Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM

18,738 posts, read 33,543,933 times

Advertisements

"It's not the most interesting thing about me."
My job is supposed to be interesting, at least, to people who don't work third shift with psychotic people. I glaze over if someone from a "duller" environment wants to be entertained with stories. Hey, I'm home now for at least two weeks with whiplash because a crazy woman threw herself at me, how's your office job going?"
I can't stand work talk. My friend who makes international health and environment films doesn't want to talk about work. It's not the most interesting thing about her, either.
"Actually, I've been thinking a lot lately about _____ "(fill in with something you think about.
"Hey, it's a living. Read any good books lately?"
As my dear father said, "That's why they call it work. If it was fun, they'd call it fun."
Maybe people just ask so you'll ask back and they can start bragging about something. There was a co-worker who, while divorcing, was hitting it up on dating websites (for the first time in her life). She always greeted me with, "So how's your love life?" I would answer, "About the same since the last time you asked me." (She wanted me to ask her so she could tell me about all the wonderful screwing around she was doing- it was gross).
I think about most things a lot more than I think about work. I'm enjoying my current back injury since I can't go to work.
When I worked as a tech writer (two of the longest years of my life) I'd be numb with boredom and depression by lunch. If someone wanted to chat and ask, "So, what are you working on?" I could barely remember if it was the MC-3200 on Sun platform or the 6400 or whatever and didn't know what the hell it did or why I should care except I was getting paid. I hated being asked that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,286,061 times
Eventually if you are looking for a long term relationship or marriage it all has to come out anyway. People are just naturally inquisitive and just thank your lucky stars you were sitting there with a woman who didn't just rattle on about herself.

Simply say you find it boring to talk about and give her a quick over view of some of the tasks you do or a day in the life, even a funny story. If I was with a guy who clammed up when a question like that comes up I'd wonder what they are hiding.

True story. My best friend met this guy through a matchmaker service. I went out to dinner with the two of them and when I asked him what he did for a living she kicked me in the shin under the table. We got back to her townhouse and I needed to use the bathroom and in the tissue box on the toilet tank was a huge bag of different colored pills...he was a drug dealer. I was livid because if she wants to put her head in the sand over it - doin't drag me with you - if the police came I'd have ended up in jail. I give him two extra points for stupidity that he didn't have some sort of job he could discuss as a cover.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:10 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,913,647 times
I see the "How's work?" question as another way of saying "How are you?"

It's just a polite, small-talk sort of question and no one wants to know the real answer to either one!

I think the only appropriate response (to both) is "Fine, and you?".

Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,936 posts, read 82,014,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
I see the "How's work?" question as another way of saying "How are you?"

It's just a polite, small-talk sort of question and no one wants to know the real answer to either one!

I think the only appropriate response (to both) is "Fine, and you?".
I agree, they really don't want to know how your work is any more than people really want to hear about your sinus congestion when they ask how you are. It's simply an accepted polite greeting.

Worse than that is when you are introduced to someone at a party and they run out of things to say and ask what you "do." You feel obligated to say something interesting to keep the conversation going. In your case you could say "I'm in the insurance business, how about you?" and they will quickly talk about their job and not ask you anything further out of fear you will try to sell them insurance.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,709,518 times
i hate that too but thats because i'm unemployed..i bet if i was i would love to say "yes i'm doing this! and its wonderful!"

but in the words of Tyler Durden "You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet..."

Old 04-16-2016, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,053 times
Boring Job?
I work for Amazon warehouse; picking customers items, 10 hours shift, walking 12 miles per day.
Honestly, I've been with this company 'cause of the benefits and the schedule exception for school.
When people asks me: How's work? I just tell them: really good! thanks. They don't really care if I'm feeling miserable doing so.You don't have to be specific. If you don't feel happy with your job, try your best to improve yourself and finding something
you're really passionate about. I recommend you to read: Where will you be 5 years from today?

Thanks, for reading.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:42 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,843,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
OK I get very annoyed when someone asks me "How's work?" I know people mean well, but the majority of these people have jobs they really love and seem to talk about.

I am a clerk at an insurance company. Very boring job. Nothing to brag about, no funny otr cool stories to tell. Whatever, it pays the bills.

So I guess my question is if you either hate your job or bored with it and when someone asks you "How's work?," what do you tell them without sounding rude, negative or depressed or giving TMI?
"Marty's been drinking more than normal. Dave got busted for smuggling last month, we may not see him again. Paula won the "Best HR stripper" award last month and now is going to the finals. Linda's 17 year old daughter just gave birth to twins and half the office is getting antsy waiting for the meth shipment to arrive. Other than that, it's ok"

Old 04-17-2016, 11:52 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,159,910 times
You need to keep it PC when someone ask you that question since you don't know their intentions.

I had a co-worker ask me that question on how i felt with job/how long i will stay etx. Thankfully, i answered in a PC way. I later found out how she would talk to the boss about everyone.

If someone ask you that ? just keep it PC. Don't ever talk negative about the job to anyone who works there. If you need to vent do it here or talk it out with a family member or close friend.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:21 PM

35,285 posts, read 31,658,660 times
It's just small talk. What I'm doing at work won't be understood by most people on the street nor would they care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment