Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:23 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes, he needs an assessment, to determine his strengths, and deficits. A full assessment includes a psych eval, which will also identify peronality or behavorial issues that are an impediment to maintaining employment. And then, developing a plan to identify jobs where he will be successful. He may even benefit from a job coach, to model appropriate work habits. Some people with severe social learning problems do things to annoy others, they are not even aware of, and a job coach can help him with that.
Sounds great except all that testing & eval costs $$$$$$ -- even insurance may or may not cover it. Maybe a combination of ADHD meds & anti depressants would be sufficient??? Prozac & Adderall have helped me significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 10:41 PM

114 posts, read 244,858 times
Atleast you get jobs easily. Sheesh some of us have to do the impossible to get an interview.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Thread is more than 6 months old.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:10 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
OK, I'm a 22 year old male and Ive held a job ever since I was 16, but Ive pretty much been fired or forced to quit from every job I've ever had, with the exception of 1. Ive seriously held like 30+ jobs, some for as little as a day to a week.
And although it might sound strange, I'm not sure why I keep getting put in this position over and over.I'm virtually never late, I never call out, I've never called in sick, I never argue with managers or costumers. I am completely respectful to all my co workers.
But I keep getting fired or laid off or forced to quit at every job either because I'm too much of a perfectionist or because people end up not liking me. An Example: I work for a cleaning company, the cleaning company tells us to half as everything, but I spend extra time cleaning so I can make sure the place I'm cleaning looks good, so I get fired for being slow. Another Example: I worked as a cashier for Target, Target requires their cashiers to sell a certain number of credit cards to costumers or lose hours, I ended up with 5 hours a week and ended up quiting(none of my managers objected, or tried to stop me.
I worked at a resturaunt, and all the people there were mean and agressive, borderline bi polar it seemed. They all hated me because I wasn't "manly" enough and just started making my life their a living hell till I quit. I don't know what it is, I just keep getting fired, and I'm not absolving myself of any responsibility, if I got fired and it was my fault, I would admit to it. But I havent done anything to get fired. Just today I got fired from my job at a plastic factory because I packaged some plastic lids wrong, but I was following the directions that were given to me by my supervisor and did it the way he told me to, and then they told me I put to much lids and told me to never come back.
LOL, I seriously dont understand what I'm doing wrong? Is it maybe because I keep to myself at jobs and dont really involve myself much in the social aspects of my co-workers?
When you work for a small place and they explain how they want things done, there is a reason for that. At the cleaning company, they are on a time schedule and want you to work fast and efficiently. If you are taking too long because as you say you are being thorough, you are defeating the purpose of their services.."Fast, efficient and thorough". That whole thing about Target sounds insane. Lose hours for not selling credit cards?? I would have to question that one too. Restaurants are a fast paced environment and if you couldn't keep up with that kind of pace at the cleaning place then why go to another place that works twice as fast and twice as hard with more requirements for health concerns? I don't buy the "unmanly" thing. There are lots of waiters who are "unmanly" and make amazing tips. The world of being prejudiced against "unmanly" men is getting lots more friendly.
Look, again....if the supervisor at the lid factory told you to put 4 lids in a package and you put 5 then you were NOT following directions. Use your noggin. Think about how many lids you see in a package of ANYTHING and why would there be more than 2 or perhaps 4 at the most?? Granted they probably should have given you a second chance but if you argued with them or did it more than once or lied about any portion of how you were trained then you would be out the door.
What you are doing wrong is not listening, not taking direction well and perhaps trying to cover your tracks when you screw up. Unfortunately, unless you have your own business you pretty much have to follow directions and not try to "re-write" the work ethic of every place you go. Take some training in whatever field you may be interested in, learn how to get along with other people and don't take offense so fast when someone looks at you cross eyed. There are people of all sorts out there and you have to learn to get along with them or you will never be able to work with the public again.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:58 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Sounds great except all that testing & eval costs $$$$$$ -- even insurance may or may not cover it. Maybe a combination of ADHD meds & anti depressants would be sufficient??? Prozac & Adderall have helped me significantly.
You are still young enough to look into Job Corps. Haven't you seen them advertised on TV?? They will train you and why the prozac and adderall?? Good grief, it is so easy to turn to meds to make your life the way you want it and not do the work?? Where is the reward in that. Check into Job Corps. I know a few young people who have tried it and found good jobs.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 AM

867 posts, read 1,587,604 times
Sounds like you keep going for jobs that are too easy for you. I would consider you "under-employed". You are overqualified for those jobs.

Also sounds like you need to brush up on your people skills. Sure there will be people out there who are prejudice against someone who seems "different" from them, but there were probably some people who you could have been friends with as well.

Another issue could be that your co-workers and manager realized on some level that you're overqualified for the job, and become intimidated, jealous or just plan scared of you. That's human nature and there's not much you can do about it. Consider this a good thing b/c it means you are being true to yourself.

My guess is you are probably very intelligent with a good work ethic and you need to search out jobs that will give you the opportunity to shine. Ever try accounting? Computer programming? Systems Analyst? Those types of job require a perfectionist and someone totally dedicated to the work itself.

Have you ever taken an apptitude test? Find out your strengths? What do you like doing in your free time? Try taking a few college courses to find out what you like doing and more importantly, what you are good at.

I've been fired or laid off at least 6 times. Sure I feel bad and take it personally but then I realized that I wasn't happy or fulfilled anyway so actually they were doing me a favor by letting me go. I finally found a great job that is stimulating and has so much to offer.

You will find that too, you just have to keep looking but look for something that is in a field you want to be successful at. Don't worry about all the times you quit or were fired, just keep fine tuning your skill set until you the job where you can be successful and happy at each day.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Its OK that you are only 22. Try getting evaluated for adult ADHD & Aspergers. Many who get fired repeatedly have underlying issues like this but don't get them resolved until they are in their 30's or later where at that age you are unemployable if you don't have a good work history.
i've had some issues with this as of late...adult ADHD/asperger's. Am currently working with several people that are in touch with some high-ups at big companies...am hoping this will allow for some disability accomodations and greater tolerance.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Medication alone probably wouldn't fix it, would just make it better. I've been on medication for ADD for years and it still didn't stop me encountering trouble in the work world due to it. Companies need to made aware of these deficits and the ADA should also be used.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
I think a lot of people are neglecting the fact that he's worked a ton of low skilled jobs in which people are fired all the time because co-workers/bosses just plain don't like them.

Maybe people just plain don't like you. Sorry that this is generally unhelpful.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
Turnover rate is usually pretty high at most low-skilled, low-paying jobs. Lots of people quit, get fired for cause, and get laid-off from such jobs for almost any imaginable reason under the sun. Such jobs are easily replaceable.

I agree with those who say that the OP needs to evaluate and if necessary work on his people skills. Let's face it - 95% of all jobs - yes even a large number of jobs where the bulk of your time is spent in solitude - require some varying degree of interacting with others, be it your boss, customers, etc. The frequency could be every day, or once a week, or whatever. Competent social and people skills - including the ability to deal with a wide variety of people, even those with difficult attitudes - is important to one's ability to be liked, respected, successful and able to function in society.

That said, this thread is over half a year old and the OP hasn't been online in a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment