Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
What's worse is the colleges now aren't making an effort to help you look for at least an internship. They don't make any efforts at all.

All they are able to help me with is with my resume, but I already tried that and it still isn't helping. I need more connections.
Bogus! My school helped almost everyone get a job... even in recent years. I know many graduates from other schools that have had the same experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
One size fits all.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:00 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Exactly. The only thing that is predictable is the "well-connected" person.
Having someone who is a decision-maker, etc., etc., who can get someone to hire you.
Of course, this is harder than just words, and a lot of it is brown-nosing.
I was just never willing to play up to someone for a job or flatter them.
That's how most of the people I know was hired. It wasn't because they were well qualified or they were intelligent, but because had friends or family willing to help them. When you don't have that, then you are forced to be on your own which makes it more complicated.

My cousin got a job at the hospital only because her mother worked there. Must be nice...

Old 07-11-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Most don't have any job placement services. It's a huge myth out there that a school is going to get someone a job once they got a degree from that school.

The whole internship is a big deal now. Long ago, in the 70s, employers paid you to come and train at their business. They paid you for coming on board, learning their product or services, and your time and effort. Now, those things are all dismissed as nothing.

If you go into a place, you get some manager who is barely 25, filing her nails in her office, with flip-flops on bare feet, chewing gum. If you ask a question, they rarely have an answer, and rarely, do they care.
A lot of them are unpaid internships also, that won't pay the bills or help with student loan debt.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Bogus! My school helped almost everyone get a job... even in recent years. I know many graduates from other schools that have had the same experience.
So just because some had luck with it then it should apply to everybody? You can't be that much of a simpleton.

Life doesn't work like that. Just because you had luck doesn't apply to everybody else.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
So just because some had luck with it then it should apply to everybody? You can't be that much of a simpleton.

Life doesn't work like that. Just because you had luck doesn't apply to everybody else.
You are posting your personal examples so you are calling yourself a simpleton.

I got my internship via my school and they have a highly respected career resource center. I get emails all the time for workshops and invites back for job fairs. A lot depends on the school you attended and how employers want to be involved with that school.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:

Sounds like you went to a crappy school. More than likely, you paid too much. Funny how "life" works out... It tends to punish bad decisions. There is a rhyme and reason for everything. Far too often, people look to blame outside forces when they should be asking, what could I have done different...

And no, that does NOT mean young people en mass should avoid college.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I was chatting with my neighbor today and he was telling me he and his girlfriend are moving to a different state where it is cheaper and he can hopefully find SOME work, even retail work.
I encouraged him as a single guy to get out and keep trying to find a good place to live, to move around, look for some easier way of life.
He's 23 or 24 and never had a real job.
It's not from lack of trying. He goes to college part time and has worked for relatives but is from a rural area and since living here, he cannot find a job.
It's a pity that life has to be like this for people. We have generations growing up worse than their parents. Not everyone is LAZY or too good for a retail job. He said he would work retail but no one has called him.
This is an articulate, decent young man, not a weirdo or dirty or whatever the FOX crowd uses to justify why there is no work in this country for young people, older people, people who lost their jobs.
I have a nephew who can't find a job and is 18 years old. His brother is 16 and looking for part time work. These kids WANT to work, they want what we had, a part time job at store, or Dunkin Donuts or Friendly's or a burger shop.
It's just hard for everyone but these kids don't even get to put a foot in the door and start to make money or earn experience. Eventually these kids are going to get angry being locked out of jobs and it will be bad for society.
I remember being 18 and the companies treated you okay. You got bonuses, raises, lunch breaks, steady hours. These kids have no idea what that is like.
I find it sad. I just wanted to say it.
I hear ya! There are some amazing young people out there, well educated and eager to begin their careers and work is just so scarce. I always thought that when the "baby boomers" like me began to retire that there would be work for the younger kids. It is just not happening. The cost of living now is tough even for someone who is retirement age so folks keep on working. My friend has a granddaughter who graduated from high school this past June and wants desperately to go to school for nursing. She is working one part time retail position and is going to interview for a second to save for school. Her Grandma raised her and her twin brother and is still raising a handicapped child who is her brother and on disability. Grandma is a hero in my book. Raised 4 of her own and 4 grandkids from a drug addicted daughter who ran the streets and kept getting pregnant. This child who will be working the two jobs knows her Grandparents can't afford to put her thru school so she is working her way through.
Hopefully more Baby Boomers will be able to retire and live on their Social Security and Pension benefits and leave more doors open for the younger folks. Hopefully employers will see that these kids are willing to work, willing to learn and do deserve a real chance at a good life.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
That's how most of the people I know was hired. It wasn't because they were well qualified or they were intelligent, but because had friends or family willing to help them. When you don't have that, then you are forced to be on your own which makes it more complicated.
My cousin got a job at the hospital only because her mother worked there. Must be nice...
Here are a few secrets to perhaps "selling yourself and your capabilities in the work environment". My sister use to be a Human Resources person, responsible for hiring, firing, etc. She told me recently that the first place a potential employer looks to get a feel for how a person will be on a job is FACEBOOK..yup, the employers are looking at FACEBOOK..also that they look at TWITTER or MYSPACE so be careful what you are doing on all those places. With the way people get on those sites, even this one and say and do what they do...could be a bad thing if you are not careful.
When you go into a potential place of employment try not to tell them what hours you have available. Ask them what hours THEY have available because you really want to work. Make them feel that you will be a valuable asset to their company and that you are willing to learn all aspects of the job. It is important that your job search goes further than handing them a piece of paper with your background on it. You have to be able to TALK your way into a position.
Lastly...bigger is NOT better. Keep your resume short, sweet and to the point. Employers don't want to have to go thru pages and pages of information. This is where the talking comes into play...what you don't spell out in writing, TALK about it.
Good luck...think of how proud you are going to be when you get a job ALL BY YOURSELF!!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:

I only needed one example to show how bogus your comment was. I followed that up with a general statement about my friends from other schools. Luck has nothing to do with it. We didn't want to waste our time so we made decisions in our best interest.

Now that others here have followed up with their experiences you will realize that your experience, while potentially shared by others, is not true about everyone else or the student population in general.

The real question is.... Do you feel it was appropriate to attend a school that would be unable to place you at a job? In this economy, that initial experience is so helpful. It seems too important to dismiss.

Last edited by NJBest; 07-11-2012 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment