Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,362,368 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I have talked to people who have worked in call centers - about the worst job ever. I would dig ditches first I think....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,021,793 times
I wonder how much of the turnover is due to them being fired as opposed to them finding another job and moving on.

Clearly, if they're minimum wage, and some other job with more benefits comes along, they'd be gone in a flash.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 367,149 times
@ Nyanna: They don't want to give them benefits or the small pay raise that kicks in after 90 days. They use the promise of that to get people in the door, but very, very few ever last long enough to get it.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM

300 posts, read 1,137,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Interesting. When I worked in retail there were always a select handful that were there the longest, like maybe 5+ years. How are people like that able to hold onto their job so long and not get fired like all the other employees?
I'm working in retail right now for 5 years and well I don't know what to tell you besides that I have never been promoted so it's almost as bad.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:05 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,123,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
@ Nyanna: They don't want to give them benefits or the small pay raise that kicks in after 90 days. They use the promise of that to get people in the door, but very, very few ever last long enough to get it.
Ah, I know their had to be a reason. I worked as a Nurse's Assistant in a nursing home, and they have an incredibly high turn-over rate; I'd say higher than retail. Right before the average employees' 90 days are up they go on a firing rampage, & then begin to recruit a fresh new batch of CNAs. You may have one or two that don't get terminated. It's really sad that companies are doing this. I wish a policy would kick in to stop this from happening.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,751,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Why do they fire their employees for the most trivial things?
What makes you think the high turnover is due to the employers firing the employees?

And is this thread serious?

The job's minimum wage. No one expects anyone to work for minimum wage very long.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think too often, they have the idea that they aren't getting paid enough to put in any real effort and I believe if you take a job that you have agreed to give it your all at the wage that was discussed. The reason that others in the same job are still there after 5 years is because they have a good work ethic and understand that a day's work is expected for whatever the agreed on salary is. I get so sick of hearing "Well, they really aren't paid that well." when I complain about the job that is being done. Know what? When these people get a job that pays more, they take with them the poor work ethic!
You must be in management? The trutkoh is employers often fail to describe all job duties In an interview. Lower paying jobs are usually stressful and overly demanding. Sometimes management look down on them and mistreat them while they sit in their big offices doing nothing. I just quit my job that has a high turnover bcuz of management. We made lots of sacrifices for them and they showed no appreciation or offered any incentives. And it is proven that workers perform better when their fairly paid for the job they do. Yeah a handful of people Will put in 5+ years but that's bcuz they have no other options or not trying to do better.

Last edited by natbugg10; 09-05-2012 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think too often, they have the idea that they aren't getting paid enough to put in any real effort and I believe if you take a job that you have agreed to give it your all at the wage that was discussed. The reason that others in the same job are still there after 5 years is because they have a good work ethic and understand that a day's work is expected for whatever the agreed on salary is. I get so sick of hearing "Well, they really aren't paid that well." when I complain about the job that is being done. Know what? When these people get a job that pays more, they take with them the poor work ethic!
You must be in management? The truth is employers often fail to describe all job duties In an interview. Lower paying jobs are usually stressful and overly demanding. Sometimes management look down on them and mistreat them while they sit in their big offices doing nothing. I just quit my job that has a high turnover bcuz of management. We made lots of sacrifices for them and they showed no appreciation or offered any incentives. And it is proven that workers perform better when their fairly paid for the job they do. Yeah a handful of people Will put in 5+ years but that's bcuz they have no other options or not trying to do better.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM

385 posts, read 358,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
min. wage was $4.25 an hour in 1993, which is the equivalent of $6.33/hr today, so effectively the minimum wage HAS gone up.
That's using the government's inflation numbers though which are altered. (to put it simply they use a basket of commodities to find an inflation rate, but say one item goes up a lot, they just replace it with an item in that category that has not) if they were doing it honestly they wouldn't replace anything, sure some items might go up more than the average for that type of commodity but some would also be up less than the average.

Go to shadowstats for a breakdown of real inflation if you are curious.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 AM

640 posts, read 1,215,280 times
It's more then just the wage. Bosses can treat employees like dirt and replace you tomorrow. But if you were in the coal mines in the 30's you could tell the boss to buzz off and have another job tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment