Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 05:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,247,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
entry-level should be entry-level experience, but yet they expect or require years of work experience just to get hired for a simple position such as bagging groceries, stocking merchandise, gathering shopping-carts
The reason for this is because in the current economy there are plenty of skilled and experienced workers available to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,610,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The reason for this is because in the current economy there are plenty of skilled and experienced workers available to work.
yeah, which is why i started volunteering, because unfortuneately it looks attractive to hiring-managers, employers, looks good on a resume, i'm only doing it just to meet my employment needs, not for giving back to the community, just like the job-seeker and the hiring-managers both have different perspectives

Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
yeah, which is why i started volunteering, because unfortuneately it looks attractive to hiring-managers, employers, looks good on a resume, i'm only doing it just to meet my employment needs, not for giving back to the community, just like the job-seeker and the hiring-managers both have different perspectives
If someone offered you a job that paid $4/hour tomorrow and it was legal to do so, would you take that job? Why or why not? I am assuming that you are currently unemployed.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,610,986 times
Quote:
If someone offered you a job that paid $4/hour tomorrow and it was legal to do so, would you take that job? Why or why not? I am assuming that you are currently unemployed.
i sure absolutely would

Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
i sure absolutely would
Now that is interesting. Imagine the impact of a $4 minimum wage. An employer can hire twice as many people for the same amount of $$. This leads to more people being employed, while increasing productivity. Hopefully the increased productivity would lead to a more successful business, resulting in greater economic impact.

Ofcourse, now you have two people with a lower poverty income rather than one person with poverty income and another without a job.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 AM

640 posts, read 1,217,099 times
That's the beauty of it. Everybody wins in the end.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
That's the beauty of it. Everybody wins in the end.
This is almost always true when written as "Everybody, deserving, wins in the end."

Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,780,425 times
Quote:
Now that is interesting. Imagine the impact of a $4 minimum wage. An employer can hire twice as many people for the same amount of $$. This leads to more people being employed, while increasing productivity. Hopefully the increased productivity would lead to a more successful business, resulting in greater economic impact.

Ofcourse, now you have two people with a lower poverty income rather than one person with poverty income and another without a job.
People making $4/hr can't buy very much.

Furthermore, why would you people who whine about all of the people on government assistance want to put MORE people on government assistance?

I know, logic, it isn't welcome here, all of that mess...

Old 09-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
People making $4/hr can't buy very much.

Furthermore, why would you people who whine about all of the people on government assistance want to put MORE people on government assistance?

I know, logic, it isn't welcome here, all of that mess...
Your logic doesn't pan out here.

It doesn't change government payout. Instead of one person receiving ϑ, now two people would receive ϑ/2. Government payout would be the same. This is all theory of course... because someone making $8/hr right now is probably also getting government assistance.

I don't think we've changed demand at all. $8/hour was being pumped into the economy by one job before and now $8/hour is being pumped into the economy via 2 jobs. The dollar amount stays the same. The difference is that now there is twice as much productivity for the business, and two people gaining experience rather than one sitting on the sidelines never getting an opportunity.

Again, this is all just food for thought based on the previous poster who said they absolutely would work for $4/hour. I wonder how many others would.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:33 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,780,425 times
Quote:
This is all theory of course...
But of course...

Quote:
Again, this is all just food for thought based on the previous poster who said they absolutely would work for $4/hour.
Said individual doesn't understand how complicated the situation is. Consider the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment