Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM

182 posts, read 612,734 times

Advertisements

Even if you don't end up being an engineer in the end (many don't), an engineering degree is extremely valuable. I got interviewed for all sorts of positions in many various industries because of my engineering background. Good luck to ya. Go shadow someone, that should help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 PM

141 posts, read 304,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Take general chemistry I. If you like it, you might like engineering. You need good algebra skills first.

Once you have completed algebra, you can take three semesters of calculus.
Once you have completed those, you can take a physics course.

If you hate algebra and calculus, you can stop right there and save yourself the trouble of taking chemistry and physics.

If you like chemistry and physics, you might like engineering. If you don't like those, then engineering will suck even more.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get a BS in physics instead of engineering.
What does chemistry have to do with it?

I hated chemistry, and I'm a great engineer now...

Chemistry only matters if you want chemical engineering. However, if you want to do mechanical, petroleum, aerospace, structural, civil, architectural, environmental.... engineering... then chemistry doesn't mean anything.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:48 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
If you want to be an engineer, then brace yourself for being challenged academically in ways you cannot possibly imagine.

If you can do that, then you should be okay.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:03 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,610 times
Are you still in High School? If so, I know an excellent after school program for you that will introduce you into the world of engineering. It's free and have a chapter in NYC, but only for high school students.

People are correct that you have to like math. I'm also assuming you're referring to the civil/mechanical/electrical, etc type engineering. Not the computer engineering, which is completely different.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Are you talking about classes in high school or college though?
I don't see why it would matter. You just need some basic skills to be able to do the chemistry or physics stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J152cc2 View Post
What does chemistry have to do with it?

I hated chemistry, and I'm a great engineer now...

Chemistry only matters if you want chemical engineering. However, if you want to do mechanical, petroleum, aerospace, structural, civil, architectural, environmental.... engineering... then chemistry doesn't mean anything.
Chemistry rules the fundamental elemental levels of electronics and mechanics.
Many many process engineers at semiconductor firmss are chemical engineers.

So you are a "great engineer." You didn't like chemistry then fine. Maybe you are a freak.
I don't see why you mentioned petroleum and environmental engineering as not
having a relationship to chemistry. Even a lay-person would know that they do.
Not knowing that and being a "great engineer" are questionable things to lay out side-by-side.

Generally people who are "great engineers" don't need to tell others that they are.

I'm just giving my advice. If someone only listens to one person's advice then they are stooopid.

Chemistry and physics are subjects that you can discuss with people who have no engineering or science
background because they can relate to things like acids, electric circuits, gravity and stuff like that.

I can't talk about a Bode Plot or a Carrier Wave to very many people.

Last edited by mortimer; 02-03-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM

141 posts, read 304,860 times
Quote:
Chemistry rules the fundamental elemental levels of electronics and mechanics.
I don't see why you mentioned petroleum and environmental engineering as not
having a relationship to chemistry. Even a lay-person would know that they do.
Many many process engineers at semiconductor firmss are chemical engineers.

So you are a "great engineer." You didn't like chemistry then fine.
Maybe you are a freak. I'm just giving my advice. If someone only listens
to one person's advice then they are stooopid.

Chemistry and physics are subjects that you can discuss with people
who have no engineering or science background because they can relate
to things like acids, electric circuits, gravity and stuff like that.

I can't talk about a Bode Plot to very many people.
Yeah but if you don't like Chemistry-- it doesn't mean you can't be a good engineer...

Now math and physics-- that may be a different story altogether...

There is such a broad range of engineering fields that whether you like chemistry or not, doesn't mean you can't be an engineer-- it just means you probably shouldn't be a chemical engineer.

The only petroleum engineers who use chemistry are in research. The rest never use it. I'm a petroleum engineer.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
Quote:
Yeah but if you don't like Chemistry-- it doesn't mean you can't be a good engineer...
Actually, my original comment said that if you didn't like chemistry, you wouldn't like engineering, in general.
I didn't say you couldn't work through your dislike of the material.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
There is one thing above all else engineers must enjoy and be good at:

SOLVING PROBLEMS

If you are a problem solver (even if math isn't your strong suit!) you will make a good engineer.
In my realm, this is what I have observed. If an engineer cannot focus on solving a problem, even if it takes days or even weeks, they don't last long. The engineers that have rolodex's of potential employers can have any job up and running in short order. In order to do that, they must be able to solve the problems that inevitably occur throughout the process. It takes a lot of focus, concentration and patience.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 PM

606 posts, read 1,079,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Are you still in High School? If so, I know an excellent after school program for you that will introduce you into the world of engineering. It's free and have a chapter in NYC, but only for high school students.

People are correct that you have to like math. I'm also assuming you're referring to the civil/mechanical/electrical, etc type engineering. Not the computer engineering, which is completely different.
What program? Yes, I was referring to civil/mechanical/electrical etc.

Quote:
Actually, my original comment said that if you didn't like chemistry, you wouldn't like engineering, in general.
I didn't say you couldn't work through your dislike of the material.
How many engineering fields besides chemical really have to do with chemistry? Looking at curricular for several engineering schools, none of the majors require you to take chemistry besides chemical engineering and maybe environmental.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 AM

30 posts, read 130,427 times
I'll be starting my 4th year of civil engineering in September. I'm part of the co-op program at my university so I'm currently on my final 8 month workterm (already had an 8 month and a 4 month work term). Unfortunately my experiences won't tell you much about other fields like Mechanical, Chemical, or Electrical engineering but hopefully it helps to some extent. Most people have covered the academic aspect so I don't have much else to add on that part. I will say that it can be very stressful during the academic semesters, and you will have a number of late nights just trying to figure out and finish your homework. Definitely work in groups whenever you can.

Engineering is a very broad field, but in all disciplines math and problem solving will be your biggest tools for the academic side. However, what has given me the leg-up in my interviews and co-op jobs is being outgoing, enthusiastic, and positive. Employers love to have motivated new employees and even if you're not as strong technically, those skills will come much easier than the inherent personality and work ethic traits.

My first job was testing concrete (look up slump testing, air testing, and casting cylinders). This involved driving around to various construction sites in the city and waiting for concrete trucks to come on site so I could perform the testing. I would then notify the foreman or superintendent that the concrete was satisfactory and could be poured.

My second job was a lot of excel work. I was in the oilsands in North Alberta helping a project manager in the tailings (waste cleanup) division. It was mostly data entry and report writing. Organization and communication (lots of emails) were big factors here.

I'm going to be going to Brisbane, Australia very soon for my final workterm. It will be data entry and analysis for a mining company over there. I'm not quite sure what the work entails but it will probably be very similar to my previous job.

These are fairly typical jobs for younger civil engineers. Construction companies are big on hiring civil engineers for either structural, management, or planning purposes. A lot of people also work for municipalities and work on various public projects in the city. This is what I think I'd like to get into when I graduate. It's a fairly standard work week (mon-fri, 40 hours) and typically has job stability and great benefits. I'm glad I enrolled in the co-op program though because I got to do tons of work I'd never have experienced if I just tried to get a job straight out of my degree.

Which also leads into another aspect that may interest you, management. A lot of engineers go on to become managers because they usually have the intelligence and work ethic. As long as you have the personal traits, management is a very realistic option with an engineering degree.

Last edited by Adrianw2; 02-07-2012 at 02:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment