Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is It Fair That Smokers Get Extra Breaks?
I am a smoker and it doesn't bother me 8 6.84%
Im a smoker and I DO NOT think it is fair 6 5.13%
Im a non smoker and it doesn't bother me 27 23.08%
Im a non smoker and I DO NOT think it is fair 76 64.96%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Thats a good example of someone abusing their ability to take breaks. Bottom line is, if smokers get to go out as often as they like, the same should go for nonsmokers.

Why would they? What difference does it make?
I don't know. As a cook myself, I find the idea of the guy chain smoking then going back to make my meal a bit off putting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
More and more, I'm beginning to think that it isn't the smoke-breaks you don't like - it's the smokers. Now may I suggest that when the smokers return from all but the usual, company-mandated break, all the non-smokers rise as one and take their non-smoking break.

One of two things will happen: management will take the reins or you will all continue to get your multiple breaks.

If work doesn't get done because of all the break-time, management will surely have to address the issue and fairness will reign. It is possible that management will reach a state of high dudgeon and fire the lot of you. Proceed with caution.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I don't know. As a cook myself, I find the idea of the guy chain smoking then going back to make my meal a bit off putting.
How is someone smoking a cigarette before they prepare your food going to contaminate your meal?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
i don't smoke and often feel sorry for the smokers who are outside... it is often COLD or RAINY, sometimes its sweltering HOT and they are huddled up out there getting their fix. ITs reallly sad.. the only times I am jealous is when its a nice early autumn day and I wish I were out there as well. but those are few and far between.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
First, a chain smoker is someone who smokes non-stop. So, someone who chain smokes would not be able to "return" from chan smoking. Second, I think youfind the idea off-putting because of this..........

Quote:
More and more, I'm beginning to think that it isn't the smoke-breaks you don't like - it's the smokers.
You see smokers as sick and vile people for no other reason than the fact they smoke. It's not your fault though, and I don't hold it against you. The gov't and many huge companies such as BIG-pharma spend billions of dollars every year to make sure you and others hold the opinions you do. They have been quite effective at dehumanizing the smoker amongst public opinion.

Me personaly? Well, I'm far more worried about the cook who just got back from taking a big s@#! and not washing their hands. They are much more of a hazard to my health than any smoker could ever be. Thats just me though.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,405 times
I smoke and the only break I take is to go outside smoke a cigarette and then go wash my hands. If it wasnt for that then I wouldn't take a break.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
First, a chain smoker is someone who smokes non-stop. So, someone who chain smokes would not be able to "return" from chan smoking. Second, I think youfind the idea off-putting because of this..........

Yes, most likely.

You see smokers as sick and vile people for no other reason than the fact they smoke. It's not your fault though, and I don't hold it against you. The gov't and many huge companies such as BIG-pharma spend billions of dollars every year to make sure you and others hold the opinions you do. They have been quite effective at dehumanizing the smoker amongst public opinion.

I agree, and it's not very good in one breath they say smoking is bad yet make big money from it.

Me personaly? Well, I'm far more worried about the cook who just got back from taking a big s@#! and not washing their hands. They are much more of a hazard to my health than any smoker could ever be. Thats just me though.
Yes, this is just gross!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times
I could care less if people want to take 50 smoke breaks a day that is their issue as well as Boss'.
What i cant stand is having to walk thru a cloud of smoke of people that dont want to adhere to building policy to only smoke in designated areas.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I could care less if people want to take 50 smoke breaks a day that is their issue as well as Boss'.
What i cant stand is having to walk thru a cloud of smoke of people that dont want to adhere to building policy to only smoke in designated areas.
I understand. And I respectfully submit that no one here is going to be able to help you with this. Time to narc 'em out.

As an ex-smoker, I have seen both sides. First, you ask nicely. Then you ask firmly. Then you do whatever you have to do for your own comfort.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Here's the deal. Nothing in life is fair. And it never will be fair.

Yes, the smokers do get an extra break here and there. But so does everyone else. You look at the news or weather. Answer an email or take a personal call. You check to make sure the kids got home from school and are behaving. Make a doctor appointment. Everyone does something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment