Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,729,143 times

Advertisements

What's the difference between a pizza and a physicist?

A pizza can feed a family of four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,901,739 times
I agree that you should have the ability to solve problems which goes with a certain level of proficiency in math. In addition, you must possess a natural curiosity and a desire to solve the problem. You should be able to think both sequentially and spatially depending on the subject matter. Without that sense of logic and ability to discern steps to get there, engineering would be difficult.

Even if you like or are good at some subjects, it won't be necessarily an indicator of how well you will do. I like Chemistry and Algebra, did very well in both, hated Physics, did poorly at that, neither love nor hate Calculus, struggled with that, good in art, just survived drafting, hated electrical engineering, aced Power, nearly flunked Electronics,etc. etc.

I think a person's brain gets compartmentalized somehow and there's no predictable way to measure success in a course. I think it has to be a desire to find the solution. Some skills in organization (of your study materials) helps and an idea of what engineering field you want to major in will help you filter your efforts as you go through your courses.

Engineering is a path of discipline and logical thinking. Even if you don't become a practicing engineer, what you learn and how you learn will benefit you regardless of what career you choose.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,921 times
Thank you for all the feedback guys.

I took a career aptitude test recently, and my results were an INTJ thinker, and one of the ideal jobs for that was engineering!

My only worry is that although I'm in high school, I don't really invent anything, and don't really think about inventing or programming, or many of the things that engineers do.

This may be a stupid question, but are engineers considered "makers"? (makezine.com: Downloads and Extras in the Current Issue of MAKE Magazine | DIY Projects on makezine.com)
I look at those kids, even younger than me, and they are already inventing things.
Is it wise to go into the field if you haven't already been inventing your whole life?
It seems like something I would like to do. I like to analyze and I am a logical thinker. Math is one of my strong suits and I love doing it.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 PM

30 posts, read 130,411 times
I wasn't much of an inventor and I don't think that would be an issue. Problem solving, both in academic and people scenarios are far more important for many types of engineering.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Engineering is a very broad field. I know people who went into law and medicine and even sales after doing engineering undergrad. I think most engineers need to take physics and chemistry for a year in college and calculus for 2 years.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
No engineering is not correct for you. There is a big difference between those that have stayed employed in this field vs those that just have the degree.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
No engineering is not correct for you. There is a big difference between those that have stayed employed in this field vs those that just have the degree.
Can you elaborate please?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM

890 posts, read 2,786,011 times
Browse around for some games, and play something that interests you.

Then note the following.

1. Did you like the game for the entertainment purpose it provided only?

If yes, then engineering will not suit you.
If no, then the game sucked.

2. Did you begin to imagine the possibilities of improving the game?

If yes, then you probably move towards art, designs, and management.

3. Did you begin to be curious on what makes the game tick, the insides?

If yes, then you have the making of an engineer.

4. Did you begin to start making your own game, but improved?

If yes, then you have the making of a good engineer.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 PM

377 posts, read 620,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
If I had it to do over again, I'd get a BS in physics instead of engineering.
Don't listen to this poster, OP. I have a BSc in physics and mathematics, an MSc in physics and I have been unemployed ever since I've left school. Based on my experience, 90% of tech employers in industry (those who usually employ engineers) are only looking for people with engineering degrees, even if you can demonstrate you can do the job with only a physics background. You won't even have the chance to demonstrate that, as some computer algorithm programmed by an HR drone will trash your resume if key phrases such as"BSc in _____ engineering" does not appear on it.

If I could do it all over again, I'd definitely would have chose an engineering degree.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 PM

105 posts, read 153,906 times
Default Engineering

For engineering:
It will not be easy and graduating will mean nothing. The contacts you make with industry, friends, and professors should be your main goal.

CERTIFICATION
1. If you want to work as a mechanical, industrial, or civil engineer. You will most likely have to go to graduate school because professional engineering certification will require it by 2015.

EXPERIENCE
2. Having experience with making things is beneficial. A degree will not get you a job. Whatever you do, go into it 100%. This means looking for any opportunity to work with a company or others.

Working with others is beneficial because:
a. You will get references and experience
b. It will expose you to concepts other students will need to learn from scratch, this will be a great advantage for you

PREPARATION
3. Take Calculus (integration, differentiation with trig functions) before you go to college.
4. Be computer literate. Toy around with AutoCAD or Photoshop.

CAVEATS
5. I would stay away from Electrical Engineering. Electrical is one of the hardest engineering fields. It is also seeing a decline. Stay Away.

IN COLLEGE
6. You won't have much of a life in college. Make sure you have at least a 3.2 GPA, if you start to slip have an exit plan (e.g. Finance as a second major)
7. Find friends quickly so you can have a study group. Loners get killed in engineering.
8. Be super vigilant about researching the classes you take and knowing what grade you will make (As and Bs only!)
9. If you want to go to a grad school, get to know professors at your school and try to apply for internships at the university you want to study at.
10. Take hard classes at a community or technical college if you enroll at a university

AFTER COLLEGE
11. Look into finance. If you are able to maintain a high GPA, engineering will give you an advantage in being accepted into grad school or an MBA program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment