Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 PM

34 posts, read 151,030 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new position in two weeks at Target and just had one question: what's the advancement opportunity at Target? I'll be starting as a Sales Floor Team Member and just wondered if there was any advancement and how to become promoted to these positions, or what their requirements are.

Thanks your your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
Target is a short term employer. That is why you only see very young people working there. Beware.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailmoney View Post
I'm starting a new position in two weeks at Target and just had one question: what's the advancement opportunity at Target? I'll be starting as a Sales Floor Team Member and just wondered if there was any advancement and how to become promoted to these positions, or what their requirements are.

Thanks your your help
I currently work at Target. Advancing is much easier (and faster) when you have a degree, but it can be done to a certain level without a degree. The easiest way to advance is to learn as many positions as possible. After a while on the sales floor, volunteer to be trained in food ave, cashiering, operator, etc. One of the easiest positions to advance to is GSA, which is the manager over the front end. To do this you have to already be trained in guest service. GSAs make a little more than cashiers (while doing 10 times as many things). The next step after GSA is GSTL, but most of the GSTLs I have worked with have had degrees.

All new hires are on a 90 day probationary period. Once you are off your probation, I would advise you to talk to your TL about your interest in advancing within the company. Most TLs would love to hear that and would try to help you.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Target is a short term employer. That is why you only see very young people working there. Beware.
Not at all true. Target does have high turnover like any retailer, because for many it is a transition-type job until they find a career or better position somewhere else, however, for people who don't want to pursue college or those with worthless degrees, Target is a great place to climb up the ladder and pursue a career. Heck, even many of my ETLs have relevant degrees and yet they are still working salaried positions at Target because they love it.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM

34 posts, read 151,030 times
What opportunities are available without a degree? For those that require a degree, what major and type of degree are required?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
My best friend's mom works for target over the last few years and got promoted to supervisor and seems to like it. She is in a Florida location..

Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailmoney View Post
What opportunities are available without a degree? For those that require a degree, what major and type of degree are required?
It varies on what opportunities are available without a degree. Your work ethic is a contributing factor. And they accept any kind of degree. I would never obtain a degree simply to work at Target. Most people with degrees are there as a last resort type situation.

Target has their own message board (filled with people who in my opinion take Target way too seriously)- http://www.thebreakroom.org They will be able to provide you with more information.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,131 times
I agree that the entry level jobs are pretty much about your work ethic. You can get identified and moved into management in time.

My husband worked at Target for a while when he was laid off from his job a number of years ago. They like his work ethic so much that they wanted to put him on track for a store supervisor, but he does not have a doesn't have any inclination towards retail and avoids being promoted to management at all costs. He says the store where he worked was a good environment with a decent mix of ages of people. He did like his time there and tells younger people all the time to try working for Target as a part-time job. His daughter's boyfriend worked at a major Target here for a while and was also put into management training. He had not yet graduated from college at the time. He only left because, upon getting his degree, he got a better offer at another retail store.

If I were you, I would talk to the people who work there. Go into the store and talk to the people doing restocking and also try to catch a manager. Do it at a couple of stores in the area that you are interested in.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM

815 posts, read 737,048 times
It's not a terrible place to work. I did a holiday season a few years ago, it was absolute hell because of the absolute nasty customers you get at that time of year, but the store did everything they could to make it better. On really busy days they often had a lot of free food for us in the breakroom.

That said, I would not have wanted to be there very long term, the pay was bad, the benefits and paid time off nonexistant, and God are those Walkies annoying as all hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment