Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times

Advertisements

If you fire them, be prepared for some bad PR. Remember the diabetic woman who took some chips so she didn't pass out? Got fired and got national negative publicity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 PM

78 posts, read 313,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Would you find a reason to fire them? They aren't your problem after all; you are here to make money!

Would you work with them and their schedule until they are better? They are human beings and they deserve dignity.
I had an employee that had a operation that required him not to lift anything, so I had him work in the shop doing nothing for a month. I paid him 2k which was about 2k below his normal wages.

He recovered, work a month at his regular job and quit to go work for another company.

My policy is, if an employee can't work, if they can make to work, I'll pay something to do anything even if it's sitting around keeping me company.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
My gf's dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness. It caused him to slowly become paralyzed until his brain could no longer control breathing activity and pass away.

His employer made an incredible effort to stay on-board and he literally worked until the day he died. I suppose it would have been different if he was a labor worker... but he was a knowledge worker (a pharmaceutical phd chemist), so he still had value to the company as long as his brain functioned and he could communicate.

At my company (< 50 people), we have a situation where we provide salary and benefits to someone who cannot work anymore due to an illness.

Last edited by NJBest; 12-15-2011 at 07:35 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 PM

915 posts, read 3,181,820 times
i just started with this new company but i heard they have this old guy been on and off with the company. He was not in good health. Technically he is an employee but as of now, he is not healthy enough to come back. But I was told he can come back when is he better...

smaller company, 2 owners, things are a little personal i guess.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1901 View Post
I had an employee that had a operation that required him not to lift anything, so I had him work in the shop doing nothing for a month. I paid him 2k which was about 2k below his normal wages.

He recovered, work a month at his regular job and quit to go work for another company.

My policy is, if an employee can't work, if they can make to work, I'll pay something to do anything even if it's sitting around keeping me company.
That is great!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My gf's dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness. It caused him to slowly become paralyzed until his brain could no longer control breathing activity and pass away.

His employer made an incredible effort to stay on-board and he literally worked until the day he died. I suppose it would have been different if he was a labor worker... but he was a knowledge worker (a pharmaceutical phd chemist), so he still had value to the company as long as his brain functioned and he could communicate.

At my company (< 50 people), we have a situation where we provide salary and benefits to someone who cannot work anymore due to an illness.
Very good to hear!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Would you find a reason to fire them? They aren't your problem after all; you are here to make money!
That depends if I could afford it or not.

I was self employed for over 20 years of my life, most of the time employing between 6 and 25 employees, and there were times I couldn't afford to pay myself. All my employees got checks but on payday mine would sometime languish until I had more money in the checking account.

For most of the time I did pretty well but if I had earned just half of what my employees thought I did I would have retired ten years ago.

Quote:
Would you work with them and their schedule until they are better? They are human beings and they deserve dignity.
Longest I ever worked with an employee was one who broke his leg playing baseball with his son on July 4th.

Pretty bad break, needed surgery.

Four four months I paid 100% of his salary ($24.75/hr in 1997) and continued to pay for his family medical insurance at a rate of around $700/month if I remember correctly. Probably cost me $26,000 or thereabouts.

Why? Because I felt it was the right thing to do but more importantly I could afford to do it at the time. The late 90's were boom years and I was doing very well.

What about companies that are barely hanging on, what are they supposed to do?

What about some personal responsibility on the employees part such as purchasing short term disability insurance to protect the family? Generally get two years worth that covers 66% of your gross salary (the insurance proceeds are not subject to any taxes) that starts 30 to 90 days after the onset of the disability. I think you can get it to kick in after 7 days but that gets kind of pricey with 90 days being relatively cheap protection.

Personal responsibility, who would have ever guessed?

Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,235 times
That is what insurance is for. Accommodate them and hire additional help to backfill the position, if that is what is needed. Legally they cannot be fired.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I have had this experience several times, both at places with over 1,500 employees. Here we have a sick leave donation program where co-workers can donate some of their unused time to help someone that has exhausted theirs due to a prolonged illness. We also offer long-term disability insurance, so the person would at some point be able to collect about 60% of their pay. If necessary we will hire a temp but will not replace someone until such time as they have resigned or
died. In once case that's exactly what happened, we had temps for over a year and then the person died, then we were able to announce an opening and hire a replacement.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:

In business, having all the smarts in the world won't amount to anything if you don't have heart.

I would do what I could to support them by allowing them to continue with their job, and finding something else for them to do if it became too much for them to handle.

Life is hard enough for people, why make it more difficult?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment