Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I think it's all part of the protection thing. They are insecure and fear for their jobs. They are afraid someone competent will be hired, and take their jobs. So they put a lot between you and them, including not being available.

That's why they are secretive too. I've seen employees do that too, so no one really knows what they are doing.
I think that is a little paranoid. This may be the case in a few situations, but I don't believe it is the vast majority.

First, when I hire someone, I would love to hire someone who has the capability of eventually replacing me. Quite frankly someone NEEDS to be able to fill my shoes when I move on to another position. I am always looking at my next replacement-- its called succession planning.

Second, hiring is a super tiny component of my goals, work, etc. I may be in the office but in meetings, conference calls, working on a deadline, etc. Honestly, I am just not going to field questions from job applicants.

Interviewing and reviewing resumes is a very small fraction of what I need to do. It is important sure, but not as if for the two jobs I have open right now I am hurting to get candidates. Maybe if it were-- I would have more time dedicated to just that task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
The "in" thing now is where jobs that were always considered menial are now demanding resumes and tux suits. Requiring resumes for menial jobs is really stupid because that leaves unexperienced young people that NOTHING TO PUT ON a resume forced out. What employers have done is essentially forced out millions of young people from entering the workforce.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
The "in" thing now is where jobs that were always considered menial are now demanding resumes and tux suits. Requiring resumes for menial jobs is really stupid because that leaves unexperienced young people that NOTHING TO PUT ON a resume forced out. What employers have done is essentially forced out millions of young people from entering the workforce.
That's not true.

If you're fresh out of school, you can list in your resume your accomplishments and skills.

For example, did you win any scholarships? Were you a part of any clubs? Did you win any awards? Did you have a good GPA? Do you have a Diploma or Degree? Did you attend a top high school or a top college? What skills relevant to the position did you learn in school?

You can even go above and beyond and create your own portfolio and business cards. Most people DO NOT create their own a portfolio and business cards for job searches (especially for the jobs you're applying for), so they'll help you stand out above the rest as a very professional candidate. It'll also give the employer a visual idea of how good your work quality and ethic truly is (I.E., include work samples relevant to the job you're applying for), and they'll see that you do have the potential to be a great worker they don't want to pass up. I would also dress up in a nice business suit and present your portfolio to them as if you were already an employee and giving them a real presentation about a business strategy in their company (speak loud, clearly, articulately, make eye contact, stand up, etc.). You can create and bring two portfolio to the interview, one for them to look through while you're presenting it and one for yourself.

I understand how hard it is for everyone looking for work, especially you with your disability. Doing the above things may still not lead to any prospects yet, but it still doesn't hurt to utilize every possible option you have so they can't come up with any ol' excuse not to hire you. Doing the above will seem especially impressive from someone of your age, as they'll see you as defying the "young kids are all lazy and entiteld and don't want to work hard" stereotype.

Last edited by 313Weather; 07-28-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
I dropped out of high school and got a ged so I don't have any history of clubs. I used to get honor rolls every year in grade school. The main thing they are expecting is work experience. Legal work history which I have very little of except for seasonal work. In my opinion there is no justification to what they are expecting. I also have another problem on my hands which is discrimination. If I disclose my disability and they have unrealistic assumptions about said disability they will choose someone else over me. But if I don't tell them and they find out later they will do whatever it takes to get me to quit voluntarily, because firing me would be a violation of the ADA. I am also trying to get off of SSI because it's not enough to live on and I could make triple what I get working minimum wage.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:12 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
That's why I had to embellish my resume a little bit to "fill it up." It was looking empty when I graduated from college, but I had to create the illusion that had so much going for me as an applicant. I didn't lie on my resume, but I definitely try my damnedest to make it look more attractive.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 AM

I had my interview today, I will not disclose where, but so far I think I might get this job. I'm not getting my hopes up though, but the store manager was already talking about promotion opportunities for me based on my background, so...I hope that's a good sign! I have to wait till Monday to see if he actually calls. He called me for an interview...that's rare nowadays...so I see that as a good sign.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:40 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
It used to be you knew at the end of the interview if you got the job. Heck if you got an interview you had the job

Old 07-29-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
It used to be you knew at the end of the interview if you got the job. Heck if you got an interview you had the job
Yeah I don't want to get my hopes up, but I feel somewhat confident afterwards. Usually I always feel like I did something wrong, but there was already talk about probable promotion in the future. Also, the store manager told me they had to talk to the district manager. I'm not sure why for a store associate job. Usually after you talk to the head person in charge of the store, you either knew or you didn't know.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Yeah I don't want to get my hopes up, but I feel somewhat confident afterwards. Usually I always feel like I did something wrong, but there was already talk about probable promotion in the future. Also, the store manager told me they had to talk to the district manager. I'm not sure why for a store associate job. Usually after you talk to the head person in charge of the store, you either knew or you didn't know.
DM's offices sometimes limit total store payroll hours, so it could be he needs it eased to actually fill the position. It is usually fluid, based on recent sales volume.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
DM's offices sometimes limit total store payroll hours, so it could be he needs it eased to actually fill the position. It is usually fluid, based on recent sales volume.
I hope that's what it is. I just hope I got it. Most of my interviews never included the DM unless it was a supervisory position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment