Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times

Advertisements

Lots of good advice. We have very different personalities. I more like to dig into problems and come up with a good solution, and then present it to people. He more likes to knock heads and go from person to person to get results. He can be abrasive, but he gets things done.

One thing that drives me crazy is he tends to ignore / go contrary to / change what I've done. I'd probably say that is his biggest weakness -- thinking his way is always the best and not realizing other people do have good inputs. I work with plenty of other really smart and talented people. But I feel like they respect my opinions (and me), whereas this guy doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Lots of good advice. We have very different personalities. I more like to dig into problems and come up with a good solution, and then present it to people. He more likes to knock heads and go from person to person to get results. He can be abrasive, but he gets things done.

One thing that drives me crazy is he tends to ignore / go contrary to / change what I've done. I'd probably say that is his biggest weakness -- thinking his way is always the best and not realizing other people do have good inputs. I work with plenty of other really smart and talented people. But I feel like they respect my opinions (and me), whereas this guy doesn't.
If this individual is your equal - I'd put a stop to that right away. I'm also going to say 'watch your back' because I've met a few of those types too.

You might have to be a bit more aggressive to compete with the person you are describing.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:

I am still waiting for you to tell me what your real job is. If you don't even know what your real job is, how can you do it well?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
When I see someone who is where I want to be but I'm not, I observe them and try to figure out what they're doing that I'm not. It does me no good to be jealous, it does nothing to try to put them down (either out loud or even only "in my head"). Pick out one or two things that person is doing that you're not and try to emulate it.

We can all improve in SOME way. The only failure would be in wallowing in self-pity and jealousy.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,612 times
hasn't been a problem

Old 03-10-2012, 07:22 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
I guess you can look at it a different way. Being around someone better than you can make you better as well. You'll observe what they are doing that you are not and it will benefit you in the long-term. A year or two from now, one or both of you will have likely moved on and the skills that you have attained will no doubt benefit you. If you have a long-term mindset, you will more than likely be able to use this competition to your advantage.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am still waiting for you to tell me what your real job is. If you don't even know what your real job is, how can you do it well?
My real job is to give the boss the information he needs to make the right decisions, preferably before he knows he needs it.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
My real job is to give the boss the information he needs to make the right decisions, preferably before he knows he needs it.
No, it is not. :-(

Old 03-11-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No, it is not. :-(
Obviously you have a predetermined answer, so please provide.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:33 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Step 1, improve yourself to become the best.
Step 2, if Step 1 fails you just have to accept that you will not always be the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment