Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

I donno, maybe I am in a philosophical mood... I'm 25 years old. Started working when I was 16. Worked hard, honed in my skills, and always listened to what my elders have had to offer. Made good money, and made crap money. These days, I'm doing fine. Working a lot, and thankful for it. I came from Michigan to Chicago for work in the factories, doing what I've always done because it's not there where I came from like it used to be. Packed up stuff one day and went on my way. Make a decent hourly wage, but work harder and more hours than most people are willing to these days. I work with a lot of immigrants who do the same, and they seem to be doing fine. Many own nice homes and nice cars, but they work hard for that here just like me.

Anyways, I had a job offer out in Florida recently. I think it will be a better opportunity to continue learning, but the overtime potential will be less. The wage is not that great either. Main thing is... I don't need the money, but I want to learn beyond what I am doing now. Good opportunity to do more programming, drafting, designing, and really doing projects start to finish. I'd be walking away from over 5K a month to 3K a month. Very hard to walk away from what I have at my age, but I'm looking out more for down the road.

I was set to take the job last week. Went for a walk today though. Saw a lot of people who were obviously struggling. People who would die for the opportunities I have had in this country. Both hands full of delicious groceries. Fresh cut pork chops, veggies, kielbasa, herring... Seeing how hard it is in this country for so many folks of all backgrounds, it made me think long and hard about my disposition. Makes me think I should be much more grateful for the opportunities I've had, and continue to enjoy. Makes me want to reconsider giving up a decent job and good money.

What would you folks do? I've been working a minimum of 60 hours a week up here. The job is technical in nature. I love my job, and the people I work with. I could easily afford a nice condo or something here, but I would much rather have a house, which sell for dirt in Florida. Tough call for me to make on my own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
60 hours a week is tough, but you don't seem averse to it. Depending on where in Florida, the cost of living may be significantly lower than Chicago, so your bottom line may not be that huge.

You have good reasons to both stay and go. The last time I had to make a decision like this, I made a chart and listed the pros and cons, then revised over the next day or so. When I did that, the decision came into focus, and it was a good one. It might be worth a try - committing something to writing can help provide clarity.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,092 times
Sounds like you're making a descent living right now considering there's a lot of people out there with skills and experience that once were making what you are right now and are now stuck working for 8 dollars an hour (peanuts).

You should be thankful that you are making that descent kind of wage in this *hithole economy. People would kill to be making 60K/year.

Last edited by rgarjr; 03-11-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I'd make that list and one step further- pretend to yourself that you decided on A. See how that feels. Pretend to yourself that you decided on B. See how that feels.
It's hard for me to consider the OP's question because of the age- 25. But 25 in this economy. Being security minded in my old age and in this economy, I'd say stick with the current job, save money like crazy, and make a change if you feel like later, with a good stack of bucks to make a change or ride through any downfalls. (Houses are cheap there for a reason, and they are virtually impossible to sell if you want to- that will be the case for a long time. Liking one's community and people is a very good thing. Best wishes.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
60 hours a week is tough, but you don't seem averse to it. Depending on where in Florida, the cost of living may be significantly lower than Chicago, so your bottom line may not be that huge.

You have good reasons to both stay and go. The last time I had to make a decision like this, I made a chart and listed the pros and cons, then revised over the next day or so. When I did that, the decision came into focus, and it was a good one. It might be worth a try - committing something to writing can help provide clarity.
60 hrs a week for me is nothing. If I could only work 40, I would work somewhere else, or get another job. Actually I have another part time job that I enjoy down the street from my apartment. So, add another little bit to that 5K, and it's even harder to leave. There is plenty of work here, but hard to find people with the right skillset for the jobs available. That's another thing that makes me want to stay put for at least a little bit longer. Not gonna get rich of course, but no one does working for someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Sounds like you're making a descent living right now considering there's a lot of people out there with skills and experience that once were making what you are right now and are now stuck working for 8 dollars an hour (peanuts).

You should be thankful that you are making that descent kind of wage in this *hithole economy. People would kill to be making 60K/year.
Tell me about it. That's why I left Michigan. There were shop owners complaining they couldn't find guys with my experience or skills, but would turn around and offer $10/hr. No wonder they are all closing their doors. The American business model is failing everyone.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,698 times
I haven't heard many good things about Florida. If I personally had to choose Chicago or Florida, it would be Chicago without a question.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
60 hrs a week for me is nothing. If I could only work 40, I would work somewhere else, or get another job. Actually I have another part time job that I enjoy down the street from my apartment. So, add another little bit to that 5K, and it's even harder to leave. There is plenty of work here, but hard to find people with the right skillset for the jobs available. That's another thing that makes me want to stay put for at least a little bit longer. Not gonna get rich of course, but no one does working for someone else.
I used to feel the same way when I was your age. But as you get older, you will notice that each year goes by faster than the previous year and your priorities will change. Just wait until you get married, have children, and own your own home. You will see all these things will require more of your time and as long as you have enough money to pay your bills, you will find working more hours less appealing.

Not once have I ever heard of anybody laying on their deathbed saying I'd wished I would have spent more time at work in my life. You may not believe this now, but just wait 10 or 15 years. I've known many people who ended up divorced because they could not spend enough time with their family.

They key is a work/life balance. Unfortunately this isn't always possible anymore. With the low pay many companies are offering, many people have to work 60 or more hours a week just for the bare necessities.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Just wait until you get married, have children, and own your own home. You will see all these things will require more of your time and as long as you have enough money to pay your bills, you will find working more hours less appealing.
And maybe he'll end up one of those people who ends up not being married-with-children and solely responsible for himself.

Florida wouldn't be an option for me. I've seen enough of it to know that I wouldn't be happy living there, particularly now when the economy has hit the state incredibly hard. It almost sounds to me as though you've already decided to stay where you are for now. By your own admission you love your job and the people you work with - doh!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I would leave Chicago and move to Florida and work 40 hours a week and buy a house. You will move up in your profession within the next few years, based on your new experiences at work.

The cost of living is generally cheaper in Florida, plus there is NO STATE INCOME TAX in Florida.

I lived in Chicago and now live in Florida for a long time. I hated Chicago so much that I often joke that I would rather be down-and-out in Florida (or anywhere else) versus living in Chicago with a decent job. I hated the big city and the dirt and crime and blue collar in-your-face toughness and political favoritism that is part of daily life and goes into jobs as well (who you know is important in Chicago, not as important in other towns).

And the whole dang city seems overly into their sports teams. In Florida, people live life and don't live for their sports teams as much as Chicago. Florida has beautiful coasts and the center of the state is beautiful also.

In reality, you are being paid the same in the Chgo job versus the FL job, IF you worked 40 hrs week at both jobs, right? The only difference in Chgo is the OT. Heck, I would leave Chgo if the pay was triple in Chgo. Get out of the dirty rust belt and experience life in a beautiful state.

If you find that Florida is too hot in the summer, then move in 3 years to another beautiful place. By then, you will have gained the better work experience. Then you check out other beautiful cities/states...and there are many of them in our beautiful country. Take the opportunity. Even moving to different cities in Florida is a big change. Each metro area in Florida is quite different. If someone lived in Orlando and they tell you how awful Florida is based on their experience....they really would be telling their personal Orlando experience. Other parts of Florida would be totally different except for the hot summers and palm trees which are statewide.

What metro area in Florida is this job?

FYI...houses are not virtually impossible to sell in Florida these days. The housing bubble burst badly in Florida a few years ago and things were bad for a few years . But the past 6+ months, houses have been selling briskly. New homes are being built again. The recovery has taken hold in Florida and it appears to be a strong recovery. My area of FL, dare I say, is starting a new boom phase.

It is not easy to move out-of-state. You have to find a new place to live when you are over 1000 miles away. New places to shop and eat and you need a new doctor and dentist and you have no friends/family in the new area. It is hard. I think this is why a lot of folks stay in the same general town area where they were born, year after year. But, oh, there are great things far and away for those that are willing to sacrifice with an out-of-state move. I have done several of them and they are all hard, but all offer great exploration in wonderful new towns once you arrive for your new adventure in life.

Last edited by sware2cod; 03-12-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
I worked 60 hour work weeks from January through April 15 at a CPA firm for a couple of years- 10 hour days Monday through Saturday. With commuting and lunch time added in, they were really 13 hour days. I really was living at the office and only came home to sleep. I had Sunday off, but I used it to catch up on lost sleep from the rest of the week. I sure didn't have time to post on Internet forums. I now work 40 hour weeks making the same amount I made at my 60 hour a week hell job. Don't miss it one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment