Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times

Advertisements

I got laid off from my teaching job in 2009. Due to the weak economy, I had to take whatever job I could find to pay the bills. I found a job in a factory making medical products. I absolutely hate my job. I deal with pain in the heels of my feet all the time, but can't quit my job. I have been trying to find something else, but have not had much luck yet. I have been looking for elementary teaching and office jobs. I have teaching experience, excellent computer skills, and am pretty good working with the general public. I also speak some Spanish.

I have considered going into the medical field because it has always interested me, but I don't want to take out student loans for school.

I am worried that I will never get out of this job and will be stuck here forever because my most recent experience is manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
What is in demand? Would would you have to do to satisfy the demand?
Are you willing to relocate?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM

29,796 posts, read 24,880,628 times
What kind of manufacturing job do you have? There are a lot of crappy, low paying, terrible quality jobs in manufacturing. Those are the jobs that have been going to China over the years, which is largely why they pay garbage. Have you looked into some of the more technical jobs the field has to offer? I worked in a shop that had 50% women running their CNC swiss machines. Very easy to operate, doesn't require heavy lifting, and work environments are often climate controlled. Before the recession, those operators could earn $20/hr if they were reliable, but today, that's probably a $15/hr job, but generally has a lot of OT potential. When a company finds a decent person they can depend on, they will do everything to hold on to them because reliable workers are not easy to find. As far as upward potential, after a few years of experience, you could move up to setting up the machines, which can pay over $20/hr without much problem.

I love swiss machines, and there is generally little hassle involved running them. Operating is kinda boring, but those workers get treated decent anywhere I've been. You have the right experience it sounds like, and I'm sure you have no problem with basic mathematics given your background and education. If you're down and out, this might be something worth considering, given that these kinds of workers are definitely in demand and hard to find. I moved up from operating CNC machines years ago, but I regularly get offers from companies in the $16-$20/hr range because companies are always looking for operators, particularly for swiss machines. Some companies do offer training opportunities. These types of jobs tend to be more restricted to larger cities, which might be the only obstacle.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Yes, I am willing to relocate. There are probably a few foreign countries I would be willing to to move to. I am in Indiana which is a minimum wage hell unless you work in healthcare or engineering. That's where the good jobs are in Indiana. The factory jobs in this area are all crappy pay, assembly jobs that pay $8-$10 an hour. I basically pull wires all day which is hurting my wrists. It is really boring and not challenging.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
sell drugs. it is not as much work, and you make your own hours.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:16 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
What exactly does "excellent computer skills" mean? I would assume with you being bilingual you could find some sort of secretary job or desk job of some sorts. You seem to be very qualified for plenty of positions. Maybe a move to Chicago or some other major city would be a good idea.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Were you not on your feet all day as a Teacher? Buy better shoes or get insoles for the ones you have.

If you want to switch carrier fields you will probably need to get student loans.

There are a LOT schools out there that are basically scams, be careful.

DO NOT sell drugs, unless you are at the top of the pyramid, your carrier doesn't last long.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
If you are looking for an office job, try a temp agency or craigslist. If you score well on their MS Office assessment tests and type 60+ WPM, it will be easy for you to place. You want to sign up with 2 or 3 agencies, they often encourage it.

I got my first office job through a temp agency.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If you are looking for an office job, try a temp agency or craigslist. If you score well on their MS Office assessment tests and type 60+ WPM, it will be easy for you to place. You want to sign up with 2 or 3 agencies, they often encourage it.

I got my first office job through a temp agency.
I have got two of the three jobs I have had since college by way of a "temp agency", some on this site claim they are a waste of time but those same people seem to have a problem keeping and/or finding another job regardless of the method.

My advice would be to stay away from Craigslist, too many scams and those up to no good.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Yes, I am willing to relocate. There are probably a few foreign countries I would be willing to to move to.
Teach overseas. With your experience and credentials, you could probably get a really sweet job in Japan, Korea, or someplace like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment