Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Minimum wage is $9.04 here in WA.
I knew that... in most places it's not though so I posted the lesser more common number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times
Minimum wage workers can be and are fired for any reason. Applied for a job minimum wage job 100's had applied for it as well. Too be fair however it is getting that way for almost any job these days

Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
You don't exactly get the most qualified employees at minimum wage. Sure they quit as soon as they find something better. And if all they can get is minimum wage there's a good chance they don't take showing up every day too seriously.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Minnimun wage does not buy loyalty

Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
is this a serious question?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,696 times
Around here there are call centers that fire everyone before they can get through the 90 day probation. They're like people mills, the ads appear in the classifieds every 89 days. They do it because they can get away with it since people are desperate for work. I was a temp for a couple of days for the receptionist at one of these places. They had an armed guard because the mostly recently fired bunch were coming to pick up their paychecks. They all told me: "You don't ever want to really work here."

Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
The bigger question is how do people live on $7.25 an hr. That was a decent wage back in like 1988.

My first job upon graduation in 1993 paid $7.50 ... can't imagine trying to live on that now even with the little debt that I have.
min. wage was $4.25 an hour in 1993, which is the equivalent of $6.33/hr today, so effectively the minimum wage HAS gone up.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Minimum wage workers who take on a positive "can do" attitude either because of or in spite of their low wages, are the ones in a far better position to move on to bigger and better things.

Excellent point. Especially younger people entering the workforce for the first time at minimum wage - oftentimes one has to start at the bottom and work their way up. Many of us sucked it up early in life doing a mundane job for minimum wage - fast forward 10-15 years and we're doing much better in terms of both the jobs we do and the money we make.

If someone in the work-force is still making working for minimum wage because they are not qualified to do any other type of job...the job is likely not the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I've worked two minimum wage jobs in my lifetime and they were both positive growth experiences. I wasn't working those jobs to make a career out of it but to use it as a stepping stone for better opportunities by gaining work experience and a little extra cash. Minimum wage jobs are NOT meant for folks to earn a living off of and the minimum wage earner should be gaining marketable skills and education to move up to bigger and better things.

In my case, I worked for minimum wage in college delivering pizzas for 3 years - in order to help me pay for my degree, which then allowed me to go to grad school, which allowed me to get a real entry level job in my field, which eventually led to me having the job, position and salary that I have now.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
Around here there are call centers that fire everyone before they can get through the 90 day probation. They're like people mills, the ads appear in the classifieds every 89 days. They do it because they can get away with it since people are desperate for work. I was a temp for a couple of days for the receptionist at one of these places. They had an armed guard because the mostly recently fired bunch were coming to pick up their paychecks. They all told me: "You don't ever want to really work here."
Why don't they want to keep their workers longer than 90 days? surely everybody couldn't have been a bad worker

Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Minnimun wage does not buy loyalty
What's today's going rate for selling your soul, or doing what goes against your own self-interest?

I want a loyal pet, a loyal spouse/SO, loyal friends. Loyalty at the workplace doesn't interest me, at any price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment