Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,122,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
they also hire the kind of people who will get fired for like, punching their boss or swearing out a customer
Sometimes the customers provoke you. There are customers who hurl insults at you because they don't like the store's policy--they're mad that they can't return a stereo they bought 6 months ago without a receipt.... For minimum wage, no one is going to stand there and let someone berate them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,766 times
Minimum wage workers who take on a $hitty attitude either because of or in spite of their low wages, probably won't be doing much of anything with their lives unless they do some serious personal recalibration.

Minimum wage workers who take on a positive "can do" attitude either because of or in spite of their low wages, are the ones in a far better position to move on to bigger and better things.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Minimum wage workers who take on a $hitty attitude either because of or in spite of their low wages probably won't be doing much of anything with their lives unless they do some serious personal recalibration.

Minimum wage workers who take on a positive "can do" attitude either because of or in spite of their low wages are the ones in a far better position to move on to bigger and better things.
That is certainly not always true. I've known people who had crappy attitudes who found much better paying jobs.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
That is certainly not always true. I've known people who had crappy attitudes who found much better paying jobs.
I was speaking in generalities, not absolute truth. List all the anecdotes and exceptions that you want, but what I said is true far more often than not.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I was speaking in generalities, not absolute truth. List all the anecdotes and exceptions that you want, but what I said is true far more often than not.
I don't even think what you said can be generalized.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM

And I think it can. Generalizations are called such because with few exceptions, they're generally true.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
Why do they fire their employees for the most trivial things?
Some things are easier to replace than to fix.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Quote:
Sometimes the customers provoke you. There are customers who hurl insults at you because they don't like the store's policy--they're mad that they can't return a stereo they bought 6 months ago without a receipt.... For minimum wage, no one is going to stand there and let someone berate them..
So you're saying these minimum wage workers suck at their job?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,429,310 times
Well they probably hate the job, I don't blame them, the jobs suck that is the other reason for high turnover. You are practically expected to be that kind of employee anyway. Have you ever had job training for some of these minimum wage jobs? It feels like a work-release situation, the way they explain things to you "Ok now this is the locker room, you get ONE fifteen minute break every four hours and you have to write your name down every time you go to the bathroom. You need to wear your name tag at all times. Shifts are 10 hours. You can't sit down if there is nothing to do, you need to be standing at all times. Don't wear your shirt like that. etc. They basically treat you like a moron and expect you to screw up at some point anyways.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:06 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times
I've worked two minimum wage jobs in my lifetime and they were both positive growth experiences. I wasn't working those jobs to make a career out of it but to use it as a stepping stone for better opportunities by gaining work experience and a little extra cash. Minimum wage jobs are NOT meant for folks to earn a living off of and the minimum wage earner should be gaining marketable skills and education to move up to bigger and better things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment