Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,318,390 times

Advertisements

When I worked at Target, and they were still not enforcing child labor laws (kept me there til midnight or later on school nights-store closed at 10) because they could get away with it because if you didn't stay to help clean/organize, you wouldn't have a job the next day. I was sexually harassed multiple times by male managers, its was a hot mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM

640 posts, read 1,216,592 times
Maybe we should have a week of societal shutdown so people can have a long hard thinking session about how to be a human being.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,610,130 times
for me, it's more that even minimum-wage entry-level service jobs in retail, fast-food, customer-service, it seems those specific type of jobs have the most competition when applying

Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 PM

676 posts, read 1,264,590 times
I've worked for minimum wage at a fast food place and a grocery store. And for less than minimum wage as a waitress at a bar (wasn't a very busy place so the tips didn't make up for it). You're earning next to nothing and you have to deal with the public. Some people are pretty nasty/obnoxious to cashiers, etc. You have no set schedule, as it varies week to week. You have to work nights, weekends and sometimes holidays so you can't always make it to gatherings with your friends and family. Though you will sometimes earn time and a half. And at many places, benefits don't kick in until you work more than a certain number of hours a week. If it's slow, the manager will have people clock out to save on payroll.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:10 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,087,409 times
The reasons are multifaceted; places know there is basically an unlimited amount of people that can do that job and are willing to work for minimum wage, a lot of people(as noted in this thread) that will do the least they can because it is minimum wage, a lot of people that will take minimum wage are barely functional due to various reasons, there are a lot that take the job as a stop gap until something better comes along(gotta do what ya gotta do).

Old 09-06-2012, 10:09 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,808,859 times
Working in retail for years, I only had to fire one person. The company policy was minimum wage for all staff. I would have staff that worked there during high school/college for years. Then once they graduated they would move on to a career.

Many times the turnover is so high because it is where many people 'start off'. Once they get a bit of experience it is (or was) easier to go to another company and make more money. Raises are very low for retail, better to jump ship to another job. Same goes for getting a promotion.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Working in retail for years, I only had to fire one person. The company policy was minimum wage for all staff. I would have staff that worked there during high school/college for years. Then once they graduated they would move on to a career.

Many times the turnover is so high because it is where many people 'start off'. Once they get a bit of experience it is (or was) easier to go to another company and make more money. Raises are very low for retail, better to jump ship to another job. Same goes for getting a promotion.
not only that, but it seems like the minimum-wage jobs have the most competition in order to get hired for those jobs

Old 09-08-2012, 03:33 AM

890 posts, read 2,286,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think too often, they have the idea that they aren't getting paid enough to put in any real effort and I believe if you take a job that you have agreed to give it your all at the wage that was discussed. The reason that others in the same job are still there after 5 years is because they have a good work ethic and understand that a day's work is expected for whatever the agreed on salary is. I get so sick of hearing "Well, they really aren't paid that well." when I complain about the job that is being done. Know what? When these people get a job that pays more, they take with them the poor work ethic!
That was not my experience when I worked as a Shift Manager at Papa John's. Most of the employees made an effort to work hard when they were first hired but over time, after being treated like dirt, they got sick of the store always being chronically short-staffed and getting slammed at dinner and having to run around like a chicken with its head cut off and just decided it wasn't worth it to put forth the effort anymore. It was a horrible cycle because we would hire new people but they generally weren't very useful at first while being trained. By the time they were able to do everything, someone who was there longer quit or was fired and we were back to being short-staffed. Eventually, that new employee would go the way of the first one. I got sick of all this after 2+ years and eventually was terminated for being late too much. I dreaded going to work everyday and having to pick up the slack so the company could avoid paying another employee and it was a big relief finally being free of that place. My previous job at another pizza shop was nowhere near as bad...they actually cared about their employees, or at least it seemed that way. Everyone there was generally much happier, despite most of them being paid minimum wage as well.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,721,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Interesting. When I worked in retail there were always a select handful that were there the longest, like maybe 5+ years. How are people like that able to hold onto their job so long and not get fired like all the other employees?
Maybe they actually do their job well?

Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Maybe they actually do their job well?
entry-level should be entry-level experience, but yet they expect or require years of work experience just to get hired for a simple position such as bagging groceries, stocking merchandise, gathering shopping-carts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment