Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 AM

606 posts, read 1,079,085 times

Advertisements

I’m trying to figure out what careers best suit me, and I’ve been considering engineering. I don’t know much about the field, but it is always in the back of my mind for consideration.

What type of interests should I absolutely have in order to study engineering?
Are there any natural skills I should possess?
What do engineers do on a regular basis?
Are there any sites I can go to to get information on engineering?

Last edited by musicislife.glee; 02-03-2012 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:07 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Are you strong in math?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 PM

141 posts, read 304,860 times
There is one thing above all else engineers must enjoy and be good at:

SOLVING PROBLEMS

If you are a problem solver (even if math isn't your strong suit!) you will make a good engineer.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
hard math and science classes with strong GPA average. if that is not present stop now.
my nephew just wasted his GI bill pursuing something out of his league including the cute blonde that dumped him when he went on academic probation.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Are you strong in math?
I enjoy math. I am pretty good at Algebra, but not Geometry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J152cc2 View Post
There is one thing above all else engineers must enjoy and be good at:

SOLVING PROBLEMS

If you are a problem solver (even if math isn't your strong suit!) you will make a good engineer.
Yup, I do enjoy solving problems...I don't know if I'm so good at it though. How do I find out?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM

182 posts, read 612,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
I enjoy math. I am pretty good at Algebra, but not Geometry.

Yup, I do enjoy solving problems...I don't know if I'm so good at it though. How do I find out?
they'll teach you to be good at it. As long as you're interested in solving problems, you're good to go.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,729,305 times
Ding! Solving problems is key. Do you like finding out answers to things by putting pieces of knowledge together? i.e. drawing conclusions? Being decent at math and having an above average memory will help - but these are things you can work on with effort. If you're not committed to putting in some effort (think 3-6 hours/day for homework) for a couple of years, outside of school, save yourself the trouble. It sucks putting in even some of that time and then switching out of the field.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
Take general chemistry I. If you like it, you might like engineering. You need good algebra skills first.

Once you have completed algebra, you can take three semesters of calculus.
Once you have completed those, you can take a physics course.

If you hate algebra and calculus, you can stop right there and save yourself the trouble of taking chemistry and physics.

If you like chemistry and physics, you might like engineering. If you don't like those, then engineering will suck even more.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get a BS in physics instead of engineering.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 PM

182 posts, read 612,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Take general chemistry I. If you like it, you might like engineering. You need good algebra skills first.

If you hate algebra and calculus, you can stop right there and save yourself the trouble of taking chemistry and physics.

If you like chemistry and physics, you might like engineering. If you don't like those, then engineering will suck even more.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

Are you talking about classes in high school or college though?

I do chemistry well, but I like the balancing of equations and electron configurations better than knowing properties and things like that.
I absolutely love algebra, it's my favorite math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment