting their careers, they are complaining profusely about the slightest little moments of confrontation. A mere speckle of constructive criticism and these wussies break down. If only America could export sissy-nannies, our economy would be rockin... It's not my job, or anyone elses to care about your precious feelings. If you cannot perform, that will be brought to your attention.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Need I remind everyone of Michael Moore: sure he is grossly overweight and rich but that didn't stop him from exposing GM and the insurance companies.
What did he expose exactly about GM? This is of course a unionized automaker, a company he should be supporting, so I am curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment