Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
Yep and at that worthwhile job of yours you are sitting on your behind and reading posts by the likes of me on an internet message board.
I have been reading resumes and calling candidates. I have also answered a few support calls. What have you been doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Yep and at that worthwhile job of yours you are sitting on your behind and reading posts by the likes of me on an internet message board.
Try again. I do not post from work. I am too busy and do not feel it is right ethically, especially as I am busy enough to fill my time with work.

I work M-F 8:30-5. This gives me plenty of time to post on the weekends. Especially those when my car is in the shop.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
Quote:
Ok here is the deal: I got screwed out of excellent universities in high school because I was depressed/burned out. I had an IB diploma from the best public school in that city boatload of AP/IB courses. 6 years of science (AP Bio/Chem/Phys) AP AB/BC Calc etc. The course history was excellent grades were not all A's because there was no passion there. For a variety of reasons I chose to go to a state university. My early college years the carnage from high school continued(my GPA dropped below 2.0 and went on academic probation) but I switched majors and regained my footing and graduated with an overall GPA of over 3.3 and almost 3.9 in the major. I graduated with a degree in Finance.

The problem is I cant a job ANY job as an accountant (or even accounting clerk I have considerable accounting course work) or anything related to finance in any way shape or form. I see all these jobs advertising 40k/year and up(or even well below like $12/hr) and I am not getting them. I had about 20 interviews(many not related to accounting or finance such as insurance) since I graduated over a year ago and not a single job offer. I don't know of a way to communicate to employers that I am not one of those "state university grads" who spent their years at frat houses. I have analytical skills and there was a paper I did at university and its predictions came true. The problem I see is that corporations seek ivy grads with manicured bios and don't care about late bloomers from state universities. There is nothing I can do to show to Target(or whomever) that I am a cut above the stereotypical "state university grad"

I know very well that accounting is not rocket science and it does not take 3-5 years to learn general ledger accounts payable/receivable(they are a joke). It is not just my opinion my accounting professor in college (who is a CPA and considered me as one of her best students ever) felt the same way.

I don't see how I can get out of this quagmire and onto a job appropriate for a college grad with a legitimate degree and legitimate skills.
Okay, if I were you, I would lose the victim mentality and put on my big boy/girl pants and get a job to have income coming in. Then, get out there and start networking for an accounting job.

Your attitude toward "state university grads" is condescending and makes me think you think you're something special and shouldn't have to work so hard to make 50K. Newsflash, if you want 50K or whatever, it will require some extra effort. If you think you are worth 50K, 100K, or whatever, get out and show an employer. Do some volunteer work. Learn a second or third language.

I would imagine your future boss is likely a state university grad so lose the mentality that you're special and deserve an Ivy degree. BTW I am a state university grad.

BTW, I think any job is worthwhile if it, A: Pays the bills. B: Allows you to buy decent food other than ramen noodles. C: Gets you out of mom's house and allows you to pay for a cheap apartment in low COL area. D: Allows you to buy an occasional luxury item, ie: a DVD or a new pair of shoes.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,896 times
I can't start at the bottom of the ladder when somebody is already there. Houston, we have a problem.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I have been to Apple, Google and Facebook's campus. What are you trying to say? They are interesting but things still come down to being professional and having good customer service etc.
You talked about how they dressed professionally. You have not been to their campus, then, was my point.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
[quote=UnemployedRage;25593559]Ok here is the deal: I got screwed out of excellent universities in high school because I was depressed/burned out.

I'm not sure how being depressed/burned out constitutes being "screwed" out of excellent universities.To my ear, being screwed means someone did something unfair to you. If one has the misfortune to be depressed or whatever, the condition screws the person (I am not going to say "It's your own fault") but no one has screwed anyone.

That sounds like the beginning of a victim attitude, as others have pointed out.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,062 times
Quote:
Yep, I should be cheerful after more than a year of unemployment post college graduation where I strove for excellence and got nothing for it. Getting screwed out of a life must surely feel good. I can understand people who committed crimes but I never had so much as a high school referral in my life(never had a ticket/no arrests/no drug problem)
You are answering your own question.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
Quote:
Ok here is the deal: I got screwed out of excellent universities in high school because I was depressed/burned out. I had an IB diploma from the best public school in that city boatload of AP/IB courses. 6 years of science (AP Bio/Chem/Phys) AP AB/BC Calc etc. The course history was excellent grades were not all A's because there was no passion there. For a variety of reasons I chose to go to a state university. My early college years the carnage from high school continued(my GPA dropped below 2.0 and went on academic probation) but I switched majors and regained my footing and graduated with an overall GPA of over 3.3 and almost 3.9 in the major. I graduated with a degree in Finance.

The problem is I cant a job ANY job as an accountant (or even accounting clerk I have considerable accounting course work) or anything related to finance in any way shape or form. I see all these jobs advertising 40k/year and up(or even well below like $12/hr) and I am not getting them. I had about 20 interviews(many not related to accounting or finance such as insurance) since I graduated over a year ago and not a single job offer. I don't know of a way to communicate to employers that I am not one of those "state university grads" who spent their years at frat houses. I have analytical skills and there was a paper I did at university and its predictions came true. The problem I see is that corporations seek ivy grads with manicured bios and don't care about late bloomers from state universities. There is nothing I can do to show to Target(or whomever) that I am a cut above the stereotypical "state university grad"

I know very well that accounting is not rocket science and it does not take 3-5 years to learn general ledger accounts payable/receivable(they are a joke). It is not just my opinion my accounting professor in college (who is a CPA and considered me as one of her best students ever) felt the same way.

I don't see how I can get out of this quagmire and onto a job appropriate for a college grad with a legitimate degree and legitimate skills.
Have you considered self-employment? You seem like a very high-achiever. I was somewhat in the same boat as you (but your grades are better) and I realized over the years that most employers don't want high achievers in their workplace. The reasons why are discussed all over this forum so I won't go over them but I'd consider doing something on your own if you can swing it. You mentioned that you wrote a paper at the University that came true. Could you do some freelance writing for a news agency? You might also be able to do something with that paper's subject in self-employment or so.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 PM

107 posts, read 382,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Have you considered self-employment? You seem like a very high-achiever. I was somewhat in the same boat as you (but your grades are better) and I realized over the years that most employers don't want high achievers in their workplace. The reasons why are discussed all over this forum so I won't go over them but I'd consider doing something on your own if you can swing it. You mentioned that you wrote a paper at the University that came true. Could you do some freelance writing for a news agency? You might also be able to do something with that paper's subject in self-employment or so.
I am amazed only one person picked up on that. Yes, I am an independent thinking person. I have no desire to be somebody's drone for 40 years. In order to contemplate being your own boss, one needs to have seed money and a plan. I have pathways towards that but they will take time. People around me have no money to spare.

The mindset I have is getting to 45-50k/year by any and all means possible. I would never mention that at the interview but if it takes sweeping floors during 3rd shift at walmart as assistant manager I would do that. I don't care which industry or company takes me but that the pay rate has to be worthwhile. That number is important because it allows to have disposable income where I live and major medical insurance so I could start accumulating money.

The papers I referenced writing in college were about the US airlines industry and then an analsysis of what a particular retailer needs to do. In the airlines industry I mentioned what a horrible industry it was and how every legacy carrier except one went through bankruptcy at least once. The only one at that time never to have been in bankruptcy was American Airlines. As far as company analysis I wrote 20 pages about how acquiring BJs wholesalers was a smart move. I went through all kinds of analyses, whether the acquisition would be barred for monopolistic reasons, whether it was feasible financially, how much synergy there would be product wise and what could be expected long term. I mentioned that BJs was dirt cheap at that time (2.5billion) and that it would not be a public company for long. Several months after I wrote those papers American Airlines went into bankruptcy and BJs was taken private by a private equity group.

I mention those papers (in a short 1 sentence each) on my resume.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:44 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Quote:
I am amazed only one person picked up on that. Yes, I am an independent thinking person. I have no desire to be somebody's drone for 40 years. In order to contemplate being your own boss, one needs to have seed money and a plan. I have pathways towards that but they will take time. People around me have no money to spare.

The mindset I have is getting to 45-50k/year by any and all means possible. I would never mention that at the interview but if it takes sweeping floors during 3rd shift at walmart as assistant manager I would do that. I don't care which industry or company takes me but that the pay rate has to be worthwhile. That number is important because it allows to have disposable income where I live and major medical insurance so I could start accumulating money.

The papers I referenced writing in college were about the US airlines industry and then an analsysis of what a particular retailer needs to do. In the airlines industry I mentioned what a horrible industry it was and how every legacy carrier except one went through bankruptcy at least once. The only one at that time never to have been in bankruptcy was American Airlines. As far as company analysis I wrote 20 pages about how acquiring BJs wholesalers was a smart move. I went through all kinds of analyses, whether the acquisition would be barred for monopolistic reasons, whether it was feasible financially, how much synergy there would be product wise and what could be expected long term. I mentioned that BJs was dirt cheap at that time (2.5billion) and that it would not be a public company for long. Several months after I wrote those papers American Airlines went into bankruptcy and BJs was taken private by a private equity group.

I mention those papers (in a short 1 sentence each) on my resume.

You know whats funny, I graduated from Trinity U in 1980, didn't get an office type job, til 1988, high gpa, and, if you don't know Trinity U, well, google it. the thing is, I paid my dues, took any and every job I could to get the one that finally I got, then my career took off. Nowadays, every college graduate thinks that with the degree they deserve a job, nope, still have to earn it. Nobody is standing at the end of the diploma line and giving out business cards and saying, come work for us. Most of us on here that are professionals and successful will tell you, we worked any and every job we could back then to get our foot in the door to our career. But today, the internet gives every paper holder the right and ability to get out there and say, hey, ita all ya'lls fault, I got a degree and you owe me a job.
[LEFT]Sounds Like Life To Me Lyrics

Darryl Worley

Read more: DARRYL WORLEY - SOUNDS LIKE LIFE TO ME LYRICS DARRYL WORLEY - SOUNDS LIKE LIFE TO ME LYRICS
Copied from MetroLyrics.com
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment